Open Letter to CEO Holland America Lines

JimVrhovac

Jim, what a wonderful letter. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that employees of Holland America Lines would act in any other way; we've always been impressed by their level of customer service.

I do have one question for you . . . can I hold your camera case? :D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

A lot of you have commented about the amount of cash that we carry with us. Those of you that have spent time with Ruth and I know of Ruth's shopping habits and her passion for jewlery.

Our mission now is good financial planning. By that I am trying to insure that the check to the mortician bounces. We have worked hard to get where we are and we are in a comfort zone now.

Just because something is not right for you does not mean that it is not right for us.

I carry cash, credit cards, 2 check books, and bank transfer information and had the opportunity to use every one of these over the years when shopping with Ruth.

When she shops I only say two things: "HOW MUCH??" and "YES DEAR"...

It works for us and it is right for us.

Ruth & Jim

First off, I like your style Ruth and Jim, you are my kind of people, I'm with you all the way, the last check I write I also want to bounce for my funeral.

And you are a very wise man Jim, the "yes dear" always works for me. It is wonderful that you two are in this kind of position in your life, which I'm sure has been well planned out.

Secondly, but most important it certainly is refreshing to hear someone actually wrote a letter to Hal compliment them. In a day and age where it has beome so easy to criticize, its nice to see someone actually writes a letter of praise. Well, done Jim and Ruth.

Jim---I looked for you and Ruth when I was invited aboard the Eurodam in Saint John for a luncheon and tour. I checked everyone I saw for slippers but you must have been ashore.:D

Please take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended, and that is one of concern.

Over time you have posted so much personal identifying information on this board that a person could book one of your listed cruises and easily single you out. Now you have put everyone on notice that you always carry large amounts of cash and buy lots of bling on cruises. You posted your cabin number on your roll call. Not everyone who reads these boards is going to be an honest, law abiding person. I truly fear that you have made yourselves targets of thieves or worse. That camera case in Ruth's walker now puts her in danger while in a port. The person looking for you doesn't necessarily have to be aboard the ship. Please rethink the amount of information you post on CC. I would hate to read that you have been victimized, as, I am sure, most everyone else on this board would be.

Jim---I looked for you and Ruth when I was invited aboard the Eurodam in Saint John for a luncheon and tour. I checked everyone I saw for slippers but you must have been ashore.:D

Please take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended, and that is one of concern.

Over time you have posted so much personal identifying information on this board that a person could book one of your listed cruises and easily single you out. Now you have put everyone on notice that you always carry large amounts of cash and buy lots of bling on cruises. You posted your cabin number on your roll call. Not everyone who reads these boards is going to be an honest, law abiding person. I truly fear that you have made yourselves targets of thieves or worse. That camera case in Ruth's walker now puts her in danger while in a port. The person looking for you doesn't necessarily have to be aboard the ship. Please rethink the amount of information you post on CC. I would hate to read that you have been victimized, as, I am sure, most everyone else on this board would be.

I agree with everything you have said here!!

Our mission now is good financial planning. By that I am trying to insure that the check to the mortician bounces.

When she shops I only say two things: "HOW MUCH??" and "YES DEAR"...

When we help someone out we never take gratuities we just tell them that all they owe us is for them to do the same for another stranger....

Have a great night

Ruth & Jim

Our mortician and his wife are very good friends, I will probably leave him a keg of beer in my will.:cool:

Ruth is very fortunate to have married you and not me, who Could not afford her, or a couple of my friends who who Would not.:eek:

Do the same for someone else. I own a boat and that is standard with us, it pays off too, I have needed help and was glad to be treated the same.:)

I am distressed that anyone would carry that much cash with them -- thousands of dollars.

I sure wouldn't post it anywhere that we carried that much cash -- thankfully we don't.

Not only that, but they leave it sitting some place for anyone to get. Then later they forgot two bags. How on earth did these people find their way back home! Good thing their heads were screwed on or they might have forgotten them too! Sorry to be harsh, but I just don't get some people these days.

We flew from SFO to Vancouver for a HAL cruise. When we arrived in Vancouver I realized I didn't have my jacket. I had left it in the boarding area in SF. It had sentimental value as my family had bought it for me on my birthday on a previous Alaska cruise. The HAL rep in Vancouver said they would look into it for me and let us know the outcome.

We continued to the Fairmont for our overnight stay. We went out sightseeing and upon our return there was a message to call the bell captain. Yes, he was in possession of my jacket. HAL contacted the airlines, they put it on the next flight to Vancouver and like magic it was at our hotel!

Thank you HAL and all involved!

We flew from SFO to Vancouver for a HAL cruise. When we arrived in Vancouver I realized I didn't have my jacket. I had left it in the boarding area in SF. It had sentimental value as my family had bought it for me on my birthday on a previous Alaska cruise. The HAL rep in Vancouver said they would look into it for me and let us know the outcome.

We continued to the Fairmont for our overnight stay. We went out sightseeing and upon our return there was a message to call the bell captain. Yes, he was in possession of my jacket. HAL contacted the airlines, they put it on the next flight to Vancouver and like magic it was at our hotel!

Thank you HAL and all involved!

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

What a wonderful letter. Good on you. I know that employees are given both positive and negative comments, so I am sure the employees involved will be happy and grateful that you took your time to write the letter.

