Cruise Rules....... ? ? ?

sail7seas

We Love Cruising has a wonderful thread on-going with review of her and DH's recent Maasdam cruise. In it she mentioned, DH broke one of their cruise rules and had a sweet at lunch. :D

Got me thinking.......

Do you have any 'cruise rules' you try hard to follow (or don't try so hard ;) ) and might be fun to share.

Some folks have a rule to never use the elevators and always walk the stairs while on a ship.

How about you?

We have the elevator rule. Other than that my husband has no rules. My rule is to try not to eat everything in site. Actually I try to eat pretty much like I do at home, but that is difficult so I do my best to pick out the best choices and allow myself some goodies. Well if it is chocolate I do tend to stray, or wonderful pastries!

Great question, Sail.

We have several rules that we try to live by, but can't always follow. :rolleyes:

1. Don't eat breakfast in the Lido. (Too much food) We order room service and therefore we tend to eat healthier, at least for breakfast.

2. Take the stairs

3. Do laps on the Promenade

4. Workout in the gym

Gosh, it sounds like work, not fun! I'm going to have to re-examine some of these so-called rules. ;)

Our rules are simple:

Try to always use the stairs no matter how far you're going.

Walk each day.

Don't feel guilty about a thing.

Lay around more than at home...especially reading or doing puzzles.

Don't stress about the small stuff.

Be willing to change plans on a moment's notice i.e. "gee, that band in the lounge sounds great! Should we stop here for a few minutes?"(even though we were on our way to dinner)Requires communication and compromise which we are so willing to do on a cruise...much more so than at home.

Respect the service people who are helping you.

Try new things but don't eat with wild abandon...there is a tomorrow!

Pay attention to each other.

As we have aged, we find that we cannot eat as much so really don't "hurt them too badly", as we like to say.

Rule 1: never do your own laundry on a cruise.

Rule 2: always make good use of the salon/spa

Rule 3: always have the HAL bread pudding but otherwise fruit/cheese

desserts

Rule 4: seafood, seafood, seafood

Rule 5: always take own bottle of aged port wine

Rule 6: make new friends and enjoy

Rule 7: remind self TSA is only doing their job

---- Penny

Ha! Since I'm a "vacation only" drinker, I'm not very good at it. My rule has to be:

2 glasses of wine - or - 1 Spanish Coffee, per day

Otherwise, I'm not such a pretty picture. Though I can keep DH in stitches when I break my own rule. :)

1. I MUST have a daily martini (but only one). :D

2. I MUST take the stairs (unless I'm in heels and a long dress on formal night).

3. I MUST only eat dessert at dinner.

1. always take the stairs (well, almost)
  2. try to order only food I won't cook at home (I only eat escargot on a cruise)
  3. don't let my eyes be bigger than my stomach, meaning don't take/order more than I can reasonably expect to eat.
  4. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Two non-eating rules:

Do not touch the handrails on the stairs--unless it's rocky.

Do not press the elevator buttons with our fingers, knuckles only.

The eating rules have been pretty much covered. We too eat in the dining room and avoid the buffet (too much food!) and don't stuff ourselves. There will be another cruise! (I tend to not gain weight or only gain a pound or so by following these rules.) We always intend to work out and hardly ever do. :) My own personal rule is to not eat the bread. Sure, it's good, but if I eat the bread, I'm always over-full.

Robin

We have several:

Stairs only (before dinner time)

walk on deck every day

No bread before dinner (not very successful with this one)

Late seating for dinner

Coctail in a quiet lounge before dinner, which we NEVER miss LOL(means missing early shows).

Formal means formal (for us).

Ken

Our Rules:

Walk Promenade Deck often for exercise;

Use gym in addition or at least treadmills if raining/windy.

Walk a lot in port;

Take things slow - we're on vacation and DH needs the unstressful time off

Do not spend time with people we are not enjoying;

Always, always appreciate how hard the crew is trying to provide us with the most wonderful cruise possible. That is an easy one to follow as they are all so incredibly friendly, professional and just plain nice on HAL ships.

Always remember this could be our last cruise (who ever knows for sure???) and to enjoy it to the max!!

We do a lot of the same food and walking Rules that were mentioned above. Also not touching things.

The one rule I haven't seen that we always try and do is pick up the stateroom before leaving for the day so the steward can do his job easily.

I see so many staterooms w/ doors open that look like a tornado hit them.

One of my first teenager jobs was being a maid at the Holiday Inn in Destin Florida and I had to clean around some of those tornado rooms and it's not easy and takes twice the time.

I almost always eat in the buffet at breakfast, and often at lunch. Never fill the plate too full, pretend the ship is rolling and you have to balace, after trying a bite or two of a new item you like go back for a small serving after the first plate.

Always have a substantial breakfast with plenty of protein, especially if you have a ship tour booked.

Stairs; used to use all the time but now just 2 decks up and 2 or 3 down at one time.

Drink water throughout the day.

Use the stairs. Walk miles around the deck while chatting away.

Be amazed by the crew and grateful to be aboard.

Have some wine.

Enjoy fresh air and ocean breezes.

Dress nicely for the dining room.

The safety drill is a time to hush.

Make sure to have another cruise booked.

Check out the fancy ice cream offerings.

I follow the stairs rule as well. If I am cruising with my kids (young adults) there is no exception to the stair rule no matter what I am wearing. I do find it amusing, we all proclaim to use the stairs, and yet there is always a huge line up at the elevators!:)

I follow the stairs rule as well. If I am cruising with my kids (young adults) there is no exception to the stair rule no matter what I am wearing. I do find it amusing, we all proclaim to use the stairs, and yet there is always a huge line up at the elevators!:)

Rules are for breaking! :D :D

Archived