Boarding time for Summit from San Juan??

capegranny

Can anyone tell me the typical boarding time for Summit with an expected 11 p.m. sail-away? For example, will it be in time for lunch - or later? We're trying to decide what to do in San Juan that morning and it would help to know how much time is available - but we DO like to board as soon as it's allowed.

We've taken two cruises with late sailings (10 or 11PM) from San Juan - both on the Galaxy. We arrived around noon both times and the ship had already started boarding. Dinner the first night had two seatings at the normal time, but each was open seating (seated at random tables as you arrived). You're handed a card on boarding that directs you to which dinner seating you should attend that first night, depending on boarding time, which might not be your seating time for the remainder of the cruise - although they're pretty good about letting you switch if you ask.

We ended up meeting people from our roll call in the bar before the first night's dinner and sat together that night which was a fun way to meet each other.

We've taken two cruises with late sailings (10 or 11PM) from San Juan - both on the Galaxy. We arrived around noon both times and the ship had already started boarding. Dinner the first night had two seatings at the normal time, but each was open seating (seated at random tables as you arrived). You're handed a card on boarding that directs you to which dinner seating you should attend that first night, depending on boarding time, which might not be your seating time for the remainder of the cruise - although they're pretty good about letting you switch if you ask.

We ended up meeting people from our roll call in the bar before the first night's dinner and sat together that night which was a fun way to meet each other.

It is exactly what happend on our TA from SJU on SUMMIT earlier this year.

About an hour before departure the lifeboat drill took place.

it is usually open seating for both dining times for a later departure. i think the reason for this is because people are still boarding late as some flights don't get in until later in the day. they do hand you a card upon boarding informing you of which seating to attend, however anytime i got main seating for the first night i informed them i was not willing to have dinner then and they always switched me to second seating no problem.

Hi capegranny,

As a number before me said, there will be two open seatings for dinner. What I always find nice about an 11:00 p.m. sailing is that if you fly down the day before, check-out of the hotel is usually around 11:00 a.m. You can grab a cab to the ship, board around 11:30 a.m. You'll already be dressed for the weather so if your bags don't arrive quickly at your cabin, don't worry. Go have lunch on board, check out the ship, maybe take a cab to Old San Juan for a few hours, come back, take a power nap, unpack, perhaps a cocktail if you're so inclined, relax and get ready for a great cruise!!!!

Barry

Barry : that time table is exactly what we did that last 2x on X out of SJ and what we'll be doing on 1/17. Sometimes we stay at the hotel's pool to about noon and then go to the ship for lunch. see you on the ship

Barry : that time table is exactly what we did that last 2x on X out of SJ and what we'll be doing on 1/17. Sometimes we stay at the hotel's pool to about noon and then go to the ship for lunch. see you on the ship

Hi Judy and Mike,

This will be the first time that we're not flying in the night before but we land at 11:15 a.m. Our friend Sweetair said that anything can be changed for a price and each day closer to the cruise makes that statement more tempting to act on. I hate second guessing, so I'll cross my fingers and afew prayers for good weather;) .

See you guys onboard and on roll calls.

Barry

Sadly, my family will not be able to fly into San Juan the day prior to departure (12/20). Our flight does not arrive until 5:30 p.m. on the day of departure. Our TA advised us that we should have plenty of time to get our bags, grab a taxi, and board the Summit with no problem. Has anyone had a similar schedule? Thanks for any comments.

Sadly, my family will not be able to fly into San Juan the day prior to departure (12/20). Our flight does not arrive until 5:30 p.m. on the day of departure. Our TA advised us that we should have plenty of time to get our bags, grab a taxi, and board the Summit with no problem. Has anyone had a similar schedule? Thanks for any comments.

JesMil, we're on the 12/20 Summit from San Juan, and we're starting to have some action on the Roll Call thread. There are 46 or so people signed up for the X connections get-together (or whatever it's called).

We are: me, DH, 3 DD (17, 17 and 15). There seems to be a pretty good age range of kids--mostly teens, I think--and multi-generations signed up for this cruise.

Come over to the thread and say hello!

With the late (11PM) sailing out of SJU, I think there will be plenty of cruisers flying in the day of embarkation. Our group of 10 will be among them. It is not our preferred way to cruise, but sometime circumstance do not allow the options we prefer. And if it means flying in same day, or not cruising...I'll choose cruising!:p

I think we should be prepared that life does not always permit us to enjoy "Plan A" and should have some contingency plans (Plan B, C etc) AND travel insurance for a back-up plan.:o

I think we can board up to an hour before departure. I have never been on a cruise when someone did not board after the lifeboat drill. I don't know how cruise lines meet the requirement of everyone doing a lifeboat drill. Do they have a Special Latecomers Drill?:eek:

Lobster129

JesMil, we're on the 12/20 Summit from San Juan, and we're starting to have some action on the Roll Call thread. There are 46 or so people signed up for the X connections get-together (or whatever it's called).

We are: me, DH, 3 DD (17, 17 and 15). There seems to be a pretty good age range of kids--mostly teens, I think--and multi-generations signed up for this cruise.

Lobster, you are making me feel better about our Plan B situation. PerlGirl, I will hop over to the roll call when I have a few minutes. Thanks!

