Moving within a Cabin Cat. - GTY

We booked our cruise as an inside GTY, and were thrilled to be upgraded to a Promenade View (deck 6). Our friends also booked GTY (but balcony) and got a D1 (deck 8). I have read on these boards that once you have a cabin assignment you can move within the category, so I was thinking it might be worth trying to move our room to deck 8 (to be closet to our friends). I was wondering how easy this is, I don't want to be a bother with our (online) TA, because it isn't a huge deal, but if the process is pretty painless, I figure it is worth a shot. Any advice or caveats?

Also, if your reservations are linked, does that mean we will automatically be dining at the same table? Or should we email in that request too?

Thanks!

We booked our cruise as an inside GTY, and were thrilled to be upgraded to a Promenade View (deck 6). Our friends also booked GTY (but balcony) and got a D1 (deck 8). I have read on these boards that once you have a cabin assignment you can move within the category, so I was thinking it might be worth trying to move our room to deck 8 (to be closet to our friends). I was wondering how easy this is, I don't want to be a bother with our (online) TA, because it isn't a huge deal, but if the process is pretty painless, I figure it is worth a shot. Any advice or caveats?

Also, if your reservations are linked, does that mean we will automatically be dining at the same table? Or should we email in that request too?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you can not move within your category once it's been assigned from a guarantee. I know because I checked recently. You used to be able to. Having said, that who knows, it might happen so it doesn't hurt to check.

I always go to the dining room once we get on the ship to check out our dining table. They may give you a table for 4, but again they may put you at a larger table. I would make sure you have a request for table for 4 and then check once onboard.

Congrat's on your good upgrades....I got a D1 balcony on mine too!!

I too booked a gty cabin. Upon receiving assignment loved the cabin but wondered if I could move to a higher deck. I called RC and was told that once I received a cabin assignment that I could change cabins within that category. However, since I had booked through a TA, my TA had to call RC and request the change. All your TA has to do is call RC and make the request--was done in a matter of minutes. I have actually changed my cabin twice--keep checking different cabins become available. Good luck.

I too have moved within a category of a guarantee cabin. We booked a suite guarantee on the Radiance and got our JS assigned - I wasn't keen on the location so I called and was moved to JS 1100 = pretty sweet :)

It can be done - call RCI or your TA.

My fiance and I are sailing on VOS in January and booked a gty OV cabin, as did another couple going with us. We were hoping to get rooms close together by linking our reservations together online...Well, we got our room assignment a couple of weeks ago and they were really close together, but I noticed they had a room that was connected to another room...so I thought I would call and give it a shot! Much to my surprise, we were granted the move (within the same category)!! So, I would say you would definitely be allowed to move if there was another room available for you to move to!

Good luck!!

I too have moved within a category of a guarantee cabin. We booked a suite guarantee on the Radiance and got our JS assigned - I wasn't keen on the location so I called and was moved to JS 1100 = pretty sweet :)

Please let me know what happens when you call. My TA just recently called to change mine and spoke with supervisors etc. She was told they used to do it, but not anymore. If you've booked a CAT X guarantee they wont. Perhaps you didn't book that and you'll have some luck. Keep me posted, I would like to change two of my upcoming trips cabins!

Again, good luck!

Please let me know what happens when you call. My TA just recently called to change mine and spoke with supervisors etc. She was told they used to do it, but not anymore. If you've booked a CAT X guarantee they wont. Perhaps you didn't book that and you'll have some luck. Keep me posted, I would like to change two of my upcoming trips cabins!

Again, good luck!

Your TA needs to try again. I just change a client (my Mom) to a better cat M cabin. Originally booked as a Q Guarantee.

Your TA needs to try again. I just change a client (my Mom) to a better cat M cabin. Originally booked as a Q Guarantee.

Thanks for that info, my TA just left for Europe today on her 25th wedding anniversary, so I'll wait to bug her when she gets back.

Now THAT'S amazing!!!!!!

You can certainly change within the category.....once its assigned,it doesnt show as a guarantee...it shows as whatever category you were assigned.So its a matter of just changing from one cabin to another..

I have done this several times.

Again, good luck!

You quoted me, but I was speaking in the past tense! I was able to do this on my Radiance cruise in 2006. I think it's the OP who needs to make that call! :)

You can certainly change within the category.....once its assigned,it doesnt show as a guarantee...it shows as whatever category you were assigned.So its a matter of just changing from one cabin to another..

I have done this several times.

I called today about my guarantee and right off she knew that's what it was. I was trying to hook up the same cabin for my B2B but was a no go unless I paid the going rate. I wanted to go from a E1 to an E2:eek:

I called today about my guarantee and right off she knew that's what it was. I was trying to hook up the same cabin for my B2B but was a no go unless I paid the going rate. I wanted to go from a E1 to an E2:eek:

another example of how one person gets one answer............and another.....another.......:rolleyes:

But then again,you were trying to change categories..............different ballgame........

From what I recently experienced, I called and was upgraded on my inside gtd when the rates dropped. (I went from deck 3 to deck 4 interior.) But when I called again to get another cabin assignment because I did not want to be near the elevator I was told rates increased and any cabin change would be additional to the current rate, unless I wanted to go back to deck 3. So we stayed by the elevator on deck 4 and did not even notice it!

I guess it all depends on the prices of the different decks. But it never hurts to call and ask...

If you are going from an E1 to and E2, then it is not within the same Category and they most likely will not do anything for you. Maybe a TA could help, but in order to change cabins AFTER the Guarantee is assigned a cabin, it would have to be in the same exact Category.

Archived