Poll: Likely to book in advance or not?

MAXII

How likely are you to book cruises in advance?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are you to book cruises in advance?

• Definitely Not - I prefer $ savings over cabin/itinerary choice
    • Somewhat likely
    • Definitely - I like to choose specific itineraries/Cabins
    • Not sure at the moment

I booked in February for my Christmas cruise, and the price is $2,100 more than I paid. I just logged on to double check.

Also, the air has gone up considerably.

It really depends. I want to do a Princess transatlantic in the Fall instead of the summer trip I booked. However, I am still doing a wait and see. I just can't imagine they will raise prices the way the economy is right now, so I am hoping there might be a drop in prices. We shall see......

Regardless of the cruiseline, I will probably still book ahead if it is a peak travel period.

what makes you an "AFT CABIN SNOB". We've booked our first aft cabin 2/22/9 on the Solstice and hope it lives up to it's reputation!

On the M class ships the aft cabins have an exceptionally large balcony, which is very nice for lounging, (this past March we had 4 recliners out there in addition to the table and 2 chairs, and still had room to host a small party) but also for hosting small sail away parties. (You coiuld probably accomodate 15 people quite comfortably) If possible, we select the deck just below the aft bar, and at sail away you have the music to accompany your private party.

However, no one knows what the physical benefits of the aft balconies will be on the Solstice class, and whether the balconies will be over size.

Regardless the view off the stern is very nice, and it is extremely peacefull to enjoy a cocktail while getting ready for the evening's activities or enjoying a nightcap before retiring. Also, there is very little wind activity across the aft, something that I find annoying on the side balconies.

There are a couple of downsides; paper waste often blows down from the top deck, and if you are on the port side you may get some cigar ash blowing down in the evening.

We will continue to book in advance due to the inability to plan vacation time on short notice. Also, we value the ability to choose what we want, i.e. cabin, location, intinerary, etc. While no one wants to pay more than necessary, we are willing to pay a premium to get what we want; however, that is more realisitically pay a far price for what we want 12 - 15 months in the future. The short sighted approach to delay booking until the last possible opportunity could lead to a potential decline in service levels on future cruises. It could alos lead to reduced options as cruise lines adjust their capacity to the more profitable intineraries. There has been significant "gripping" about the deterioration of the product delivered, this is possibly more reflective of the adage, you get what you pay for. As the consumer forces the price down, the supplier adjusts product quality to compensate. If you believe the price to product ratio is too high, look elsewhere for a product that matches your price point. A comparable analogy is the auto industry. When the new modle year is introduced, there are very few price incnetives; however, you get to choose, colour, options, whatever. As we move closer to the end of the model year, the price moves down, yet your choices are also reduced. As time moves forward, if fewer people purchase new cars, less will be produced, and you will not get the end of year bargains. The same holds true for the cruise industry, if they can't fill the ship will regular fares, they will fill it any way they can., There may be an initial hit to the profit margin, however, once the cost accountants get their hands on it, they will squeeze the margins back into line by cuting the little things, that in most cases are what makes =X= appealing to everyone, for example, cold towels and cold drinks when returnign to the ship. If the Buick is to expensive, maybe the Chevy is your better choice.

Good evening,

Thanks for your opinion..VERY well said and makes great logical sense.:)

It always pay to look at the greater picture.

Cheers;)

We have jobs to consider and its not always easy to book last minute for that reason. I'm also fussy about my cabin category and location and find that booking early allows me to get what I want. When Celebrity announced their new Baltimore sailings a few weeks ago I booked immediately and my first few cabin choices were already taken. While it's always nice to get a bargain--if I can't afford to go at the price I originally book--then I wouldn't go.

I have always booked our cruises well in advance and will continue to do so in order to get my choice of cabin location but I have always checked weekly for price drops. I booked our Solstice cruise 17 months out in anticipation that the cruise and airfare would increase due to fuel costs. I have continuously checked the pricing and have saved over $1000 total for cruise and air for two so far by doing so. My last cruise with RCCL was booked almost a year in advance and increased over $800 in just the cruise rate.

Next April we want to cruise to Amsterdam on Century. One ship, one itinerary, one cruise. We also want a midships cabin. Price is OK so why not book?

I only need pay half the deposit and I'm getting a $200 OBC. It's a bummer I can't use my Celebrity Passages and combine it but it's an OK deal if I don't.

Celebrity Air appears to be giving me a good deal as well. My TA will watch for price drops but I'm happy with the current arrangements.

As well we'll visit some friends in Holland so let's go for it.

I might be an example of what is happening:

I was intrigued by an NZ/Australian cruise, and it got to a price where it really was too good to be true... so just booked the cheapest air I have gotten to Australia in years, and with the weakening AUD think it's a good time to go. I booked a guarantee in a good category and am awaiting my cabin assignment.

Now to help "pay" for the trip, I checked into the New Year's cruise on the Summit which I booked a while ago, got it "downgraded" to a guarantee I was happy with, and am getting a refund to help pay my the new trip.

In the end, Celebrity got more of my money (both from cruise fares and that I will be on thiir ships for 19 days instead of 7, which will be good for them) and I got two great trips I couldn't have dreamed about earlier this year. Everyone is happy!

Question: since the Australian cruise is in less then two weeks, when do you think I will get documents (or edocs) and a cabin assignment? I am leaving in just over a week, and it would be good to have things in order.

I guess some of the cruises have big discounts near the cruise dates recently, probably due to current economy, but I haven't seen it much. Depends on itinerary maybe. We always make advanced reservations (last ones made over 16months ahead!), mainly because of job and cruising with friends require preplanning. Looked at the upcoming Jan 09 S American cruise and they added discounts for military which lowered the stateroom by $400pp but the airline costs went up over $600pp. We made these reservations because I always wanted this itinerary, but the cost + airline was restrictive - got a good airline cost from Celebrity. Don't see getting a good airline deal going into Buenos Aires and returning from Santiago on my own! We like insuring we get the cabin we want and we travel with friends which take preplanning, as stated before. May try a short-term for a Caribbean cruise sometime.

Archived