cancel our ROS cruise or not?

dianemh

we've booked a cruise ROS Jan 13th. 14 nights (ov cabin). we used an American TA and have paid a US$1350 deposit for 3 people. leaving us a balance of US$3184 to pay in a week or so.

Because of the exchange rates i'm thinking of cancelling and rebooking, with a local TA, but because we're not yet past final payment, it looks to be more expensive booking here so far.

I'm thinking there may be cancellations and cheaper prices here. when it gets nearer to the date. The thing I may be wrong and the cruise may end up cosing up more, we've already booked flights, what to do, what to do.

Hi Diane..be careful to check that you won't lose your deposit first before making your decision....then i would search high and low for the best prices in AUD possible.... armed with all that info plus your existing prices your decision should be made easier for you...............good luck.............cheers shiona

Reading these posts on different threads re cancellations, I must say I feel sorry for those who have booked with US T/A's in USD. Always going to be risky booking in foreign currency even though booking cruises with the US T/A's is generally a better deal, but now look at the mess people are in. My advice would be to bat on with the cruise, sounds like you got a very good deal in the first place, probably gone back up to catalogue price.

:(

Reading these posts on different threads re cancellations, I must say I feel sorry for those who have booked with US T/A's in USD. Always going to be risky booking in foreign currency even though booking cruises with the US T/A's is generally a better deal, but now look at the mess people are in. :(

Yes, always a risk. Usually worth it I think - not often the AUD is gonna drop over 30% in 3 or 4 months! :eek: When you start out with a 25% saving over Oz TA rates, takes these exceptional circumstances to screw that up.

I really feel for you...but check the cancellation policy.

I just picked up 12 nights to NZ in oceanview on Diamond Princess for $899!

They may be all gone but worth checking and also to see what else might be on offer...only downside is we get back Christmas Eve but that is one way to avoid the pre Xmas rush!

we've booked a cruise ROS Jan 13th. 14 nights (ov cabin). we used an American TA and have paid a US$1350 deposit for 3 people. leaving us a balance of US$3184 to pay in a week or so.

Because of the exchange rates i'm thinking of cancelling and rebooking, with a local TA, but because we're not yet past final payment, it looks to be more expensive booking here so far.

I'm thinking there may be cancellations and cheaper prices here. when it gets nearer to the date. The thing I may be wrong and the cruise may end up cosing up more, we've already booked flights, what to do, what to do.

Hi Diane,

It's a real dilemma, isn't it? Logic tells you there will be lots of US and Oz passenger cancellations, with their recession and our limp dollar, and hence some good last-minute fares. But do you want to take the risk? :confused:

The '90 day ticker' on *****.com is out to late January, and they don't mention your Rhapsody cruise. Read into that whatever you like. Maybe other passengers are like you - this close to the cruise they have already booked their airfare, too late to back out?

(I think it's OK to mention that TA? I found them in a CC article, so I guess it is OK.)

Pity you have already booked the air - there are lots of NZ cruises in Jan / Feb, bound to be some great specials. Princess are advertising in today's Sydney newspaper/s, they have a 13 night Syd - NZ - Syd cruise on Jan 19, and you don't go via Melbourne / Tassie.

Am I missing the point here?

Rhapsody cruises are sold via Aussie T/A's in $US too. We had a rush to pay our final balance to our local T/A for our January Rhapsody cruise before the Aussie dollar went into freefall.

Maybe a special will come up, but can't your existing T/A move your booking to that special if one comes up?

so if i pay in full and then the price reduces, i am still entitled to the discounts even if i havent booked with RCI direct, is that what you're saying?

I have read discussions about on the ball T/A's ringing up to ask is you wanted to shift your booking to a better deal. I don't think this happens after final payment, and don't know if it will apply on these Rhapsody cruises - maybe someone else has experience with this.

I have not seen any last minute specials going on Rhapsody so far, except for some great prices on suites for over 55's. Still, the dollar slide happened after final payment for the first few cruises. Might pay to keep an eye out for late specials on the next few cruises, to see if it is likely they will come up for yours too. I would find it very hard to cancel after paying my airfares.

so if i pay in full and then the price reduces, i am still entitled to the discounts even if i havent booked with RCI direct, is that what you're saying?

There is no written rule that the ta have to shift the price be it after final payment or before......best you ask your ta what their policy is...shiona

Am I missing the point here?

Rhapsody cruises are sold via Aussie T/A's in $US too. We had a rush to pay our final balance to our local T/A for our January Rhapsody cruise before the Aussie dollar went into freefall.

Maybe a special will come up, but can't your existing T/A move your booking to that special if one comes up?

I think I maybe missing something too. I am so confused over this. I got a quote for ROS for April 2010. It was with an Australian on line agency, quoted in AUD but "subject to change depending on exchange rate":confused: .

Hi, its all been said, However when you see this ship. All the pain of the Aus$ will be gone. Its a giant beautiful ship.

Ken

Archived