Not everyone who reads these boards is going to be an honest, law abiding person. I truly fear that you have made yourselves targets of thieves or worse. That camera case in Ruth's walker now puts her in danger while in a port. The person looking for you doesn't necessarily have to be aboard the ship. Please rethink the amount of information you post on CC. I would hate to read that you have been victimized, as, I am sure, most everyone else on this board would be.

Hear, hear. Additionally, if thieves read this thread (now or in the future) and decide that any woman using a walker might be Ruth or someone else stashing a bonanza, Ruth isn't the only one who will have been put in danger.

It was a nice letter, Jim, but I too encourage you to be more circumspect in choosing what details to publish in a public forum. Pretty please, for others' sake as well as your own.

Caro

It was a nice letter, Jim, but I too encourage you to be more circumspect in choosing what details to publish in a public forum. Pretty please, for others' sake as well as your own.

Caro

I agree!

And if he's going to be carrying so much money with him, he'd better learn Tae Kwon Do!:eek:

[quote name='UtterCaro']Hear, hear. Additionally, if thieves read this thread (now or in the future) and decide that any woman using a walker might be Ruth or someone else stashing a bonanza, Ruth isn't the only one who will have been put in danger.

Caro[/QUOTE]

I agree - the fact that you also post your photo albums publicly makes it that much easier for someone to put two and two together and come up with no good!

I think it's great you contacted HAL to commend their staff. I agree, far too often it's easy to forget to mention the good - especially when so many harp on the "bad" I just wouldn't have so blatantly advertised that you carry that much cash - I don't have an issue with you carrying the cash. People laugh at me for not carrying cash so obviously we all have our own habits. I know we like to think all people are good at heart and certainly on cruises there's a level of comfort but the fact of the matter is bad eggs can be found anywhere - even on HAL

Caution is always good but now that this amount may be needed to fill our gas tanks soon I think we'll all be carrying that. Honestly if someone can afford the cruise, they have their own stash and if they wish to cruise only to get to your stash then they will end up out of pocket.

Everyone is different and I didn't blink at the amount because it is not that unusual for some to prefer this and others prefer that. If he has wisely prepared for Ruth's shopping trips, they both deserves an award, him for being so wise, and Ruth for perfect DH training (Ruth please write a book.) All in all no big. One person's dollar is another person's penny. ;-)

Glad to see HAL getting credit. Great letter to them.

[quote name='norcal2']Everyone is different and I didn't blink at the amount because it is not that unusual for some to prefer this and others prefer that. If he has wisely prepared for Ruth's shopping trips, they both deserves an award, him for being so wise, and Ruth for perfect DH training (Ruth please write a book.) All in all no big. One person's dollar is another person's penny. ;-)[/quote]

Your post reminded me of my dear departed mother ("Dottie") and her wonderful boyfriend ("Steve") of 25+ years. Dottie was a very frugal woman (out of necessity) who raised my sister and me by herself (our father was deceased.) Steve came into her life when I was in my early teens and he was a very wealthy man. Dottie was amazed at the way he freely spent money but she loved the wonderful jewelry, gifts and fabulous first class trips he bought for her. She was finally living in the lap of luxury!

However, Dottie was appalled at Steve's nonchalant attitude about "wasting" or "losing" large sums of money.... she simply could not relate to it. I'll never forget him trying to explain it to her once by saying "you'll never understand big money." So, to echo your point, I believe that Steve's penny was Dottie's dollar. :)

I'm not necessarily supporting or disapproving how anyone chooses to spend or carry their money. Each person has their own comfort zone regarding this and it's a very personal thing. Let's all remember the old saying that "you can't really judge a person until you walk in their shoes."

Diane

[quote name='DizzyDallasDi']Your post reminded me of my dear departed mother ("Dottie") and her wonderful boyfriend ("Steve") of 25+ years. Dottie was a very frugal woman (out of necessity) who raised my sister and me by herself (our father was deceased.) Steve came into her life when I was in my early teens and he was a very wealthy man. Dottie was amazed at the way he freely spent money but she loved the wonderful jewelry, gifts and fabulous first class trips he bought for her. She was finally living in the lap of luxury!

However, Dottie was appalled at Steve's nonchalant attitude about "wasting" or "losing" large sums of money.... she simply could not relate to it. I'll never forget him trying to explain it to her once by saying "you'll never understand big money." So, to echo your point, I believe that Steve's penny was Dottie's dollar. :)

I'm not necessarily supporting or disapproving how anyone chooses to spend or carry their money. Each person has their own comfort zone regarding this and it's a very personal thing. Let's all remember the old saying that "you can't really judge a person until you walk in their shoes."

Diane[/quote]

What a wonderful story about Dottie and Steve. In every way. In a world where you don't see it often, it is great when you do know "that unique couple". Thank you for sharing this.

[quote name='norcal2']What an wonderful story about Dottie and Steve. In every way. In a world where you don't see it often, it is great when you do know "that unique couple". Thank you for sharing this.[/quote]

Thank you for your kind acknowlegement! They were indeed a class act couple and I'm tearing up just remembering all the fabulous times they had traveling, laughing and loving together. Life is meant to be enjoyed... let's never lose sight of this!

Diane

[B]News Flash: "Some cruise ship passengers carry large amounts of cash onboard!"[/B] Film at eleven.

DW and I were dining with Jim and Ruth in Tamarind when the bag was lost and found. The staff had obviously discovered the $$ while looking for ownership markings. The way they handled it was perfect. Kudos to them, and Jim for saying so.
Cheers
Mark

Archived