Can anyone offer advice? Fare is down TA won't help

toyisland8

Hi everyone... we are set to sail on Triumph November 9, we have6 cabins total, booked through my MIL's agent. When I saw that fares pp went down $100 pp a few weeks back, I told her to check with agent that she should be able to get OBC. Agent flat out gives her the runaround telling her, they don't do that. Will Carnival help at all directly?I am so frustrated. My inlaws paid for everyone to go on the cruise for their 50th Ann. and spent a lot to do so, and they book through this agent a lot, I am really upset that I feel they are being taken advantage of by this women, but am not sure if there is anything that can even be done :( She keeps tellimg MIL that if she was to make any changes the rooms wouldn't be on same floor, which of course she knows MIL wants ..... any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Hi everyone... we are set to sail on Triumph November 9, we have6 cabins total, booked through my MIL's agent. When I saw that fares pp went down $100 pp a few weeks back, I told her to check with agent that she should be able to get OBC. Agent flat out gives her the runaround telling her, they don't do that. Will Carnival help at all directly?I am so frustrated. My inlaws paid for everyone to go on the cruise for their 50th Ann. and spent a lot to do so, and they book through this agent a lot, I am really upset that I feel they are being taken advantage of by this women, but am not sure if there is anything that can even be done :( She keeps tellimg MIL that if she was to make any changes the rooms wouldn't be on same floor, which of course she knows MIL wants ..... any insight would be appreciated.

the agent could be right about the rooms not being on the same floor,,,if you booked a gtd Category, for example, and you get the OBC with reduced fare, they stick you right back into unassigned cabins,,,and you lose whatever cabin is already assigned to you,,,,

happened to me,,,,,,ended up with the same cabin when they reassigned, but we are traveling alone, and it was no biggie for us,,,it might be for you.

If that doesn't bother you, then I'd call the agency and try talking to the agent myself,,,

if they can't or won't do it, they aren't a decent agent,,,It's her job to warn you that you might end up with different cabins on different decks (possibly) than you have now,,,,,but it's not her job to decide FOR you,,,

If she won't do it, even if you insist, do not use her again,,,,,,and I'd tell her so IN WRITING with a letter to the manager. Holly

Thanks Holly, I appreciate the help. I am just so frustrated, because it seems like she just doesn't want to lose her commission on the higher rate. Which I guess is all fine well and good IF the customer doesn't 'know' that they can get OBC when price drops, LOL I seem to be the only one in the group that is even paying attention, but I tend to always look for the bargain :o Thanks again!!

I don't see how the cabins could change if they adjusted the rate and gave an OBC.... I saw no mention that you booked as a guarantee. But if the TA booked this as a "group" thru the group dept., than you would NOT be entitled to any OBC. Without knowing how this was booked and/or the whole story, hard to say if the TA is being difficult or not really. :confused:

Thanks Holly, I appreciate the help. I am just so frustrated, because it seems like she just doesn't want to lose her commission on the higher rate. Which I guess is all fine well and good IF the customer doesn't 'know' that they can get OBC when price drops, LOL I seem to be the only one in the group that is even paying attention, but I tend to always look for the bargain :o Thanks again!!

Is it possible that she told you MIL that she WOULD change you,,,,,but warned her quite strongly that you could lose the rooms you have now and end up quite far apart, and your MIL decided it wasn't worth the risk?? If your MIL is paying for it, she may have decided that it's WORTH the extra money,,,,and she might be extremely disappointed if y'all were on different decks,,,,

Holly

I have asked for and recieved OBC when prices dropped in the past and it required no room change. I would call the agency and ask to speak to a supervisor. Customer service should outweigh any other consideration including commission. Once you have booked through a TA Carnival won't help you. Good luck!

I don't see how the cabins could change if they adjusted the rate and gave an OBC.... I saw no mention that you booked as a guarantee. But if the TA booked this as a "group" thru the group dept., than you would NOT be entitled to any OBC. Without knowing how this was booked and/or the whole story, hard to say if the TA is being difficult or not really. :confused:

I booked a gtd Cat 6a, with a possible upgrade,,,months later, we had been assigned to a cat 6a exactly, no upgrade,,,

then the price went down,,,I called Carnival and was told I could get the OBC, but that would negate my cabin assignment and we'd be put back to a gtd until they assigned cabins again,,,,,,IOW, we might not get the same rooms!!!

