50 dollar salary?

Glassrobinson

What they make is their business. AND

They are all CON men working us all for bigger tips. And I don't blame them a bit. But I will not engage in that conversation with them.

Dan

Yeah....How dare they try to con us by keeping our rooms clean, our bathrooms spotless, handling our dirty linens...Serving our meals quick and correctly, remembering our names and what we dirnk....providing us service with a smile.....yep it is their job.....but most do it well.....

So I guess anyone that does their job well is a con artist.....! Do you do your job Well ????

Actually it said $2200 To $2800 ....$2200 is 26,400 a year....it's all mostly from Tips....and I wonder how many hours a week they work to earn that....bet it's a lot more than 40

A regular Room Steward makes around $22,000 a year with tips and the assistant Room Steward makes around $15,000 with tips

Again I wonder how many hours a week they work. Cleaning those rooms, hallways, moving the luggage, etc....etc......fetching for us...

A LOT more than most of them could ever hope to make in their home country. Also, they are not paying for their rooms, meals, etc. Obviously, they hate their jobs since I've only met very friendly, helpful, happy crew on our cruises.

I also think it's very RUDE to ask someone what they make and it's totally OUT OF LINE for an employee of the cruise line to tell a guest. All of you that think it's perfectly acceptable to ask what a cruiseline employee makes, do you tell them what you make?

My husband worked for RCI for almost 7 years and it is $50 before deductions such as cabin cleaning, internet, laundry bar bill. He was a waiter and there were many cruises where the last night people were Ninjas No shows to pay the tips. Many of theese guys and calls choose this but it is not nice for table of 10 not to you pay you because they do not show up on the last night. But I think Carnival does try to prevent this from happening by attomatically pre pay of tips.

Lexi

I have no doubt that the wages are this low-how do you think they keep the prices so competitive? It is one of the reasons that they do not register in North America. The very last thing the cruise lines want is to be subject to US labor law, employment standards, worker's compensation etc. The savings are high, even when compared to the huge amount of money that the majors spend on lobby firms. Having said all that, like others, I love to cruise. And who among us would like to be away from home for 10 months a year and work 12 hours a day or more, six days per week. Just one of the reasons the Hawaii-Hawaii run had so many glitches.

A LOT more than most of them could ever hope to make in their home country. Also, they are not paying for their rooms, meals, etc. Obviously, they hate their jobs since I've only met very friendly, helpful, happy crew on our cruises.

I also think it's very RUDE to ask someone what they make and it's totally OUT OF LINE for an employee of the cruise line to tell a guest. All of you that think it's perfectly acceptable to ask what a cruiseline employee makes, do you tell them what you make?

Actually I agree it is Rude....You make a good point.......I was just making a point based on the discussion at hand.

I'm sure there are a handfull of crise employees that play up to people in some way to get better tips....

However, we are almost always impressed enough with the day to day job they do to feel they have earned more than the basic tip.

I have no doubt that the wages are this low-how do you think they keep the prices so competitive? It is one of the reasons that they do not register in North America. The very last thing the cruise lines want is to be subject to US labor law, employment standards, worker's compensation etc. The savings are high, even when compared to the huge amount of money that the majors spend on lobby firms. Having said all that, like others, I love to cruise. And who among us would like to be away from home for 10 months a year and work 12 hours a day or more, six days per week. Just one of the reasons the Hawaii-Hawaii run had so many glitches.

I would do it in an instant and I think there are many others who would as well,as long as its apples to apples.

Many of the crew come from places where a years salary is $2000 (minimum wage is under $1) but on the ship they earn 10X that or $20,000.

So here in the USA, where the wage is $7.50, I would do it for 10X,which would be $150,000.

Steve

I would do it in an instant and I think there are many others who would as well,as long as its apples to apples.

Many of the crew come from places where a years salary is $2000 (minimum wage is under $1) but on the ship they earn 10X that or $20,000.

So here in the USA, where the wage is $7.50, I would do it for 10X,which would be $150,000.

Steve

Is that $150K with auto-tip or without?:D

Never mind, I don't want to ask you income questions.:eek:

Dan

For those that remove the auto tip so they can personally hand out the tips- did you know that when you remove that tip, the crew gets questioned as to why a tip was removed by a guest?! This can make it very uncomfortable for the people who waited on you all week. We always leave the tip on and then tip extra to those who have gone out of their way to make our trip special. We usually always tip extra to all-only once did we not tip the room steward extra as he was very grumpy!

Pat-13 cruises with Carnival and counting

For those that remove the auto tip so they can personally hand out the tips- did you know that when you remove that tip, the crew gets questioned as to why a tip was removed by a guest?! This can make it very uncomfortable for the people who waited on you all week. We always leave the tip on and then tip extra to those who have gone out of their way to make our trip special. We usually always tip extra to all-only once did we not tip the room steward extra as he was very grumpy!

I believe the crew is questioned, but some on this board believe that it does not happen. Other than crew saying they ARE questioned [and I agree that that is suspect] neither POV has any proof one way or the other.