Lobster, you are making me feel better about our Plan B situation. PerlGirl, I will hop over to the roll call when I have a few minutes. Thanks!

JesMil,

We're on the Summit on 12/20 from San Juan also. There are 5 of us - 1 will be in PR already for business, 2 in Atlanta and 2 in St. Louis. We're leaving STL on a 7:25 am (yuck) flight and connecting in ATL to meet the other 2. We arrive in San Juan at 3:43.

I'm trying to decide in 12/20 will be a really busy airport day.....

JesMil,

We're on the Summit on 12/20 from San Juan also. There are 5 of us - 1 will be in PR already for business, 2 in Atlanta and 2 in St. Louis. We're leaving STL on a 7:25 am (yuck) flight and connecting in ATL to meet the other 2. We arrive in San Juan at 3:43.

I'm trying to decide in 12/20 will be a really busy airport day.....

Hi lcmslady. Yes, I bet it will be a busy airport day. It sounds like you have a great group arriving for the cruise. You are lucky that you are getting in at 3:43 p.m. We will not arrive until closer to 6:00 p.m. How are you planning to get to the cruise terminal? Do you know how long it takes to get from Airport to Terminal?

Jesmil: In February, 2 years ago, we were on the Connie that was to depart out of SJ I think at 10, but due to a big snow storm in the midwest, a number of flights were cancelled or delayed. Both our ship and the RCI one in front of us were held up until midnight for some planes to arrive. Unfortunately if you did not book the air with the cruise line or buy insurance, you were out of luck.

The cab ride from the airport to the ship isn't long, probably 15 minutes - give or take a little.

All guests are always required to do the Muster Drill, regardless of how tired they are or how many times they have done it before. While they may seem somewhat pointless and mundane at times, since problems are so rare, the very basic procedures learned in the drill can be a lifesaver should a real problem arise. It is important emergency training for both you and the staff.

We've sailed from San Juan twice. One of the times our day aboard was a sea day so they held the drill at 10am the first morning - but most of the time the drills are held just before scheduled sail away the first evening.

Hi lcmslady. Yes, I bet it will be a busy airport day. It sounds like you have a great group arriving for the cruise. You are lucky that you are getting in at 3:43 p.m. We will not arrive until closer to 6:00 p.m. How are you planning to get to the cruise terminal? Do you know how long it takes to get from Airport to Terminal?

JesMil,

Originally, I thought we would be getting in around 6:00 but managed to pull together a flight out of ATL that got us in a little earlier.

This will be the first time that I've sailed out of San Juan, so I can't say how long it takes. I would imagine that there are lots of taxis available. My DBIL will be in SJ for business that week and is making arrangements for someone from his client to pick the rest of us up at the airport and take us to the pier.

At this point, I'm hoping for really good weather in the Midwest on 12/20. All it'll take is 1 delay and I'm in trouble.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the ship!

...I would imagine that there are lots of taxis available. My DBIL will be in SJ for business that week and is making arrangements for someone from his client to pick the rest of us up at the airport and take us to the pier...

We've never had a problem getting taxis in San Juan, they aren't terribly expensive and there are lots of larger van sized taxis for carrying several people with lots of luggage. They have a good system in place both at airport and at the pier with a dispatcher who will mark the set rate and destination on a form and give one copy to you and one to the driver. Eliminates chances of language problems or a misunderstanding on the taxi fare. Taxi fare are here http://www.cabspr.com/ I think the fare is $15 for up to 5 people plus $1 per piece of luggage. So for 4 people with 8 bags you're looking at about $23 plus tip.

Also lots of good info for cruisers on San Juan at this site: http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

We've never had a problem getting taxis in San Juan, they aren't terribly expensive and there are lots of larger van sized taxis for carrying several people with lots of luggage. They have a good system in place both at airport and at the pier with a dispatcher who will mark the set rate and destination on a form and give one copy to you and one to the driver. Eliminates chances of language problems or a misunderstanding on the taxi fare. Taxi fare are here http://www.cabspr.com/ I think the fare is $15 for up to 5 people plus $1 per piece of luggage. So for 4 people with 8 bags you're looking at about $23 plus tip.

Also lots of good info for cruisers on San Juan at this site: http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Thanks Lsimon, you are a gem. All we can do is hope for good weather, no delays, and a quick trip from the airport to the cruise terminal.

Regarding taxi's in SJU, just be sure to get a "Turisto" taxi...they are clearly marked, and mostly that's what you will find at the airport. Could be up to a half an hour over to the cruise terminal, depending on the condition of highway 26 going into Old San Juan, but nevertheless, plenty of time.

Hey sis....I was thinking of taking you guys up to the Parrot Club for dinner in San Juan, then back to the ship before say 9:00pm. Its only a 2 block walk from the ship) I love the Parrot Club, and eat there so much that I know the owner, so I can make some arrangements to get us in no problems after I get you guys from the airport. what do you think? http://www.oofrestaurants.com/

We could always grab lunch there after we get back, before the airport as well, or I could set up a private tour at Bacardi before the airport (only problem with that is getting sidetracked with work)...think about it.

Roger

Archived