Tagging the Luggage ~ Yaaaaay!!!

HeatherInFlorida

I agree that next to receiving the docs, filling out the luggage tags raises the excitement level for me! 2.5 weeks and we'll be driving to FL to sail on the Zaandam....can't wait! I also make a list way ahead of time and start pulling things together about a month before the real packing starts. We bought a new garment bag last weekend for our dressy clothes. Shoes are always such a bother because of bulkiness and lately on cruises I've been putting them in a carry on. However, I still like to mix my clothes and DH's clothes so not all of his are in one suitcase and all of mine in another....just in case. We have been driving to cruises for the last few years instead of flying because we live in the South instead of Minnesota, but there 's still the chance of a case getting lost between the dock and the cabin :-)

DJP, that's a good idea. I don't do it because I pack differently than DH. But I always have a few things to add to his suitcase when we're almost done.....I wonder why;) .

Let's face it: A cruise is only a week or 2 out of our lives ~ not a long period of time. So that's why, I think, the anticipation and all the little things like docs and tags and lists and packing become so important. We make a week's trip into a month or more of anticipation and excitement.

And that's why coming to these boards on a regular basis adds so much more fun to the whole experience:) .

Lisa, you're really into this suite thing. Did you see you said "suite case" instead of suitcase???? LOL:D And I do basically the same thing you do: I fill out a grid with all the days and then fill in what I need to wear on each day. So we're on the same page;)

Yup, there's nothing like those fresh new tags shining brightly on your luggage. Homeward bound they sure do lose their lustre.

OMG, It does look like I have Suite on the brain. it was just a slip of an extra "e"

I have to admit I am as excited as you. Both DH and I are really ready for this cruise.:p Have you gotten any farther along in your packing? Tonight I may start my list of what I need to pack.

To me, the packing is one of the more unpleasant thing about traveling. I only start packing the evening before departure. Probably has to do with that I'm no good at folding so I'm just happy if I can close my suitcase...

Marc

To me, the packing is one of the more unpleasant thing about traveling. I only start packing the evening before departure. Probably has to do with that I'm no good at folding so I'm just happy if I can close my suitcase...

Marc

Marc, I think that part of it is a "woman" thing:D . My DH packs the night before, too.

Lisa, no I haven't. I had a huge luncheon to go to today and was heavily focused on the tv the rest of the time.

So now I'm ready to really get into the nitty gritty tomorrow. Get the list done and start folding the stuff that can be done early. Yup, we're really getting there now and all's right in my little corner of the world.:)

Thanks Sierrachik...Not hitting quick reply, only hit Post reply but still no smilies..Having big proplems with my PC & the tech is picking it up tomorrow..Tonight's my last night to post till we return to FLL on the Westerdam Nov. 29..Will now spend the next five days concentrating on packing & last minute details in the house..Leave Tues. morning..Hip Hip Hooray!

Happy cruising everyone & hope you all have a wonderful cruise..

We were in 7002 on Rotterdam and it was WONDERFUL!!!

We never did figure out all the light switches. There were so many configurations and combinations that were possible that I left it all to DH to deal with. :)

I loved having the extra half bathroom.

I love the mental image!

Do you suppose if I put a tag on my wrist and stood on the dock that I might be on-loaded with the rest of the luggage? :confused:

Do you suppose I should list cabin 001? :D

Could be painful...but they just might load you right on into the infirmary....

I remember quite a few years ago when HAL would look for ship tags and pull your luggage at the airport and send it to your ship for you. After 9/11 they said you had to claim your luggage personally and take it to the bus with you. On one recent RCI trip, even though we did not have the RCI transfers, the luggage was pulled anyway, and we panicked when we couldn't find it. We didn't know if any of the bags were lost, and if one were, we wouldn't have the opportunity to have the airline trace it or put in a claim for a lost item. If you don't notice a bag is missing until you get to your cabin (in some cases, after sailing) it's almost hopeless to get it back.

Since then, we don't put the tags on the bags until we pick it up at the cruise airport.

Oh... and I don't fill them out until the last minute (in case the Upgrade Fairy is working overtime). We leave in 2 days, and I have only two small piles of crap on the "staging table" and another small pile on the ironing board. :eek:

Lisa, no way!! I've nothing in the suitcases. I have nothing planned but formal stuff. I washed and ironed almost everything I have and I'll decide Friday and Saturday. But I open the suitcases up and start throwing in odds and ends. I love looking at mine even empty. But those tags go on as soon as they're out of the attic:D

Candy, have a fantastic time!!! We'll be gone the same week. You have a good point about the tags and the airlines, but since we drive to the pier we don't have that problem.

Yes! I remember the "good 'ole days" when you put your bags on the plane and the next thing you knew, there they were in your stateroom:) . Nothing is forever.

We were in 7002 on Rotterdam and it was WONDERFUL!!!

We never did figure out all the light switches. There were so many configurations and combinations that were possible that I left it all to DH to deal with. :)

I loved having the extra half bathroom.

Sail, no matter what cabin I'm in I never figure out all the light switches until the last few days. Even in the most standard of cabins they seem to be everywhere. Drives me nuts!:D

Oh, the light switches!!!

Nothing worse than tip-toe-ing in at 2am, trying to keep quiet and instead of hitting the bathroom light, illuminating the entire suite!

:eek:

"OOps - Sorry, Hon..."

:o

Been there, Done That Brian:D

But I do like the light switch on each side of the bed.

Been there, Done That Brian:D

But I do like the light switch on each side of the bed.

Glad I'm not the only one, Lisa!!!:D

But what's up with those reading lamps?

They do an excellent job of illuminating the back of your neck when you're propped up on pillows reading in bed...

:rolleyes:

Archived