How About Being Spontaneous........

sail7seas

I think it clear I love coming to this BB and enjoy posting and reading what folks have to say about cruising and particularly cruising HAL.

There were no boards like this when we started cruising and we didn't know many people who had cruised.

When we arrived at our first cruise we had little idea what to expect but, of course, that is not the case today for new cruisers who wish to research here and on the web in general.

But, folks........ Those who are awaiting your first cruise, do you really want to know every tiny step by step detail about every aspect of your cruise? Do you not want to leave anything to experience without a pre-formed perception of what it will be like?

Just a suggestion that a bit of spontaneity would be fun to experience. Leave at least a few things to be surprised about? Do you honestly want to mico manage and totally examine every little cruising detail before you get to the ship?

Anyone agree?

Actually I do. Although we've cruised many times, it will be our first time on a Cunard ship, in November. While I have asked some questions of experienced Cunarders, there are some things I've deliberately not asked, as I want to find out for myself when we explore the ship.

Sailing on a new cruiseline is almost like being a first time cruiser all over again!

Just a suggestion that a bit of spontaneity would be fun to experience. Leave at least a few things to be surprised about? Do you honestly want to mico manage and totally examine every little cruising detail before you get to the ship?

Anyone agree?

Agree completely! I think folks need to find the balance between being well informed & being overly planned. Too much info can be as bad as not enough, leading to rigid expectations about the way things "should" be. And unmet expectations often lead to unpleasant experiences. We try to be prepared but still have enough flexibility to enjoy whatever the moment brings. ;);)

I'm fine with planning the big picture, leave the small things to themselves, then let it happen as it will. Because I know it's going to!

I suspect the micro-managing is a carry-over from real life, and has become a habit that won't be easy to break. It's a way of feeling in control when so much of life is out of control.

Yes, of course, if micro-managing is what they want, go for it!!!

I see your point, Ruth.

But happy to hear it isn't only me who can't imagine wanting to know every teeny tiny detail in advance.

I love surprises. :)

And, IMO, excellent point about 'unmet expectations'. Perhaps they are setting their expectation level so high it will be near impossible for any ship/crew to meet it.

I think that is very good advice. There is nothing more exciting than a first cruise and the discovery with no preconceived expectations. Hardly anything can truly go wrong on a first trip because you don't know what is right or wrong about it. You just know you had a great time. lol

I am a new cruiser...AK in 2009. I must say that I manage my day -to-day in much the same compulsive manner as I have in preparing for this holiday. I certainly would have severe regret if I hadn't known to book Harv & Marv in advance, or worse yet, had not known of this excursion, since it is not included in HAL's onboard excursion lists. I feel that the best surprises of all will be the scenery of Alaska, the people that I hope to meet, but cannot control this in any way; the smells, sounds, whatever!!!, but not being aware of the rituals of the cruising life in general would really be remis on my part.

I did a lot of reading up - and asking questions - before our first cruise and I am glad I did. Not only did I get lots of answers but also got to know some of our fellow cruisers before the time so we did not feel like complete strangers.

Nonetheless, getting on the ship was still very new and surprising. Then again, every time I walk on to a ship it is exciting...

I knew absolutely nothing when we took our first HAL cruise. I had never heard of this or any other cruise board and had no idea what to expect.

I've learned a lot since, and in many ways it's helped me to plan better and be better informed about, as Ruth says, the big picture. The small stuff has always seemed to fall into place for me.

The one cruise I did micro manage was the 3 day Eurodam because of all the "things" I had heard going wrong. I made all my dinner reservations in advance and confirmed them as soon as we boarded because I didn't want to fall "victim" to the many TA's and VIP's on board. That turned out to be a good thing since everything worked out well.

After 28 cruises whenever I cruise on a "new" ship (to me) I like some of the "secrets" I didn't know before. As to negative comments about a ship I tune them out because I know my experience will be different than someone else's and I like to "go with the flow".

I think it clear I love coming to this BB and enjoy posting and reading what folks have to say about cruising and particularly cruising HAL.

There were no boards like this when we started cruising and we didn't know many people who had cruised.

When we arrived at our first cruise we had little idea what to expect but, of course, that is not the case today for new cruisers who wish to research here and on the web in general.

But, folks........ Those who are awaiting your first cruise, do you really want to know every tiny step by step detail about every aspect of your cruise? Do you not want to leave anything to experience without a pre-formed perception of what it will be like?

Anyone agree?

I was thinking the same thing the other day. If one has pictures of the ship,their exact cabin,menus for each night of a cruise,what's the surprise? Yes I like a little info,but I don't need to know what I'm going to eat at each course on each night. if they should run out of an item I'd be completely stumped;)

Alright, I will cover the other side! I don't care about the food - it will be there and I will eat and it will be good!

I do want to have a plan for every port. I don't want to "wing it".

I want to know the amenities in the rooms. I don't want to be unprepared.

I want to know what is available on the ship for entertainment.

I want to know acceptable attire.

I really enjoy the pre-cruise "getting prepared" legwork. Tell me all you can and I can feel the vacation vibes getting closer! If you have a picture of my room, I want to see it and picture myself there. The vacation IS a surprise - there is nothing in life you can plan (or would want to) to every detail. It's just fun and makes the vacation experience begin much sooner!:D

DW and I lurked on this board for about a year and a half, and didn't join until after our third HAL cruise, so we couldn't ask any questions for quite a while!

