New Notebook and Wireless

Cruzer Nut

Hi All,

Have searched and searched but seem to have lost a thread that told me how to Exactly log onto the Wireless Connection on the Pacific Dawn.

New Notebook has Wireless Built in and have read that you have to be in the Atrium or Library etc.

I Emailed our "Famous" Kylie at P&O and was sent back an email that really had nothing to do with the Question I asked but told me that I had to Order and Pay for a Card to access the Wireless onboard before I sailed :rolleyes: .

Can someone tell this Dumb Blond :o how to get it to work please.

I haven’t been on the Pacific Dawn, so I don’t know if accessing the Wireless is different to accessing it on the Pacific Sun, I would guess its the same.

All you need to do is when you want to use the internet on your laptop, is go to one of the ship computers & somewhere on the screen it should say something about Wireless, click on it & do what it says to do, you will have to swipe your cruse card (Make sure you have a pen & a bit of paper ready),

Then you should get a access code & a access password (make SURE you write them down very quickly! & correctly), then you should be able to use your laptop, to connect to there wifi hotspot.

Hope this is of some help :)

There are very clear instruction sheets in the Internet Cafe. Grab one and follow the instructions. If you need help there is a number to call for support.

BTW on the Dawn you no longer swipe your card. You set up an account that you log onto each time you use the internet. You can purchase a plan (I did 100 minutes for $55) or pay per minute (at a rate of 75 cents per minute). You also pay an account set up fee which I think was $3.95. I found it much easier.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

There are very clear instruction sheets in the Internet Cafe. Grab one and follow the instructions. If you need help there is a number to call for support.

BTW on the Dawn you no longer swipe your card. You set up an account that you log onto each time you use the internet. You can purchase a plan (I did 100 minutes for $55) or pay per minute (at a rate of 75 cents per minute). You also pay an account set up fee which I think was $3.95. I found it much easier.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Easier, yes... but also more expensive... But then again I guess that was also because of the length of our cruise - and because the closer we got to Tonga the worse the satellite reception was and the slower the service was.... and the more expensive it became.

Thanks for the reply's .

Chaz - do you remember that the number that you mention for help is it one that is answered from on board the ship or does it go to an onshore help desk at all??

Am not that tech savvy if it works when I plug the coloured cords into the coloured holes am happy. Took me 2 years to figure out how to get Foxtel through my video so that I could get the free Sydney stations. :o :o

Nor quite sure about packages etc but thanks for letting me know the costs are the same if I use theirs or mine.

Really only bought the net book for loading of images from camera (got the net book at a Bargain Bargain price of $400.00 brand new! and it seemed silly to pass it up) and catching up on posts here on CC of course.

Thanks for the reply's .

Chaz - do you remember that the number that you mention for help is it one that is answered from on board the ship or does it go to an onshore help desk at all??

Am not that tech savvy if it works when I plug the coloured cords into the coloured holes am happy. Took me 2 years to figure out how to get Foxtel through my video so that I could get the free Sydney stations. :o :o

Nor quite sure about packages etc but thanks for letting me know the costs are the same if I use theirs or mine.

Really only bought the net book for loading of images from camera (got the net book at a Bargain Bargain price of $400.00 brand new! and it seemed silly to pass it up) and catching up on posts here on CC of course.

The phone is to the pursers office.

With the onboard wireless signal being password protected, you may need to search for their network, by right clicking on the network icon. That is the only technical part. It is important that you log off when you are done, or you will continue to clock up 55c min when you are not using it.

Great for keeping in touch and uploading images from cameras. You can also preload some mp3's for some cabin music or take CD's/DVD's for play.

Thanks for that, had visions of calling number and getting transferred to some voice on the other side of the world. :rolleyes:

New Notebook doesn't have cd/dvd in it (only weighs 1kg) so will have to investigate downloading some vidoes/movies directly onto it if we want to watch somthing I suppose but will definately be putting music on it to listen to in cabin.

Thanks for the reminder me to log off when finished otherwise it could be a very very nasty surprise.

After reading everything I could find on Wireless it's funny that P&O seem to change their minds on how to access it (ie buy Card to insert before you leave, swipe card at terminal and quickly write down details to follow instructions on paper left near terminals etc)

Archived