No diapers in pool policy - Crown Princess

CSoul

My daughter is getting married on the Crown Princess on Feb. 1 and will be bringing along her daughter who will be 18 months old when we cruise.

I've been reading some posts that mention that no diapers are allowed in Princess pools. Does this include the diapers that are made for toddlers to wear in pools????

I doubt she'll be potty trained by then!! My daughter is getting worried....

Anyone able to provide information would be greatly appreciated!

Danielle

Generally, ships without a special filtration system won't allow even "swim" diapers in pools. True, the diaper may hold any "solids" in, but the water still flows through the diaper, leeching out any bacteria into the pool where others come in contact with it. Ick.

At 18 months, if the child doesn't see the pool, they won't know what they're missing.

Not exactly what my daughter and I wanted to hear. Not much else an 18 month old can do on a ship!!!

I'm surprised our TA didn't mention this fact when she booked us on this line. Since our final payments are due in a few weeks, might be a cancellation factor!!

So very dissappointed.

Danielle

My wife & I had booked on the Crown Princess for Jan.

We understood that our 1 year old wasn't allowed in the pool. Not a problem.

Our TA had told us that many people took blow-up pools along instead for non-potty trained kids.

When we talked to Princess to confirm this, they said absolutely not, not even on your balcony. They were also very rude and said they didn't recommend their line for us.

So we cancelled it and we're booked on a Disney Cruise for Jan. instead.

No swim diapers are allowed.

I don't understand why a pool is such a big deal for an 18 month old. I wouldn't blame your TA unless you asked this question directly; I doubt she/he would even think about this.

I agree there is not much an 18 month old can do on a cruise since they aren't old enough to participate in the kid's program. But even if she could go in the pool, would you have her be there all day?

This thread really gets a battering doesnt it? I only wonder how many kids that are potty trained especially older children "go in the pool" and toddlers who are not potty trained but parents say they are (I am not condoning this btw before I get slated) but at least with a swim nappy there would be less leakage! Just a thought.

I do think the cruise lines should allow for this by having an area for the kids as most children want to go in the pool esp if they have older siblings, and there is not a great deal for toddlers to do and why should they not go on holiday, parents need a break too. Tbh the cruise lines are happy to charge a huge amount for infants and make out they are child friendly bu dont cater for there needs enough imo.

This thread really gets a battering doesnt it? I only wonder how many kids that are potty trained especially older children "go in the pool" and toddlers who are not potty trained but parents say they are (I am not condoning this btw before I get slated) but at least with a swim nappy there would be less leakage! Just a thought.

I do think the cruise lines should allow for this by having an area for the kids as most children want to go in the pool esp if they have older siblings, and there is not a great deal for toddlers to do and why should they not go on holiday, parents need a break too. Tbh the cruise lines are happy to charge a huge amount for infants and make out they are child friendly bu dont cater for there needs enough imo.

But this thread is not about changes that cruiselines should perhaps make, the OP simply wanted to know if her grandaughter would be allowed to use swim diapers on the Crown Princess. The answer is no.

It's just another illustration of how important research and planning is before booking. Don't trust a TA to do it for you. Make a list of what's important to you and then look for a cruiseline that can provide most of what you need.

Thanks for your kind post Tank. I'm not quite sure what we will do now as there's over 20 of us booked already.

As for your comments rugrats.... uncalled for. I thought i'd get a little more sympathy for the situation having posted under FAMILY CRUISING but I guess the trolls are everywhere!

As this is the ONE and ONLY activity I can see an 18 month old toddler enjoying on a cruiseship, yes IT IS A MAJOR CONCERN. As for spending the entire day at the pool with a toddler, perhaps you're that sort of irresponsible parent but my daughter sure isn't. I never did insinuate that this would be THEIR ONLY activity but would surely be my granddaughter's only likable activity!

Thanks for your kind post Tank. I'm not quite sure what we will do now as there's over 20 of us booked already.

As for your comments rugrats.... uncalled for. I thought i'd get a little more sympathy for the situation having posted under FAMILY CRUISING but I guess the trolls are everywhere!

As this is the ONE and ONLY activity I can see an 18 month old toddler enjoying on a cruiseship, yes IT IS A MAJOR CONCERN. As for spending the entire day at the pool with a toddler, perhaps you're that sort of irresponsible parent but my daughter sure isn't. I never did insinuate that this would be THEIR ONLY activity but would surely be my granddaughter's only likable activity!