I am amazed at the depth of detail that some people want to pre-plan ... like what movies are being shown on a ship!! Is it going to change anything significant when they know?

As others have said, I believe the more you micro-manage the more you are opening yourself to disappointment when, inevitably, something unexpected happens.

With each cruise I seek less and less information. I still enjoy reading through this message board, I try to learn about ports but as far as every detail of the ship, no.

We have a guarantee booked for a trip leaving in 6 weeks, I have not even checked to see if we have a cabin assignment. I want to be suprised.

First timers are still smart to do their research on cruise life, the cruise line, their ship, etc.

But don't worry about the size of your cabin, what the entertainment is, etc. Just take it all in when you get there.

I guess I'm probably one of the ones you'd consider to be micro-managing.

Chalk it up to having 8 months notice to gear up for it! Any time I'm on holiday, I want to be able to make the most of my time. I don't care much about knowing what the menu will be or what the on-board entertainment is. I do however want to bring stuff with me that will make my life easier on the trip, or make better use of my time, or will help keep the costs manageable. And yes, I'll continue asking questions to that end. :D

I am kinda in the middle, I get excited and do ask alot of questions. We took a NCL cruise and got alot of not really negative information but was preparing for a non-HAL experience. I was told of the small cabins and terrible food. Well let me tell you they aren't HAL but because I was told all of that I kept telling my husband just be prepared it isn't HAL and you know what we were pleasantly surprise, yeah it was a closet:D but we got really close:eek: , the food was good not like HAL but it was good. So in our case it was great. I still ask questions on shore excursions and transportation and what to expect but with HAL I know we will always be happy. Really excited for the Eurodam in May!!

Kathy

I think that no matter how much you research or how many questions you ask, there is always something else...no one can fully describe that thrill of excitement when you board a ship for a cruise. Whether it's your first ship or your 20th, it's a brand new feeling every time. That first morning when you step out on your balcony or on the promenade deck and you're at sea finally or at sea again and this is what you've been waiting for -- you can read about it but it's new every time.

When it's a wonderful experience it's not the same as it is on paper.

The research and the questions and the planning..it's called anticipation and we all know how pleasurable that is.

I really don't understand why other people's vacation planning - or lack thereof - would concern some of you. :confused:

I/we are VERY easygoing and we are not at all hard to please. Just because I ask oodles of questions - check my posting history :o - doesn't mean I'm setting myself up for disappointment, or that I won't have any exciting surprises onboard. I know that our trip will be great, because as I said in my very first post here, I believe cruises are what you make of them. :)

My questions are because I'm curious now, and I don't see a valid reason why I shouldn't ask these ahead of time. If that bothers anyone, well then feel free to ignore my threads. :rolleyes:

I guess I approach it a little like I approached parenting. I get as much information as I can find, read everything, realize many people have different opinions on what's the best way to do things, ask everyone and then I have a lot of options to use. I think over the information I have and make strategies of what I think will work best for us, try that, if it doesn't work I have enough information that I'm prepared to form and try a different strategy.

The things I mainly want to plan ahead are anything that will take up my time on a cruise. I want to know the fastest way to get places, the place with the shortest lines to buy tickets or wether to buy them ahead, are there things I can bring that will save me time. I don't want to use my trip time doing anything but having fun if I can help it, and certainly not standing in line or searching for a store with the batteries I need.

There are things, like someone mentioned the menus, I want those to be a surprise. It doesn't really help me save time to know what we will be having each night and it makes for a nice surprise...unless of course I'm trying to plan when to go to the Pinnacle....:rolleyes:

I personally have gleaned alot from this site. My questions have been about things I do get concerned about only because I read something on one of these boards and it brings up a thought or concern...like luggage security proceedures or that our vaccines might not be enough for our ports.

Other than that..I usually am entertained by the small questions about things like food, drinks and what a certain stateroom might look like. These things are all subject to opinions of a person...verses complete facts that will not most likely change. Not that I do not respect those opinions...but I would prefer to make up my own mind without predujust(sp?).

I am really glad that someone told me about cc. I have enjoyed it and its helped me to prepare for this cruise.;)

That's twice we have agreed in the last couple of days.

Next thing you know, lions will be laying with lambs. :eek:

Seriously though, that is a legitimate point and "discovering" for yourself what a ship or cruise is all about represents a good deal of the holiday experience - or dare I say adventure. We knew nothing about the Maasdam when we boarded it on our first HAL cruise. It seemed everytime we turned around we saw something new and delightful. The shorex from Puerto Quetzal to Tikal was perhaps the most exotic we have experienced to this day. The fact we really didn't know what to expect made it all the more wondrous.

I would hate to think people miss out on some of this because of what happens here. Questions seem to delve right into the minutia.

Again, good point.

Smooth sailing...

Anyone agree?

Totally agree. Planning my sixth trip and maybe a bit smarter than before but.....I still am not interrested in micro-management as its far too time consuming and not worth it in the end. I tend to plan my vacations around the fact that the big ticket items and "must sees" are planned well in advance. However, I then leave some time open with some money on the side to do whatever strikes our fancy at other times.

I really don't need to know what they will be serving in the Lido on such and such a day. Surprise me! :)

David

Archived