Mini or balcony? on the Island

karmacruiser

We are trying to decide between booking a mini or a balcony cabin on the Island Princess for the 10 day Panama Canal cruise. Any suggestions, opinions, or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

On the deck plans we see that some midship cabins jut out from the ship, has anyone stayed in these cabins? We would like to hear the good and bad.

Thanks!

We aren't really concerned with whether the balcony is covered or not but would like a good location, not too much noise, since it is a ten day cruise with several "at sea" days.

I really like the idea of the bigger bathroom and more room with the mini but my husband is looking at the deck plans and is wondering if some of the balcony cabins that jut out like B622 or C622 are going to have better views and balconies. The price difference for this sailing would be around $500 more for the mini which isn't too bad.

Jim-I can't open that link where I am at but will check it later from home. Maybe that will answer all of our questions.:) Thanks

We aren't really concerned with whether the balcony is covered or not but would like a good location, not too much noise, since it is a ten day cruise with several "at sea" days.

I really like the idea of the bigger bathroom and more room with the mini but my husband is looking at the deck plans and is wondering if some of the balcony cabins that jut out like B622 or C622 are going to have better views and balconies. The price difference for this sailing would be around $500 more for the mini which isn't too bad.

Jim-I can't open that link where I am at but will check it later from home. Maybe that will answer all of our questions.:) Thanks

Here's the site you need: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

I am going to be on the Coral (identical sister ship) soon and it took a bit of research to find the room we wanted. We already decided on a minisuite, but where?? That website above helped alot as well as looking at the deck plans. Both of the rooms you mentioned are on the aft "bump out" so you'd have a better view off the balcony. The non-bump out rooms on Aloha, Baja, and Caribe cannot look off their balconies and see all the way down the ship in either direction. Only those on the bump outs or on Dolphin deck can. C622 has a much bigger balcony that B622, but both may be windy since there isn't anything to block the wind as you sail forward. We got a minisuite on Dolphin deck underneath the middle bump out, so our balcony is half covered, half open. Best of both worlds, I think. Enjoy the cruise, no matter which room you choose! :)

Here's the site you need: http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

I am going to be on the Coral (identical sister ship) soon and it took a bit of research to find the room we wanted. We already decided on a minisuite, but where?? That website above helped alot as well as looking at the deck plans. Both of the rooms you mentioned are on the aft "bump out" so you'd have a better view off the balcony. The non-bump out rooms on Aloha, Baja, and Caribe cannot look off their balconies and see all the way down the ship in either direction. Only those on the bump outs or on Dolphin deck can. C622 has a much bigger balcony that B622, but both may be windy since there isn't anything to block the wind as you sail forward. We got a minisuite on Dolphin deck underneath the middle bump out, so our balcony is half covered, half open. Best of both worlds, I think. Enjoy the cruise, no matter which room you choose! :)

Thank you so much!:) This was the information we wanted before we made a decision. Happy sailing!

I would NOT want to have Cabin C622 or C637. We had Cabin C633 on the Island on a fifteen day cruise to Hawaii. Cabins C633 and C620 are handicapped cabins with large balconies, but they butt right up to Cabins C637 and C620 and the corner bump cabins have absolutely no privacy. They can see sideways down the ship and straight ahead, but if you take a look at the last page of Tom's descriptive site............the Bump Out Corners page, you will see pictures of those very cabins from the handicapped cabins next to them. I use mobility transport and cannot walk far but I would not even choose that handicapped cabin again........I would choose the next one down the row. Minis are nice for the space, and the additional seating area with the small love seat sized couch, and the second tv, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra money unless you get a really good deal. Of course, if you just love having a small tub instead of a shower, you'll love the mini.........

Have a great cruise, whatever you choose.

Just returned from a 10 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral. We had a mini on Baja deck (B230) which we enjoyed very much. We had originally booked B431 but changed to B230 because the balcony is a little larger. We have previously had a mini on both the Grand and Diamond. We enjoyed having the covered balcony on Baja deck on the Coral and have booked mini's on the CB and Sapphire on Emerald deck for future cruises. The only drawback to our room on the Coral was that the elevators nearest our room only went down to the Promenade deck.