Well, I have raised a few children sucessfully to adulthood, so something was done correctly. I can see you are very upset about this and totally misconstrued my comments.

If it's a major concern, use your energy to fix it, not insult others. Besides playing in a pool, I think most 18 month olds enjoy going for walks up and down stairs, being pushed through hallways in a stroller, pushing elevator buttons, playing with toys, coloring, reading books, visiting with the crew, who will love her, etc.

If you can't do without an pool, cancel the cruise and rebook on a more family friendly line. I have posted a link to a blog that names the ships that provide a toddler water play area.

Or bring an inflatable pool and use it. Just because one poster here was told over the phone they couldn't doesn't mean you can't. Simply set it up on your balcony or in a quiet area. There are solutions to every problem, but name calling isn't one of them.

PEM... you are so right about the money my daughter has spent. My grandaugther paid the same as what I paid for this cruise as my daughter originally booked a suite and it was less expensive to book Emma with me in my full aft balcony room! Unreal.

My daughter did ask many questions but as she is getting married on this cruise, her primary concern was with the wedding and not whether or not there would be a kid's pool. As far as i'm concerned, this is the TA's responsibility to know these things. Basically, from Tank's post above, this ship is obviously not "young kids" friendly and IMHO, my TA should have known this.

Danielle

Rugrats,

Don't recall "name calling" only replied to your condenscending post.

And yes, I am quite upset that such a large ship would not even have a 20 x 20 area with a small kids pool.

I appreciate your suggestions and as i'm still quite in shock over this, the shock will subside and we will find a solution.

Rugrats... also thanks for the article you posted in the roll call thread.

Danielle

thanks for all your posts!

OP--I can't see that rugrats said anything wrong, I think just giving information--for sure not a troll.

But anyway, others know more about this than me, but there are lines with little pool areas for non-potty trained kids--such as RCI Freedom and Oasis class. Also, Oasis class ships will have nursery areas for babies. Maybe this would be a better option??

My bad... forgot about the troll comment. My experience with posting questions on Trip Advisor and now here on CC (as this is my FIRST thread post) have not been good ones. Either I get ignored or I get slammed. I guess i'm on the defensive...

MY APOLOGIES to Rugrat!

We were booked with a larger group. Not a wedding group though, a large group of family & friends.

My parents and thier friends are still taking the Crown Princess in Jan. that we cancelled.

No small kids in that group now, they're all 60+.

My wife & I are taking Disney w/ our son and our friends and their 8 & 11 yr. old. kids the same week.

BTW, we were researching, and not trusting what the TA said we called Princess directly, and they made our minds up for us.

The pool is not a big deal, we knew he couldn't use it. But being told their line wasn't recommended for us since we had a baby is what made me cancel.

I do give them credit for being honest.

I'd rather spend the extra money to take Disney.

Not much else an 18 month old can do on a ship!!!

Not much else an 18 month old can do on a ship!!!

In truth, there's as much on a ship for an 18 month old to do as there is on land for an 18 month old to do, except play on the grass. At that age they are pretty dependent on others for entertainment, and if you and your daughter and others in the party spend time with your granddaughter, she'll still have a good time. Coloring, playing with plastic dishes, her favorite toys... being surrounded by people who love her will be the most enjoyable part for her.

My bad... forgot about the troll comment. My experience with posting questions on Trip Advisor and now here on CC (as this is my FIRST thread post) have not been good ones. Either I get ignored or I get slammed. I guess i'm on the defensive...

MY APOLOGIES to Rugrat!

In general most people on this site are extremely helpful. Because you can't hear tones and inflections like you can when you are speaking face to face, this can lead to misunderstandings. Just remember when reading a post that 99% of the people here do want to help you, and may not know that their words aren't having the same meaning to you as they intended. As to the other 1% well...

I'm sorry CSoul - yes your TA should have told that to your daughter. It's a shame that she wasn't warned in advanced. :(

The only ships that have infant splash areas are:

Royal Caribbean

Freedom of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas

Independence of the Seas

Oasis of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Disney Cruise Line

Wonder

Magic

I am shocked that Tank got a negative response from Princess regarding bringing a blow up pool. You would think they would want this kind of thing onboard as an option for parents.

Usually we recomend that as an option for parents of infants.

I wish you the best. Let us know what happens. :)

My daughter is getting married on the Crown Princess on Feb. 1 and will be bringing along her daughter who will be 18 months old when we cruise.

I've been reading some posts that mention that no diapers are allowed in Princess pools. Does this include the diapers that are made for toddlers to wear in pools????

