Poll: Likely to book in advance or not?

MAXII

How likely are you to book cruises in advance?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are you to book cruises in advance?

• Definitely Not - I prefer $ savings over cabin/itinerary choice
    • Somewhat likely
    • Definitely - I like to choose specific itineraries/Cabins
    • Not sure at the moment

Okay - so by now many of us have realised that given the recent downturn in the economy and the incredible fire sales to fill the ships nearer to sailing date, there appears to be little incentive to book in advance if price over cabin choice is key.

So how likely are you to book in advance for cruises 2009 and in the future?

Okay - so by now many of us have realised that given the recent downturn in the economy and the incredible fire sales to fill the ships nearer to sailing date, there appears to be little incentive to book in advance if price over cabin choice is key.

So how likely are you to book in advance for cruises 2009 and in the future?

We usually cruise at "low" times, December before Christmas, Sept/Oct, or when we see that prices are very low. We do not have the restrictions that parents of school-age children have, so we have the flexibility to choose. We are more interested in the cruise than we are the exact itinerary.

For Caribbean cruises we are going to wait until the last minute. We have no air to deal with.

We are waiting to book a Solstice cruise in Europe for May 2009. The price is quite high right not. We have FF miles to use so we are holding until the price drops. My sister, however, booked her cabin already as she wanted a balcony off the back of the ship. I don't care where we are on the ship.

We did, however, book an Azamara for Sept. 2009. There was $500 in SBC so that gave us the incentive. My husband monitors all of the sales, etc. to see which way the prices are going. So far, there has been no movement on the Solstice ship. I wish I could be like some people and just book it and forget about it! The more we save on one sailing, we can do another one with the money! My sister books it and does not look back until she must make the final payment and even then she doesn't ask if there has been a price change.

Curious to see how this survey goes....Happy sailing!!!

Celebrity is in the process of retraining me on how to get the most days at sea for the lowest cost input. The change from length of cruise to the $50-100 credit for "passages" bookings, the change in policy for OBC together with stock credit, and the massive reductions in price together with cabin upgrades for last minute bookings has shown me the errors of my past booking habits. It is not a steep learning curve but it has been painful.:cool:

Celebrity is in the process of retraining me on how to get the most days at sea for the lowest cost input. The change from length of cruise to the $50-100 credit for "passages" bookings, the change in policy for OBC together with stock credit, and the massive reductions in price together with cabin upgrades for last minute bookings has shown me the errors of my past booking habits. It is not a steep learning curve but it has been painful.:cool:

I agree, Celebrity has retrained me as well. Never again will I book in advance, my loyalty to them is gone. Their loyalty program has always considered to be poor and I guess we now know why. They just don't value repeat cruisers......

I didn't vote. My answer is that it will depend on the cruise.

I will probably book my next cruise well in advance since I find that if I wish to use my FF miles, I have to book months and months in advance. For our up-coming cruise in January, it took me a month of almost daily calls to get our flights to and from South America because even 9 months in advance, there were no FF seats available in my category.

The next cruise that we are booking will be a river cruise in 2010--and I am already watching the prices. I hope that by the time I start booking our 2011 vacation (destination unknown), that this last minute fire-sale mentality will have cooled down and that incentives to book well in advance will have returned.

I am taking a "wait and see" attitude. Too many ships, itineraries, etc. to choose from.

I cancelled all my future cruises with X, and will probably still book with X, as I do like the size of their M Class ships and their service on board. (even though they have slipped a little in the food dept)

However, friends are trying to get us to book a cruise with Crystal.

Hi C2C - I feel the exact same way.

I had a very nice surprise today. I checked the pricing for the inaugural Solstice and noticed a seniors discount was available. For our 1A balcony cabin we're getting a refund of $600 from Celebrity .:D

I am taking a "wait and see" attitude. Too many ships, itineraries, etc. to choose from.

I cancelled all my future cruises with X, and will probably still book with X, as I do like the size of their M Class ships and their service on board. (even though they have slipped a little in the food dept)

However, friends are trying to get us to book a cruise with Crystal.

Grace, did you cancel the Equinox TA? We did.

Jo-Ann

We've been doing a combination of future bookings and last minute bookings ever since I retired. Given current conditions I'll be using more patience before booking to take advantage of price reductions. We've booked two last minute deals which we'll sail before the end of the year. We typically take a spring cruise in the Caribbean which I was almost ready to book but have decided to wait a few months to see where the prices go.