We chose to go for it,,,,,the worst that could happen was a cat 6a, and since we hadn't gotten an upgrade, it was worth it,,,,,we got the same room again, but that doesn't always happen,,,

If they booked a certain Cat gtd, and have been assigned cabins already, then it's possible they'll lose those cabins and get WORSE accomodations,,,,

Holly

Hi everyone... we are set to sail on Triumph November 9, we have6 cabins total, booked through my MIL's agent. When I saw that fares pp went down $100 pp a few weeks back

The current rates may no longer even be at the rates you saw a "a few weeks back" therefore there is nothing that could be done now.

The way I see it... your MIL was generous to pay for the cruises.... she booked the cruises... she is in charge of the bookings along with the TA, and it is HER CHOICE to challenge the TA for the OBC if in fact even eligible for any.

I understand you are looking out for her as that is a siginificant amount of $$$, but don't ya think it is her business how she spends her money and not yours ??? :rolleyes:

If they booked a certain Cat gtd, and have been assigned cabins already, then it's possible they'll lose those cabins and get WORSE accomodations,,,,

Holly

But the OP did not say they booked gty staterooms....and it was her MIL that did all the arrangements. The whole story is not known so it is really hard to say what they can do now.

I am well aware of how a guarantee stateroom works regarding cabin being assigned later and then you go back to square 1 but get the OBC. Have done this many times before.

But the OP did not say they booked gty staterooms....and it was her MIL that did all the arrangements. The whole story is not known so it is really hard to say what they can do now.

I am well aware of how a guarantee stateroom works regarding cabin being assigned later and then you go back to square 1 but get the OBC. Have done this many times before.

Ok,,,but I was just warning her she MIGHT lose those cabins,,,since she didn't pay for it,,,,well,,,maybe it's worth the money to her mil is all I'm saying,,,,

I'd hate for her MIL to pay for something as expensive as a cruise for all those people, and then be crushed that they are not where she wanted them to be is all,,,,,

Am trying to see it from the TA's POV since I was a TA for so long,,,she might have had very good reasons for warning the MIL is all,,,Holly

Am trying to see it from the TA's POV since I was a TA for so long,,,she might have had very good reasons for warning the MIL is all,,,Holly

Without really knowing the full story of what transpired and how it was booked......I guess we just won't know.

I hope the OP will come back and let us know how it turned out, but at the end of the day.... a great family reunion will be had while enjoying a cruise, thanks to the generosity of the MIL !

Without really knowing the full story of what transpired and how it was booked......I guess we just won't know.

I hope the OP will come back and let us know how it turned out, but at the end of the day.... a great family reunion will be had while enjoying a cruise, thanks to the generosity of the MIL !

I agree!! What a gift huh??? I'd be in HEAVEN if anyone gave ME a gift like that,,,,the OP must be very excited and happy :) Holly

toyisland8 -

IF you booked these cabins as "Guarantee" and have already been assigned cabins, then to get credit/obc you would have to return the cabins and return to Guarantee status and you would most likely end-up with rooms all over the ship.

IF these were booked as a "Group" booking, then generally such bookings are not eligible for price drops & OBC.

Since you booked via TA, Carnival can't/won't help you with this issue.

You can't unilaterally transfer your booking to another agency or back to Carnival. Under extreme circumstances there IS a procedure thru Carnival to do so, but this doesn't look to qualify.

ken

I just booked 4 cabins for the Fascination Dec. 13th.... early christmas gift for my 3 kids and their fiance's along with us....They better not say anything about this FREE cruise other than a HUGE THANKS !!! :rolleyes:

wow,,,lol,,,how generous :) Have a wonderful time,,,,,the rates aren't half bad at that time, but that's STILL a fantabulous Christmas gift!! Holly

Thanks....they have all cruised since they were 3 years old... and are very excited to be able to go and still let dear old parents eat the expense ! I just returned from the Sept. 29th sailing aboard the Fascination... a great ship and a mere 2 hr. drive to get there....

