Cruising in Oct 09!!!

jen09

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum but looking from some proper advise from the experts!! ;) We are in the process of booking our honeymoon for next year (start of Oct 09), we are going to do a week in Orlando and then a 7 night eastern carribean cruise from Port Canavrel and then on to Las Vegas after the cruise only problem is............... everybody keeps telling us we are mad because it is in hurricane season :( Can anyone tell me are we taking a major risk, I am not tied to places to visit so will not be too upset if we had to go of course but would be a bit miffed if the whole cruise had to be cancelled. Have many cruises been totally cancelled and if this happens what do people do!!! :confused: :confused: I know Im asking about something that no one can predict but just looking for a general consensous on whether we're mad or not!:) Is early October a very bad time or not so bad!!

Thanks,

Jen

I wouldn't say you're crazy. We have done 3 cruises all at the height of hurricane season (Sept 6th is my anniversary), we have never had a cancelled cruise. And actually, although Hannah, Ike and Josephine were all active on the last cruise, the weater was PERFECT....just beautiful.

I'll tell you what I was most worried about this last time...I was worried about the 6 days spent pre-cruise in Orlando. You can't move Orlando if a hurricane comes through...but you CAN move a cruise ship.

The captain will not steer the ship into a hurricane. His primary concern is the safety of the passengers. So no worries there.

The worst that can happen, your itineraries may be reversed. You may miss a port if the hurricane damaged it. And the ship may sail from a different port. Some of the ships that were scheduled to leave Port Canaveral were actually taken to Port Everglades - the passengers were taken by bus to the new location.

Cruising any time during "hurricane season" is a crap shoot. I just got back from a Caribbean cruise (Oct 5-12) and the weather was PERFECT. Now, less than a week later, Hurricane Omar is brewing. We usually cruise either spring (April-May) or fall (Sept-Oct). The only summer cruise we've taken is to Alaska in June, and obviously hurricanes are no threat there. We've never had any weather problems other than the occasional local storm. So I wouldn't say you're mad to go then. It's just up to you.

Canceled cruises happen very rarely. If this occurred, it would mean a major hurricane had hit the area, destroying all in it's path (and the loss of your cruise would be the least of your worries :eek:). Because of this year's disaster in Galveston, and the devastation wreaked by Katrina in 2005, memories are fresh in people's minds. However, even in 2004, when Florida was pummelled by hurricane after hurricane, cruising continued in Florida's ports.

What is very possible is your itinerary will have to be changed to sail around storms. This could mean a canceled port or (if you're lucky) one port substituted for another. While it's also fresh in people's minds that some Carnival passengers "mutinied" this year over such itinerary changes (or the lack of information given about the reason for these changes), such circumstances are also rare. Your ship's captain will keep you safe. Even if your cruise turns into a 1 week "cruise to nowhere", you should have a wonderful time.

Cruises are almost never never cancelled, they may be delayed by a day or two or extended, and you may go to another port or not go into a port, but the cruise is not cancelled.

That being said I was on the Conquest during Ike. I am still dealing with my insurance company over my submerged car. Not going to all our ports was the least of my worries.

Getting home from New Orleans and finding alternative transportation wasnt fun when all the phone lines are jammed. The lines to make calls from the pursers desk or getting onto the internet were hours long.

Carnival only helped those who booked air thru them, the rest of us were on our own to find our way home from New Orleans (we went out at Galveston).

As the above poster mentioned, you might go out of a difffernt port like Ft. Lauderdale instead of Port Canaveral. You may have booked transportation to Port Canaveral and need to go to Ft. Lauderdale, it happened this past hurricane season, or as in my case we were dumped in New Orleans. So you may come home to a different port and be on your own to get to the airport you booked a flight out of. Be prepared.

The worst that can happen, your itineraries may be reversed. You may miss a port if the hurricane damaged it. And the ship may sail from a different port. .

We also spent $200 on extra drugs, we brought 3 extra days and got worried that wouldnt be enough and took a cab in Cozumel to the hospital to get a extra weeks worth of drugs, we wouldnt make that mistake again.

Go prepared that you may not get home when expected. Tell your job and get phone numbers in case you need to call someone where you are supposed to be, like work when the cruise is over. I didnt bring phone numbers for reaching people the following week, mistake.

Make sure you have enough credit on credit cards to get home from a different port and unexpected expenses due to being taken to another port. I know some ships went out of Ft. Lauderdale instead of Port Canaveral in addition to what happened to us.

People who booked flights on points lost the credit and had to pay for new flights. Just be aware it could cost extra and you might need phone numbers to reach your insurance, your job, your airline, your bridge game, on and on if you dont get home on time.

Thanks guys, think we'll take a chance!! If on the unlikely chance that they cancel the whole cruise, do they refund you the cost of the cruise or what way does it work!! :confused: :confused:

If you're cruise is canceled, your fare will be refunded. Sometimes, cruise companies give you an "extra" - like part credit for a future cruise by way of apology.

Being affected by a hurricane is like "winning" the lottery. Millions of people "play", but few "win" :cool:.

Firefly 333 has a genuine beef. Many people here posted very rude things. I don't think I was one of them :eek: .

If you're cruise is canceled, your fare will be refunded. Sometimes, cruise companies give you an "extra" - like part credit for a future cruise by way of apology.

Being affected by a hurricane is like "winning" the lottery. Millions of people "play", but few "win" :cool:.

Firefly 333 has a genuine beef. Many people here posted very rude things. I don't think I was one of them :eek: .

Sorry, I shouldnt have said everyone on CC was rude and uncaring, a few were and Im sure you were not rude, sorry, but the majority came down very hard on me, saying YOU KNEW THE RISK, etc. Who would have parked their car in a parking lot that went underwater if they knew there was that kind of risk.

I booked the cruise in April 07, barely a newbie, two cruises under my belt. Looked forward so much to my cruise for a year and a half. Anyone making light of having to get home from another port, hasnt been thru it on the ship probably. Phone lines are jammed and its hours wait for either a phone line or a computer at the internet cafe (not discounted, still couldnt get on).

Just be aware it isnt as easy as folks here make out to go out of or go home from another port. sounds much easier when its not you.

We have sailed in hurricane season a couple of times. One time was beautiful and one time we were right on the edge of Hurricane Jeanne. We felt a lot of motion and some people were sick. We ended up having all of our ports canceled b/c of the storm. We sat off of the coast of Cuba for several days with other ships around us. It was so cool to see all the ships (5 or 6) just hanging out there. We did eventually get to one port.

We were not able to return the day we were supposed to b/c all of the ports in Florida were closed. We were given $100 OBC per stateroom for our inconvenience and the phone lines and internet was free for contacting/making new arrangements. We did return one day late to Fort Lauderdale (our port was Port Canaveral). We were bussed back to Port Canaveral.

It was quite an adventure. Lots of people were mad, but had a great time!

It is indeed a risk to cruise in October, however, there can be weather risks that might occur at any city or resort that you might choose for your honeymoon. You can have endless rain, for example, or searing heat or freezing, unseasonable cold.

Montana just had a heavy snow storm this week. Hardly anyone--actually NO ONE can guarantee great weather a year from now in any place you might wish to honeymoon.

Archived