I doubt she'll be potty trained by then!! My daughter is getting worried....

Anyone able to provide information would be greatly appreciated!

Danielle

As previous posters have mentioned, non-potty trained children are not allowed in any of the pools on any Princess cruise (though there are some ships that do have toddler pools now, they are still few and far between).

But to relieve your concerns, my STILL non-potty trained almost-4-year old :( just took her 5th Princess cruise and she loves the "big boat" more than any kid resort or Disneyland. You absolutely CAN bring a blow up pool (which is much more fun for a toddler anyway as in the big pool where all they can do is hang onto the side - there is no pool area shallow enough for them to stand anyway). Also, it's not the only thing for a toddler to do - you or a parent can bring them to the kids play area. I haven't been on the Crown, but every Princess ship we've been on has a fantastic play area with tons of toys, plus an outside area with a slide and big wheels, playhouse, etc.

We use the pools when we go ashore - always either going to a resort on our own or as part of a shore excursion to a resort that has a kids pool.

Again, in 5 Princess cruises, my toddlers haven't used the pools on board and we keep going back for more. Even when they are both potty trained, I don't want to spend our time at the pool - sea days fly by as it is.

Have a great trip!

Best,

Mia

I am sure you will still have a great time CSOUL, we went on a cruise earlier this year to Norway so obviously not a cruise where my dd could swim anyway as there were no indoor pools but we still managed to entertain her and with there being so many of you it will be fine.

I am sorry I missed the point but was just giving my opinion which is obviously not wanted. I find the tone on many of these boards quite nasty and condesending and dont think I will be checking in on this website again. Everyone is entitiled to their say what ever that may be!

I am surprised to hear Princess say that their lines aren't appropriate for kids/babies. My son has been on 2 princess cruises and is about to go on his 3rd (Emerald on Nov 30th). We were lucky in that both the Star and the Grand had pools for non-potty trained kids (they were small, but definitely adequate), but we didn't use them a lot. We were so busy exploring the ship, playing with toys, eating, eating and eating, that we only spent about an hour each sea day. And then when we were on shore, we hit the beach!

Anyway, I would highly recommend Princess for kids...:)

Thanks again for all your posts. I was just confirmed by my TA that there is no non-potty trained pool and blow-ups aren't permitted on our Crown Princess ship. The lady at Princess did say that these are their policies, however, she doesn't believe anything would be said/done if we did set up a blow-up pool in a non-populated area. My TA was SHOCKED when I told her about all this so I sent her Rugrat's article :p She thanked me for bringing this up to her as she had NO CLUE these policies even existed on any ships (this is an experienced Expedia cruise agent who has cruised several times herself). BTW our TA has been just GREAT coordinating the entire booking of about 21 of us. It's unfortunate about Tank's experience and I suppose she/he just got unlucky when making his call to Princess. If it wasn't for the wedding and everyone implicated, we might have considered another ship.

I am relieved to hear all your latest comments and afterall, there will be plenty of beaches for Emma to dip her toes in ;)

The kids' area will surely be a hit with my sister's kids as well as Emma! :D We only have a total of two full days at sea so i'm sure, as someone pointed out, there will be plenty of us to keep the little one entertained!

Danielle <------- so relieved!!!!!!! whew

Again, thanks for all your comments and concerns.

Thanks again for all your posts. I was just confirmed by my TA that there is no non-potty trained pool and blow-ups aren't permitted on our Crown Princess ship. The lady at Princess did say that these are their policies, however, she doesn't believe anything would be said/done if we did set up a blow-up pool in a non-populated area. My TA was SHOCKED when I told her about all this so I sent her Rugrat's article :p She thanked me for bringing this up to her as she had NO CLUE these policies even existed on any ships (this is an experienced Expedia cruise agent who has cruised several times herself). BTW our TA has been just GREAT coordinating the entire booking of about 21 of us. It's unfortunate about Tank's experience and I suppose she/he just got unlucky when making his call to Princess. If it wasn't for the wedding and everyone implicated, we might have considered another ship.

I am relieved to hear all your latest comments and afterall, there will be plenty of beaches for Emma to dip her toes in ;)

The kids' area will surely be a hit with my sister's kids as well as Emma! :D We only have a total of two full days at sea so i'm sure, as someone pointed out, there will be plenty of us to keep the little one entertained!

Danielle <------- so relieved!!!!!!! whew

Again, thanks for all your comments and concerns.

Archived