2-way radios

cruzin2

We are traveling with our 2 teenage daughters and don't want to ruin their time by having them at our side all day so we were thinking of taking 2-way radios so they can let us know what is up. Has anyone used a 2-way radio on board ship and if so how do they work? I don't want to purchase them if they will not work aboard ship.

Thanks for your input.

If your daughters will use them it could work out fine. My partner and I had them for a couple of cruises and decided that they were not worth the effort. It culminated when I was paging him in Notre Dame in Paris and the docents swarmed all over him. It was soooooooo funny. Just besure that your daughters will use them.

On the ship, you really don't need them. Off the ship, your kids should be with you.

We actually found them to be very useful while on the ship, we only used them at night. It made getting our son much easier and finding out what time he planned to come back. Agree with the fact you wouldn't be using them in port, as I would not let my kids leave my side.

I had no intention of letting the kids be on there own in port. They would be with us. Just thought it might be handy to be able to check in with them during the day while on the ship without them having to hang out with us the entire time.

Thanks for the replies!!

There are some downsides;

1) They're illegal in a lot of countries. Just because they're an unlicensed band in the USA, they may require licenses elsewhere.

2) A lot of fellow cruise passengers hate to hear "BEEP - can you hear me now" all the time.

Post it notes in your cabin work just as well, without the downside.

If your daughters will use them it could work out fine. My partner and I had them for a couple of cruises and decided that they were not worth the effort. It culminated when I was paging him in Notre Dame in Paris and the docents swarmed all over him. It was soooooooo funny. Just besure that your daughters will use them.

You're lucky the gendarmes didn't swarm you, since the frequency used for US FRS/GMRS radios is apparently used for Civil Service in Europe (police, fire, EMS). My guess is that wouldn't have been as funny for your partner or for the civil services authorities you might have been interfering with.

There are some downsides;

1) They're illegal in a lot of countries. Just because they're an unlicensed band in the USA, they may require licenses elsewhere.

FWIW, they're not unlicensed in the USA, unless you have the 2 mile range FRS radios, you are required to have a license to use them. Here's a link to the FCC web page for FRS/GMRS radios if anyone wants to see the words from the government.

Archived