Books to bring on vacation......?

dlaf10

I will assume you are female - and apologize in advance if you are not...

I love the "Stephanie Plum" series by Janet Evanovich. It's a riot and easy reading! Warning: you should bring more than just one in the series or you will be sorry.

I brought Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) on my Italy trip last year...it was pretty good but long and too much for a Carib. trip! However, I also brought Water for Elephants (can't remember the author right now!) and that was really a good read...and easier!

Check them out!

When I sailed on the Freedom, I found the Red Tent in the ship's library. OH MY GOD... It's one of the best books I've ever read!!!! I couldn't put it down, and finished it before the end of the cruise. I think it's a book every woman should read.

Books of interest to cruisers chronicling the transition of passenger shipping from the point-to-point voyages of times past to today's cruises and cruise lines, I suggest you check out The Only Way to Cross, Crossing & Cruising and Liners to the Sun by Maritime Author John Maxtone-Graham.

John Maxtone-Graham was a guest lecturer on our Celebrity Constellation 2007 westbound TA. I now have an autographed copy of The Only Way to Cross. He is an excellent writer and speaker and filled the theater for each of his three presentations.:)

Me, too! Watching everyone at the pool seems much more entertaining! Just bring whatever you like to read at home! I like suspense novels and murder mysteries. But, whatever you like...no need to change reading habits just because you're on a ship!

I always wait for the first sea day and then there is a virtual library around the pool and you can sample each book until you find one that interests you. Lots of chairs even have a towel for you to use. Cruising is great with all of the amenities that they come up with:D

John Maxtone-Graham was a guest lecturer on our Celebrity Constellation 2007 westbound TA. I now have an autographed copy of The Only Way to Cross. He is an excellent writer and speaker and filled the theater for each of his three presentations.:)
Spot on negc. John and his wife Mary have been great friends of ours for over 10 years. We have cruised with them on the Celebrity Galaxy, QM2 and the former MS Caronia, now the Saga Ruby. When we are in NYC, we normally stay at his residence in Manhattan. Two years ago we traveled to Scotland together to visit his father's childhood home in Perthshire (Cultoquhey House) and to my grandfather's former residence in Dundee. A marvelous time was had by all. J M-G is a walking encyclopedia concerning everything maritime and Broadway.

The Alchemist (simple story with a lesson - quick easy read but very good) Will fit in your purse for the plane ride.

The Handmaid's Tale (written by a Canadian, Margaret Atwood, it's her futuristic story of a messed up US society from the view of one of the remaining furtile women - who are reserved for breeding)

I agree about the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich (but you'll get strange looks from people who will be looking at you as you're laughing into your book) They are numbered "One for the Money", "Two for the Dough", etc. etc. Very sexy and funny books. I wish I hadn't read all 14 because now I have to wait for the next one to come out.

and the ultimate non-literature junk food of reading is the "Twilight" series. They can be addictive.

Toddcan, I agree with your wife. The Twilight series is amazing. Very easy to read, and such a romantic story. I am taking my Twilight series to reread in the Caribbean this weekend... it will be the perfect setting.

However, I must demand that you listen to your wife better - She is probably calling you EDWARD, who is the hunk of the book. :D

If you enjoy historical fiction (English history to be exact) try anything by Phillipa Gregory. Perhaps her most well-known book is "The Other Boleyn Girl" which was made into a movie. I have read several others and loved them all.

Also, "Pillars of the Earth" and sequel "World Without End" by Ken Follet (these two books are a complete departure from his usual spy genre). One word of caution...they are both very long books (900 plus pages so maybe no the best for traveling, but well worth reading.) These books tell of the building of one of the cathedrals (Kingbridge) in England during medievil times. The story and all the characters are well-drawn as is the accurate description of life during those times.

I also enjoyed Pillars of the Earth... only problem with that book is: I got so into the book, I never talked to my boyfriend on the cruise. It was funny cause I saw three other people reading it by the pool :o) I had to stop and ask them where they were.

I read twilight. I liked it, but all the action is in the last chapter. Both books are great for cruising

RI cruiser..... If you liked "Pillars" then you have to read "World WithoutEnd". It takes place about 200 yrs. later and many of the characters are the descendants of Jack and Aliena. I enjoyed it just as much as the first one! Great read!

I've recently discovered Jen Lancaster. She has 3 books: "Bitter is the New Black", "Bright Lights, Big A**" and "Such a Pretty Fat". She's great!

I'm currently reading "The Monster of Florence". If you like true crime, you might enjoy it.

Toddcan, I agree with your wife. The Twilight series is amazing. Very easy to read, and such a romantic story. I am taking my Twilight series to reread in the Caribbean this weekend... it will be the perfect setting.

However, I must demand that you listen to your wife better - She is probably calling you EDWARD, who is the hunk of the book. :D

HAHAHA!! That's it.. EDWARD! :) Pretty obvious that I did not read the book, huh? ;)

How new is the latest by Janet Evanovich?? I read the entire series maybe a year or year and a half ago. Don't know if there has been a new one since. I don't remember what number I got up to, but thanks for the reminder, I will check it out on the next walmart trip.

Archived