We were on the Coral, a sister ship to the island, and found a fantastic deal on a mini...actually the same price as the bump out balcony cabins on the Caribe deck. It was noted to be an error on the website but they gave it to us anyway. Never had a mini suite before so wanted to give it a try. Friends of ours were on the Caribe deck --- one of those with a larger balcony. To me, one room wasn't better than the other. The extra room in the mini wasn't really a big deal to me. Having the extra room on the balcony is key. The balconies were actually about the same size, the regular balcony room on the Caribe might have even been just a smidge bigger. We were on the Dolphin and did like our room...just would have been as happy in the balcony room. Wouldn't have paid more for the mini and glad we didn't --- no complaints --- just really didn't need the extra room inside as we spent all our time out on the balcony.

The bump out cabins are exactly midship and are kind of popular...but the balconies are smaller if that might be a consideration for you.

We just booked a mini on the Island for a Transcanal. It will be our first Mini and we are really looking forward to it. We used the sites refered above to do the research and they were very resourceful. The deciding factor for us this time was the difference in price between a good balcony cabin and a mini wasn't that great, and the extra shipboard credit helped soften the blow. Plus, being a 10 day cruise we are looking forward to the extra space.

Good luck, and good shopping!!

On the Island, are the only covered mini's the four extreme forward ones on the Baja deck?

Judging from the linked web site, I'm thinking yes but looking for confirmation. We have a BD booked for a 10-day Panama Canal trip next year, but would look at a mini but it must be covered and we won't want the extreme forward cabins (been there, done that, woken up to anchor sounds each time!).

My rule of thumb is, the more sea days, the larger the cabin and balcony!;)

For instance, we sailed on the Star Princess for a Baltic, very port intensive, and we were very satisfied with the balcony. The money we saved was spent on great shore excursions. Souther Caribbean, we've visited most of the ports, went with a full suite! Doing the same on our Amazon cruise in 2010 and can't wait. For those time in between, such as Alaska, went with the mini.

I would NOT want to have Cabin C622 or C637. We had Cabin C633 on the Island on a fifteen day cruise to Hawaii. Cabins C633 and C620 are handicapped cabins with large balconies, but they butt right up to Cabins C637 and C620 and the corner bump cabins have absolutely no privacy. They can see sideways down the ship and straight ahead, but if you take a look at the last page of Tom's descriptive site............the Bump Out Corners page, you will see pictures of those very cabins from the handicapped cabins next to them. I use mobility transport and cannot walk far but I would not even choose that handicapped cabin again........I would choose the next one down the row. Minis are nice for the space, and the additional seating area with the small love seat sized couch, and the second tv, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra money unless you get a really good deal. Of course, if you just love having a small tub instead of a shower, you'll love the mini.........

Have a great cruise, whatever you choose.

The other cabin (not a mini but a hump) to NOT pick is B503. We had this cabin for Alaska in 2007 and the noise from the service door directly across from the room was terrible. The location was good but that in no way made up for the noise.

My rule of thumb is, the more sea days, the larger the cabin and balcony!;)

For instance, we sailed on the Star Princess for a Baltic, very port intensive, and we were very satisfied with the balcony. The money we saved was spent on great shore excursions. Souther Caribbean, we've visited most of the ports, went with a full suite! Doing the same on our Amazon cruise in 2010 and can't wait. For those time in between, such as Alaska, went with the mini.

That policy works for me as well.

On the Island, are the only covered mini's the four extreme forward ones on the Baja deck?

Judging from the linked web site, I'm thinking yes but looking for confirmation. We have a BD booked for a 10-day Panama Canal trip next year, but would look at a mini but it must be covered and we won't want the extreme forward cabins (been there, done that, woken up to anchor sounds each time!).

The Mini's at the back of Caribe Deck on the Island are partially covered and partially uncovered.

We always go for the larger balcony, but we have been in both types of cabins on this class of ship, and you can't go wrong either way.

The only cabins on these ships I would avoid would be those that are adjacent to the midship bumpout and the 2-3 next to those. These cabins have limited sight lines fore/aft. Get a cabin on the bumpout or well between them and you'll be fine.

Before I had to reverse plans for February Panama Canal cruise on the Island, I chose C622 because of the views it had, especially for pulling into ports on the southbound leg of the trip.

We were on the Island for the 18 day R/T to Panama and had mini C231. We were quite pleased with the location.

We had a covered balcony.

The mini was very nice, with the full size sofa, plenty of storage and a bathtub. And the size of the balcony was nice.

Our location was close the the forward elevators/stairs and just three decks up to the Horizon.

Archived