I love that drive to the port thing :) I drive 20 minutes to Tampa,,,Port Canavral would be about 2 maybe 3 hours, and Miami would be about 5 hours,,,,

much better than flying :) Holly

Find out what she charges if you move the booking and tell her you are going to transfer to another agent or carnival direct. I bet she will help you then.

Candi

Not a great idea since the agency would have to agree to sign off and of course what TA would agree to transfer bookings and lose commission on 6 cabins. Empty threat.

OP since we dont know how these cabins were booked and they were booked thru a TA, if you are the only one wanted to do something about the rate and not the one paying, Id leave it alone too. There might be reasons the cabins cant be changed. Free upgrades to another category?? Sometimes folks dont know to look at the new category, think they should only check the price of what they paid for. Too many variables to know.

"Can anyone offer advice? Fare is down TA won't help"

I have the same problem. I booked my upcoming Fantasy cruise thru Seamiles. They are next to useless once they have your money. The basic rate for my cabin has almost dropped to half of what I paid. They will do nothing and Carnival says that they can do nothing because I booked thru Seamiles. I have cut up my Seamiles card and will be going back to booking directly thru a Carnival PVP for the future.

"Can anyone offer advice? Fare is down TA won't help"

I have the same problem. I booked my upcoming Fantasy cruise thru Seamiles. They are next to useless once they have your money. The basic rate for my cabin has almost dropped to half of what I paid. They will do nothing and Carnival says that they can do nothing because I booked thru Seamiles. I have cut up my Seamiles card and will be going back to booking directly thru a Carnival PVP for the future.

what an absolute utter shame,,,,,,,they give travel agents a bad name,,,when I was a travel agent, I was GLEEFUL that I could get my clients a discount,,,

do you know how happy a client is when you call them and tell them you saved them 300 bucks?????

I am not kidding,,,,,,,they think it's the biggest deal in the world,,,,they bring you PRESENTS from the islands,,,,,and most importantly,,

they tell all their friends to call YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Utter shame, I tell you,,,,,

Holly

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I certainly am not trying to do anything above MIL head without her approval, we have been discussing this issue since I noted the change in fares pp (and they are still 100 pp lower), so I was just coming here looking for some advice in the event anyone had this happen to them. We are all very excited and feel blessed to be going. She most definitely would have liked the OBC (and we are not considered a group booking - I believe we were a few cabins too short). I know that this cruise was a big strain for them and they wanted it very much, they were able to swing insides for each family and we are all very grateful, so I am not sure why it seems some think I am meddling in her business... I wouldn't do that without her being open to this, I thought this was a place to discuss things and I am sorry as it seems to some I sound ungrateful. My family would not get OBC - was thinking purely of ways to help her out, with her blessing. We had already paid to upgrade our cabin (as there are 5 in my family and I was afraid inside would be too small) and the rate we paid has not changed only the insides have been reduced. I do know that the cabins have been assigned now (I guess because it is so close to sailing) but do not know if they were guarantee?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I certainly am not trying to do anything above MIL head without her approval,

We were just saying there could be lots of reasons. It would be easier if you booked the cruise and were the one talking one on one to the TA.

btw I have a cruise booked and the price dropped and my TA wouldnt make a refund either, but they agreed to upgrade us up to where the price matched what we paid, so we moved up even if they wouldnt give the refund.

Thats a big reason to consider booking thru Carnival next time. Lesson to me too. Some TAs just dont want to give the refund and they dont have to is the bottom line, nothing you can do (or I can do in my case either).

Wow, as a travel agent, I have to say that I am just dumbfounded that there are travel agents that refuse to allow the repricing of a cabin if the fares go down. I personally check current pricing on cabins prior to applying final payments. If I find a lower rate (or if I see a promo) that would apply to my clients booking, I let the client decide if they want an upgrade or if they want the lower rate. In other words, I treat my clients the way that I would like to be treated. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that I have a lot of repeat business... Anyway, I just had to post this because not all ta's are like the ones being discussed here. I know many professinal ta's that do the same thing I do. And, believe me, if you book direct with a cruise line, they are not going to call you and say, "hey, do you want a lower price!"

Archived