I had a very nice surprise today. I checked the pricing for the inaugural Solstice and noticed a seniors discount was available. For our 1A balcony cabin we're getting a refund of $600 from Celebrity .:D

I bet they did that just for you!;)

Do you have to ask for the senior's discount? I have a final payment to make and I'd like the benefit of any discount available.

Do you have to ask for the senior's discount? I have a final payment to make and I'd like the benefit of any discount available.

Many agencies do not check regularly for price drops or discounts. Some people have TA's that give them that service automatically. Celebrity will post the price and it's up to the passenger to get the new price applied.

I check the prices online every week to see if there is a lower price for my category.

.....So how likely are you to book in advance for cruises 2009 and in the future?

We pick by itinerary... where we want to go.... then look for price.

I also see no advantage to waiting to squeeze the last couple of hundred dollars out of the cruise fare and then pay five hundred more for the airfare. :confused: :rolleyes: Its a package deal / total cost we consider.

If we just wanted to wander down to our local pier and sail to where the ship is going.... then fine.. I'd wait to get a deal.

Many agencies do not check regularly for price drops or discounts. Some people have TA's that give them that service automatically. Celebrity will post the price and it's up to the passenger to get the new price applied.

I check the prices online every week to see if there is a lower price for my category.

Thanks...I booked with Celebrity directly (RCCL) so I sent a note to the TA assigned with these questions. I also check the site regularly...no difference in price if I check the 'senior' box. Perhaps the Solstice is so popular it doesn't require a price drop to fill it up!

We will continue to book in advance due to the inability to plan vacation time on short notice. Also, we value the ability to choose what we want, i.e. cabin, location, intinerary, etc. While no one wants to pay more than necessary, we are willing to pay a premium to get what we want; however, that is more realisitically pay a far price for what we want 12 - 15 months in the future. The short sighted approach to delay booking until the last possible opportunity could lead to a potential decline in service levels on future cruises. It could alos lead to reduced options as cruise lines adjust their capacity to the more profitable intineraries. There has been significant "gripping" about the deterioration of the product delivered, this is possibly more reflective of the adage, you get what you pay for. As the consumer forces the price down, the supplier adjusts product quality to compensate. If you believe the price to product ratio is too high, look elsewhere for a product that matches your price point. A comparable analogy is the auto industry. When the new modle year is introduced, there are very few price incnetives; however, you get to choose, colour, options, whatever. As we move closer to the end of the model year, the price moves down, yet your choices are also reduced. As time moves forward, if fewer people purchase new cars, less will be produced, and you will not get the end of year bargains. The same holds true for the cruise industry, if they can't fill the ship will regular fares, they will fill it any way they can., There may be an initial hit to the profit margin, however, once the cost accountants get their hands on it, they will squeeze the margins back into line by cuting the little things, that in most cases are what makes =X= appealing to everyone, for example, cold towels and cold drinks when returnign to the ship. If the Buick is to expensive, maybe the Chevy is your better choice.

We will continue to book in advance due to the inability to plan vacation time on short notice. Also, we value the ability to choose what we want, i.e. cabin, location, intinerary, etc. While no one wants to pay more than necessary, we are willing to pay a premium to get what we want; however, that is more realisitically pay a far price for what we want 12 - 15 months in the future. The short sighted approach to delay booking until the last possible opportunity could lead to a potential decline in service levels on future cruises. It could alos lead to reduced options as cruise lines adjust their capacity to the more profitable intineraries. There has been significant "gripping" about the deterioration of the product delivered, this is possibly more reflective of the adage, you get what you pay for. As the consumer forces the price down, the supplier adjusts product quality to compensate. If you believe the price to product ratio is too high, look elsewhere for a product that matches your price point. A comparable analogy is the auto industry. When the new modle year is introduced, there are very few price incnetives; however, you get to choose, colour, options, whatever. As we move closer to the end of the model year, the price moves down, yet your choices are also reduced. As time moves forward, if fewer people purchase new cars, less will be produced, and you will not get the end of year bargains. The same holds true for the cruise industry, if they can't fill the ship will regular fares, they will fill it any way they can., There may be an initial hit to the profit margin, however, once the cost accountants get their hands on it, they will squeeze the margins back into line by cuting the little things, that in most cases are what makes =X= appealing to everyone, for example, cold towels and cold drinks when returnign to the ship. If the Buick is to expensive, maybe the Chevy is your better choice.

what makes you an "AFT CABIN SNOB". We've booked our first aft cabin 2/22/9 on the Solstice and hope it lives up to it's reputation!

Archived