Fort Lauderdale Question

gettingmarried

We are booked to leave from Ft Lauderdale airport the day our cruise returns but it is a late flight at 6:00 pm. Can anyone suggest what to do for the day and where could you put your luggage for the day if you are out and about doing something?

We have the exact same problem. We have a van rented from Thrifty for the day. I understand they have a rental car shuttle that is shared by all the agencies at the rental car center at FLL. We will take the shuttle to the rental car center hopefully. We rented a van since there are four of us and all our luggage. We will at least have wheels to drive around awhile. Might take a driving tour of Miami.

Personally, I would take the shuttle over to the rental car center at the airport and grab a car for the day. That way you have somewhere to keep your luggage and a way to get around. There is a ton of stuff to see and do in the area. Don't know what you are interested in, but me I like watching cruise ships. I would head down to Miami and check out the ships at Dodge Island then stop at Bayside Marketplace to grab lunch and wander around the waterfront. Another thing that is fun is to head out to Flamingo Gardens in the morning and then stop at Sawgrass Mill to grab lunch and kill off the afternoon. Oh, the Miami Metro Zoo is also really good if you are interested in zoos or have kids with you.

Or you could also just take one of the cruise line tours that drops you at the airport in the afternoon. Most lines offer a intercoastal waterway tour and some sort of Everglades/ jet boat excursion.

We had a similar situation in Feb. after our Crown cruise. We decided to take a taxi to the airport and drop our luggage there. If you go to the website for the airport you will find the info. It was more that $3/bag--maybe even as much as $5-10. Then we took a taxi to Las Olas Blvd. and explored. There are many unique shops and galleries if you're into that sort of thing. You can also get the water taxi from there.

We looked at getting a beach hotel for the day and found it was the same price as renting a room and the beach hotels are $250+. And renting a car in an unfamiliar city seemed not that relaxing either. The ships tours aren't a bad idea but they still get you to the airport rather early and you then have to sit.

Hope you find something to do and have a wonderful cruise.

We have rented a car from Budget from the Quay location outside the port. When checking prices for our upcoming cruise we found the prices to be cheaper at the Quay location vs the airport. By the time you pay to store luggage, pay for cabs, etc. you could rent a car so we choose to rent and do our own day plan until flight time.

The Quay location has a free shuttle that will pick you up.

Fort Lauderdale has a gem of an art museum. They have lovely exhibits, so if you want to kill time, that is a nice place to do it. You can also walk along the boardwalk, or go to the beach. Las Olas is lots of fun with nice shops and good restaurants. Another nice thing to do is to take the Carrie !! which is a boat that cruises the canals of Fort Lauderdale. You get to see how the rich and famous live. You get that at Riverwalk. All of these places are quite close together - no need to drive all the way to Miami to have fun things to do.

We had a mid afternoon flight out of Miami on our recent Crown Cruise- We used the EZ Check for our luggage ( I recommend it! ) aand took a tour of the Everglades- was kind of cool! If my flight was as late as yours I would use the EZ Check agin go to Los Olas for shopping & lunch.

We are booked to leave from Ft Lauderdale airport the day our cruise returns but it is a late flight at 6:00 pm. Can anyone suggest what to do for the day and where could you put your luggage for the day if you are out and about doing something?

I would take a ship excursion in Ft. L. They take you and your luggage to the airport after the cruise. We went to an air boat ride/ Flamingo Gardens tour that we enjoyed very much. A lot nicer than hanging around an airport.

Storing the bags at the secure area near the Port is the first step. You can take the water taxi around the Intracostal and the city waterways and get a great tour of some of the famous homes on the waterway. You are free to get off and on at the various stops and do some shopping if time permits.

A couple more suggestions of things to do in Fort Lauderdale. If you're renting a car then Hollywood Beach (about ten miles south) is a gem - beautiful beach, several miles of paved boardwalk with shops and cafes, and IMO has a more cosmopolitan feel than FLL

For shopping in Fort Lauderdale, the Galleria mall on Sunrise, just west of the Intercoastal. Sun Trolley www.suntrolley.com is a great way to get around - $3.25 per person for a day pass.

If it rains then I'd suggest a visit to the IMAX theater at the Museum of Science & Discovery, 401 SW 2nd Street. Showtimes on Sunday begin at noon. http://www.mods.org/IMAX/index.html

Paul

Several years ago, (2005), my wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper, and when we returned, we went back to the same hotel to spend the day at the beach. Because we had been a guest at the hotel pre-cruise, they stored our baggage for about 4-5 hours while we lazed around on the beach, then we took a taxi to the airport. But that was 3 1/2 years ago, times have changed!! The airboat ride and Flamingo Gardens tour is a nice way to spend a day in FLL.:)

If your airline has earlier flights to your destination consider standing by for an earlier flight. Last year we had a later flight on AA. Got to the airport around 10:30,went to the kiosk and listed as standby for earlier flights. No extra charge. You may get home earlier.

If your airline has earlier flights to your destination consider standing by for an earlier flight. Last year we had a later flight on AA. Got to the airport around 10:30,went to the kiosk and listed as standby for earlier flights. No extra charge. You may get home earlier.

I should add that while we didnt get on the first standyby flight,our luggage went on that flight because when we arrived in Chicago on the next flight,our luggage was already waiting for us.

Archived