Just back from the Majesty of the Sea

Spent last week on the beautiful Majesty of the Sea. We had some medical circumstances that changed our outlook about the cruise so I wont try to write an objective review of the cruise. I am sure Royal Caribbean puts on a wonderful cruise, our frame of mind just wasnt into it. I will say I dont think RCCL is as guest friendly as Carnival was for the simple fact that they dont alter their shows to suit dining times. There is only one showing of a show per nite so you must decide on dining or making the show. Also I wasnt impressed with the floater drinks. I prefer to have my drink mixed before I get it. I wont bad mouth RCCL at all, because as I said we had to alter our cruise style due to my wifes health. I will try to answer any questions I can about the Majesty and the 4 night cruise. I will say it is the most beautiful ship I have been on to date and the dining room servers we had were our best. I probably would cruise RCCL again if the itinirery we wanted was only available by them but personally I like Carnival better, nothing against RCCL, we just had better cruises with Carnival.

Spent last week on the beautiful Majesty of the Sea. We had some medical circumstances that changed our outlook about the cruise so I wont try to write an objective review of the cruise. I am sure Royal Caribbean puts on a wonderful cruise, our frame of mind just wasnt into it. I will say I dont think RCCL is as guest friendly as Carnival was for the simple fact that they dont alter their shows to suit dining times. There is only one showing of a show per nite so you must decide on dining or making the show. Also I wasnt impressed with the floater drinks. I prefer to have my drink mixed before I get it. I wont bad mouth RCCL at all, because as I said we had to alter our cruise style due to my wifes health. I will try to answer any questions I can about the Majesty and the 4 night cruise. I will say it is the most beautiful ship I have been on to date and the dining room servers we had were our best. I probably would cruise RCCL again if the itinirery we wanted was only available by them but personally I like Carnival better, nothing against RCCL, we just had better cruises with Carnival.

Do they not have two shows to accomodate both dinner seatings? We were on her last summer and they had two shows each night.

Off topic, is Hickman just south of Paducah? I only live about an hour northwest of Paducah.

Tim

Thanks for posting about your trip. I'm sorry to hear that your wife had some health issues. We will be sailing in January on the 4 night and we've chosen the late seating for dinner. Will this interfere with the show time?

Can you tell us a little about your stateroom? Also is Sorrento's a restaurant where you must pay?

I appreciate any info that you can share as this is our first trip with RCCL.Thanks!

Thanks for posting about your trip. I'm sorry to hear that your wife had some health issues. We will be sailing in January on the 4 night and we've chosen the late seating for dinner. Will this interfere with the show time?

Can you tell us a little about your stateroom? Also is Sorrento's a restaurant where you must pay?

I appreciate any info that you can share as this is our first trip with RCCL.Thanks!

On Majesty, Sorrentos is located just above the Windjammer and is free. Plus its open late, its about the only thing to eat at midnight.

Do they not have two shows to accomodate both dinner seatings? We were on her last summer and they had two shows each night.

Off topic, is Hickman just south of Paducah? I only live about an hour northwest of Paducah.

Tim

Hickman is southwest of Paducah, western most county in Ky about an hour from Paducah

They have several differents shows during the night but only one showing, for instance they had a juggler one nite at 7:45 i believe. If you had late seating you wouldve had to have chosen which you wanted to do. With early seating it wasnt a problem but if you had something else you wanted to do you didnt have an option to see the same show at another time. This was not the case on the carnival cruises we took.

We decided on an inside cabin this time to save a little money and it was the tiniest room we've had. Another area I think Carnival is better. The bed was just a metal bed with a hard mattress on top. Carnival bedding is wonderful so it would be hard to top anyhow. I dont wanna sound negative, but the bed was subpar I thought.

Here is another poster who is quite surprised at the statement about only 1 show. On other ships there has been an alternate show when in port or the ice skating show instead of the theatre show, but most shows were 2 a night. Perhaps with some shows before dinner for late seating and some after, poster missed a few shows? (I did say perhaps)

We leave on the 4 nighter in 2 weeks and cannot wait. In Key West do they make you clear immigration and or customs?

All you have to do in Key West is clear immigrations. You will be asked to bring your passport or birth certificate to the immigrations people then you

can go out and enjoy beautiful Key West.

All you have to do in Key West is clear immigrations. You will be asked to bring your passport or birth certificate to the immigrations people then you

can go out and enjoy beautiful Key West.

That's what I thought, thanks. How long did that take?

Revisiting the subject of only one show a night. When we have sailed Majesty which is has been twice a year (for some reason), the first night is one show, but it is scheduled at a "between time" so that diners from either seating can see it. It is NOT scheduled at the same time as a dinner seating. On subsequent nights, the first show is for the late seating guests and the second show is timed for the first seating guests.

Maybe something went wrong on your cruise that this schedule was not followed. If so, that is unfortunate. I can't imagine why RCI would pay, house, and feed performers, then have them do only one show then add insult to injury by scheduling the one show during a dinner seating.

We decided on an inside cabin this time to save a little money and it was the tiniest room we've had. Another area I think Carnival is better. The bed was just a metal bed with a hard mattress on top. Carnival bedding is wonderful so it would be hard to top anyhow. I dont wanna sound negative, but the bed was subpar I thought.

It is well known that the Sovereign Class has the smallest rooms. They were build late 80s early 90s. So yeah, compare to newer ships (including Carnival) and even compared to the Fantasy Class those rooms are small.

We had the opposite experience. We cruised Carnival before RCI.

And sorry to say: I can not believe that they had only one show per night.

But I will check it out next week. I put this thread into my bookmarks and will post my opinion.

:cool:

I know things can change and maybe they have recently. We've been on Majesty 4 times since January (latest being in August) and there were two shows nightly except for the first night.

Nothing changed. The OP must have either misread the Compass, or read it on Day 1 where there is only 1 show at 745pm and assumed it was the same for the remaining nights.

I also found his comment about the "rock hard mattress" to be odd since the new bedding is far from hard. He's just lucky he never had to sleep on the old mattresses. :cool:

Yes, I was on the Majesty two weeks ago, and except for the first night, there were two shows each night to accomodate both early and late dinner seating guests. The first night, the show was 7:45, so the early dinner people could come as soon as they finished eating, and the late dinner seating (which was either 8:30 or 8:45 on the first night) could come before dinner.

I'm always amused when people compare old ships on one cruise line with newer ships on other cruise lines. Maybe they should compare the Carnival Holiday with RCL's Majesty. Apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

I'm always amused when people compare old ships on one cruise line with newer ships on other cruise lines. Maybe they should compare the Carnival Holiday with RCL's Majesty. Apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

The Majesty is probably closer to the Fantasy Class in age and in particular to the Sensation in age. But you are right, it doesn't help if one compares apples to oranges. ;)

Archived