I thing I am sure of tho, the non-passenger areas of a ship IS a small community. I cannot imagine there is much that happens that the entire hotel crew does not know about. Probably deck crew too. So if the Purser's office has a list of those who removed the auto-tip [and they do] then EVERY tipped worker knows that list very quickly. Carnival's official policy is to not inform the crew until the cruise is over. But I'm sure that when they tell the workers, none of them are surprised.

Dan

Can you back that up with anything in writing? Or did you hear that from your mothers brothers sisters sons girlfriends hairdressers neighbor?

Steve

Can you back that up with anything in writing? Or did you hear that from your mothers brothers sisters sons girlfriends hairdressers neighbor?

Steve

SEE POST # 85

quickrate cannot prove IN WRITING that they ARE questioned.

Steveaaaa cannot prove IN WRITING that they are not questioned.

A horse and a horse!

Dan

I would love to see that when the removal of tips is requested, the purser's desk or whomever is asked to do so, has to ask why the tips are being removed. If it is "I want to tip on my own" or some other bs reason, they would be told, no can do.

I do wish, and I know I am a minority, that tips were changed by all the lines to be service charges that can't be removed. Hotels do it and there isn't anything that can be done unless things are really bad. NCL has a policy that if something is wrong you need to tell them immediately or you basically lose the right to remove part/all of a charge.

If Carnival and all it's other lines, Royal Caribbean and it's lines did it, the cheapos would either have to tip as agreed or maybe, not sail. I know there are people who can go to the bar and ring up huge bills, but sadly, have nothing left for tips. The service charge makes sure that all get their tips.

I know my opinion is not popular and I accept that. I also know that if my suggestion were accepted, these boards would have a lot less to talk about, lol.

Off my soapbox for a minute or two anyway.

I was told once by a girl working in the lounge that they paid no taxes because they did not have a country they lived in . This was about 15 years ago. I did not ask her how much she made, I had commented on how hard she was working...her reply was she had the best job in the world, free room and board, got a day off in a port each week,paid no taxes (we asked why not,that is why she mentioned it) Not sure if it has changed.

Steve

We have become close with some of the crew and don't doubt their word as they would have no reason to lie to us as tippig has never been an issue for us and they know this. Therefore, no reason to want to impress us with a hard luck story.

Carnival does care about service and expects their crew to meet their customers expectations. At least most of the customers-some people are never happy! If someone removes the tip, they want to know why!

Pat

The cold hard fact is they live off their tips. They can make more money on the tips we pay than if they stayed at home and worked 16 hours a day at two jobs to support their family. They can may several hundred on in tips a sailing, so they can easily take home more than $1000 a month. If they send 75% of that home and keep 25% for their own needs then they are doing very well...

The cost of living in many of the third world nations is not much at all. Some countries it is as low as $1/day to feed a family. Our cruise was rerouted and we did find out that the wage/salary in Belize and Honduras is very low. What I make in a day they make in a month. They don't live as well as I do, but they do have the basics food, clothing, and shelter. The shelter may be sparse and might have water/electricity, but it is shelter. Thus, a country like the Phillipies and Indonesia it is possible for a family to live comfortably with only $5/day.

As for the shop staff on the ship, I do believe they work on commissions. You can tell they do by the eager-beaver upselling they try to do on the Bling Bling they sell.

The maitre'd's (???) would be better paid because tipping for them is optional...and the one on the Liberty does very well....good looks, a good bod, an flirting with the ladies means he probably does well...

I would love to see that when the removal of tips is requested, the purser's desk or whomever is asked to do so, has to ask why the tips are being removed. If it is "I want to tip on my own" or some other bs reason, they would be told, no can do.

I do wish, and I know I am a minority, that tips were changed by all the lines to be service charges that can't be removed. Hotels do it and there isn't anything that can be done unless things are really bad. NCL has a policy that if something is wrong you need to tell them immediately or you basically lose the right to remove part/all of a charge.

If Carnival and all it's other lines, Royal Caribbean and it's lines did it, the cheapos would either have to tip as agreed or maybe, not sail. I know there are people who can go to the bar and ring up huge bills, but sadly, have nothing left for tips. The service charge makes sure that all get their tips.

I know my opinion is not popular and I accept that. I also know that if my suggestion were accepted, these boards would have a lot less to talk about, lol.

Off my soapbox for a minute or two anyway.

I think you have the wrong cheapos.

They are the cruiselines.They want to appear cheap,and by using the word tip,they can appear to be cheaper than a land vacation.It is their fault the crew gets stiffed and as you stated,a non removable service charge would take care of it

All the ads....sail a week for $499!

We all know that is not true.After tips,fuel surcharge,booze,and excursions,its more like double.

Steve

I think you have the wrong cheapos.

They are the cruiselines.They want to appear cheap,and by using the word tip,they can appear to be cheaper than a land vacation.It is their fault the crew gets stiffed and as you stated,a non removable service charge would take care of it

All the ads....sail a week for $499!

We all know that is not true.After tips,fuel surcharge,booze,and excursions,its more like double.

Steve

"appear to be cheaper than a land vacation."

Are you telling us that you do not tip on land EITHER?:confused:

And with your obvious and deep seated hate of all things cruiseline, one wonders of your purpose here?

Dan

Archived