Get off the ship!!

CruiseFan24

My DH and I were in Roatan last week and as we were waiting for the elevator to go down to deck 0 and get off the ship a lady told us "Have you seen it out there? You should just stay on the ship". Well, luckily we did not listen to her or we would have missed out on a wonderful day and experience. I would suggest doing your research before you go instead of staying on the ship. I used CC and found a wonderful place to visit in Roatan. I admit at first glance from the ship it may not look inviting. There is a lot of construction going on right now right where the ships dock. Then going through the crowd of people trying to sell you a taxi ride is a little intimidating but as long as you have a plan and know what you're there to do, you will have a great time!

It is sad but there are a lot of people just like her out there.

We have been to Roatan twice and it is a beautiful island

What Island doesn't have taxis or people trying to sell you stuff :confused:

just say "no thank you"

My DH and I were in Roatan last week and as we were waiting for the elevator to go down to deck 0 and get off the ship a lady told us "Have you seen it out there? You should just stay on the ship". Well, luckily we did not listen to her or we would have missed out on a wonderful day and experience. I would suggest doing your research before you go instead of staying on the ship. I used CC and found a wonderful place to visit in Roatan. I admit at first glance from the ship it may not look inviting. There is a lot of construction going on right now right where the ships dock. Then going through the crowd of people trying to sell you a taxi ride is a little intimidating but as long as you have a plan and know what you're there to do, you will have a great time!

CruiseFan24 how about sharing this wonderful place to visit in Roatan. Thanks

Fins and Flippers is a wonderful place to spend the day. We were only at Roatan from 3 - 8 and I was so glad I found this place before we left for the cruise. Eight of us all booked together and we were the only ones there the whole time. If you scan throught the Roatan board there are lots of reviews to read. You can also go right to their web site.

Check out the website for Roatan Cab Company. It was run by two girls who were delightful. They met us outside the gate with a sign posting our name. We made arrangements before we left, but if we did not get off the ship, we lost nothing. They met our every needs as asked and showed their beautiful island with a stop at the Mayan Princess Hotel for a swim using the pool and the beach for additional $10. and a stop at a store for lovely clothing for locals (great prices). This trip was two years ago, but we would not hesitate to book them again. I don't remember the cost but I remember that it was quite fair.

--Activate sarcasm mode:

If you are going to have a bad experience, at least make it your own! You can have your very own unhappy adventure, live to tell about it, and then kvetch to all and sundry.:mad: But don't waste an opportunity to be unhappy by staying aboard ship--get down that gangplank and be disappointed!:mad: If you rely on others' opinions, you lose your kvetching rights. :mad:

And God forbid you should actually, against all odds, have a good time! Why, your whole vacation would be endangered! :eek:

--Sarcasm mode off.

(Hit the beach. Have fun. Or at least give it a decent chance. You might be pleasantly surprised!)

We visited Roatan a few years ago with a group of friends. I had heard of a place on the side of the island away from the ship dock, so another couple joined us in renting a cab. The driver was from Hondouras and didn't know his way, but he stopped and picked up a kid (probably planned) to tell him the roads to take. We ended at a hotel so small (they also had cabins) and tucked into the trees so well you could easily miss it. The lady with us was affraid to get out of the cab, but DW and I went to the hotel and found out we could use a picnic table in sight at no charge and swim from there, also that the restaurant and bar were open and a waiter would serve us wherever we were. We said fine, send him with a round of good beer and 2 cokes for our driver and friend.

We had a picnic table in the shade, a rocky place in the sun, and there were steps down into the most beautiful bay I ever saw with coral and small fish all over. Just knee deep in the large area I carefully walked.

We kept the driver and cab there and bought them burgers, plus we had several beers and some burgers for very little money.

A wonderful day!

• 2 months later...

My two cents.

I love Roatan. I've been there twice and really enjoyed it. Did I get a few sand flea bites the first time..yes. The second time I went I saw the most amazing coral reefs I had ever seen in my life. Does it look cruddy and nasty by the port? Yes. BUT once you get past the port and hit the beaches it is beautiful.

My two cents.

I love Roatan. I've been there twice and really enjoyed it. Did I get a few sand flea bites the first time..yes. The second time I went I saw the most amazing coral reefs I had ever seen in my life. Does it look cruddy and nasty by the port? Yes. BUT once you get past the port and hit the beaches it is beautiful.

So what did you do the 2nd time to not get the flea bites? Will deet work for this?

Archived