No Fuel Surcharge!!

phinn

OK, so what do you guys think? If I book a 2010 cruise now, I get the surcharge, but after Nov 10 no fuel surcharge, but I take the chance the rates will go up. Was about to book when I read this. Anyone think that the surcharge will disappear, but rates stay the same since the economy is not that great? Is it worth the risk? I know there will be rebates, but that's on cruises already booked. I'm on the edge...

I already booked and am paying the surcharge. If prices go down between now and May 09 then I get onboard credit. I won't loose any sleep over the surcharge. If it shows up on my account then I will be happy; however if it doesn't show up I will still have a fun cruise.

cheers

OK, so what do you guys think? If I book a 2010 cruise now, I get the surcharge, but after Nov 10 no fuel surcharge, but I take the chance the rates will go up. Was about to book when I read this. Anyone think that the surcharge will disappear, but rates stay the same since the economy is not that great? Is it worth the risk? I know there will be rebates, but that's on cruises already booked. I'm on the edge...

SImple.... book it now w/ surcharge... then after the Nov. date... check rates and if the same without fuel supplement, cancel and rebook ! Do the math and you will have your answer after the 10th. :rolleyes:

Just to add..............I will not be getting a fuel surcharge refund in the form of an OBC because I booked last Feb!!!! Even if the fuel barrel rates drop below $65!!!! How did they come up with that one???? When I called RCCL their explaination was, "they had to draw the line somewhere"!! Excuse me but.......WHAT???? Yes, i will still enjoy my cruise and blah blah blah but they have been sitting on my fuel surcharge for approx 8 1/2 months but because I didn't book in the time frame they are using I am not entitled to one? If someone (and I am sure there will be) could explain away RCCL for this, let me know...............

Who told you that? This is what's out on the RCCL website:

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.

The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply are:

Fuel Price Determination Date - Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds

December 18, 2008 - First quarter 2009

March 18, 2009 - Second quarter 2009

June 17, 2009 - Third quarter 2009

September 17, 2009 - Fourth quarter 2009

December 18, 2009 - First quarter 2010

March 18, 2010 - Second quarter 2010

June 17, 2010 - Third quarter 2010

September 17, 2010 - Fourth quarter 2010

We will continue to closely monitor the movement of global fuel prices and recognize that an upturn in those prices could necessitate the reinstatement of a fuel supplement.

I don't see anything in this that has a "beginning point" for the fuel surcharge refund. Based on what they've published, you will get an OBC for your fuel supplement if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less on December 18, 2008 (because your cruise is in first quarter 2009).

The phone reps at RCCL are pretty well known for not being exceptionally well informed - I'd call back if I were you, and if you get the same answer, I'd ask for a supervisor and then refer them to this webpage

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=000090-lGshzpEjhRkFjXB6oMXo:12hdhubrs?pagename=fuel_supplement

and ask them where it says you're not eligible due to your booking date!

Just to add..............I will not be getting a fuel surcharge refund in the form of an OBC because I booked last Feb!!!! Even if the fuel barrel rates drop below $65!!!! How did they come up with that one???? When I called RCCL their explaination was, "they had to draw the line somewhere"!! Excuse me but.......WHAT???? Yes, i will still enjoy my cruise and blah blah blah but they have been sitting on my fuel surcharge for approx 8 1/2 months but because I didn't book in the time frame they are using I am not entitled to one? If someone (and I am sure there will be) could explain away RCCL for this, let me know...............

Not sure you are right on this one see below... your cruise is in 2009 and you booked before Nov 2008 why wouldn't you get one? I think you fall under this catagory:

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, [or 2009 cruises booked after November 10] the company will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closinOn December 18, 2008, Royal Caribbean will note the closing price per barrel of West Texas Intermediate fuel. If that price is $65 or less, passengers departing on cruises between January 1 and March 31, 2009 (first quarter 2009) will earn a refund in the form of onboard credit.

g time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter."

That came straight from RC rep!!! I think I will call back now and quote this. I am a bit pist about the whole think, LOL. It isn't the measly $60 pp it is the point that if I am entitled then so be it. Will let you know the outcome

As I said in my previous post it isn't the money, it is the point..........If I am entitled to something then I should receive it. I guess you didn't see the LOL after the statement about be being a bit pist............Oh Well!! :rolleyes:

Well as you can see, I went ahead and booked it. I will get credit if the price of oil remains stable or something like that, but in either case, it won't ruin my plans for a great cruise. Just curious if people were waiting till the 10th now.... thanks

Well as you can see, I went ahead and booked it. I will get credit if the price of oil remains stable or something like that, but in either case, it won't ruin my plans for a great cruise. Just curious if people were waiting till the 10th now.... thanks

WTG.... now just the anticipation of waiting for that cruise starts ! I just booked a 5 nighter early chrsitmas gift cruise for my kids and their fiance's for Dec. 13th sailing.... but on a different cruiseline and close to home so no air to purchase ! But for the price... I couldnt refuse AND may get an OBC for fuel supplement refund if the price per barell stays in the range it is in right now ! But if I dont get the refund... thats ok too, we will still have a GREAT TIME ! :cool:

Gosh.... so much anger over these fuel supplement issues right now......and that is but a small fraction of what your overall cruise costs are ! I am sorry, but if that is going to make or break the bank.... oh well !:rolleyes:

Weeeeeeelllll, it may not break the bank, but the total in fuel surcharges included in my current cruise deposits is $1,000. I want that back!!! We have 4 cabins on deposit for a surprise family cruise, and as much as we love them all, we are not interested in paying for their cruise AND giving them an obc. So, that one in 2010 I may cancel and rebook in November if the prices are the same. Otherwise, I'm telling my TA to have ALL the obc money go to our cabin, and we'll get the credit or cash after the cruise.

I don't know why they just don't give us the money back on our credit cards. I hope they rethink this.

Archived