Is it difficult to book reservations and excursions oboard?

alina555

This is our first cruise, so I didn't realize that you have to book excursions and make specialty restaurant reservations 10 days prior. Is it difficult to book these things once you are onboard? We are going on the JOS Panama Canal cruise. I was planning on doing some excursions using non-ship guides but the Panama Canal one I think you have to book directly with the ship.

This is our first cruise, so I didn't realize that you have to book excursions and make specialty restaurant reservations 10 days prior. Is it difficult to book these things once you are onboard? We are going on the JOS Panama Canal cruise. I was planning on doing some excursions using non-ship guides but the Panama Canal one I think you have to book directly with the ship.

To book another cruise you usually need an appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador. The earlier you book it the easier it is. Many people wait until the last minute and then there are no appointments available.

Excursions are booked at the "Excursion Desk" and there are usually lines of people waiting on the first day. Watch the daily compass for times the desk is open.

Jewel is a beautiful ship. Enjoy every minute :)

The best time to book a specialty restaurant is as soon as you know when you want it. If you know your day and time, IMHO, the best time to book is as soon after you board as possible.

Hi,

They always hold back a percentage of excursions to be reserved on board. That applies to tours and specialty restuarants.

For the restaurants I would suggest that you go shortly after boarding to get the day and sitting you'd like because they can be filled quite quickly.

RCI makes it very easy to book excursions, but that is not surprising since their own excursions generate a nice profit. Keep in mind that its relatively easy to explore a lot of places on your own.. or book private tours on-line....so it can be a good thing to do some port research. However, if you do want to book the ship's excursions, as long as they are not sold-out its simple and you do not need to wait in any lines. On most (if not all) RCI ships you can actually use the interactive menu on your cabin TV to book excursions. Another option is to simply fill out the excursion forms (there is always a pile near the tour desk) and drop it in the reservations box at the tour desk (they send the tickets to your cabin and charge your on-board account). Of course for those who enjoy standing in lines, its always possible to wait for your turn at the shore excursion desk where you can talk to a so-called expert. However, keep in mind that the excursion "experts" are only there to promote their tours, so do not expect much help if you want to "do your own thing."

Hank

Yes, you are correct that if you want to get off the ship in the Panama Canal you must book through the cruiseline. They do hold back slots for booking onboard the ship, but if you have a particular tour you want, especially in Panama, then go early the day you board to book excursions.

RCI makes it very easy to book excursions, but that is not surprising since their own excursions generate a nice profit. Keep in mind that its relatively easy to explore a lot of places on your own.. or book private tours on-line....so it can be a good thing to do some port research. However, if you do want to book the ship's excursions, as long as they are not sold-out its simple and you do not need to wait in any lines. On most (if not all) RCI ships you can actually use the interactive menu on your cabin TV to book excursions. Another option is to simply fill out the excursion forms (there is always a pile near the tour desk) and drop it in the reservations box at the tour desk (they send the tickets to your cabin and charge your on-board account). Of course for those who enjoy standing in lines, its always possible to wait for your turn at the shore excursion desk where you can talk to a so-called expert. However, keep in mind that the excursion "experts" are only there to promote their tours, so do not expect much help if you want to "do your own thing."

Hank

I have read that when booking online on the RCI website, your fees show up right away on your credit card instead of being on your onboard account. Since my DW is fluent in Spanish and I have a good command of it, we intend to just walk around during our Panama Cruise because communication won't be a problem. And if we do decide on an excursion , we will simply book it onboard.

The excursions in Panama are extremely long. You could stay on the ship--you will be passing through the locks with a navigator explaining the operation, history, etc... Saves a bit of $$$ and since many of the passengers will get off the ship, there are few crowds--it's a very pleasant day onboard!

I have read that when booking online on the RCI website, your fees show up right away on your credit card instead of being on your onboard account. Since my DW is fluent in Spanish and I have a good command of it, we intend to just walk around during our Panama Cruise because communication won't be a problem. And if we do decide on an excursion , we will simply book it onboard.

You are correct. If you book a tour online through the website you will be charged for that tour straight away. Only when you book onboard will it appear on your onboard account.

Thanks for all the info! I was planning on primarily doing private tours, but so far I've learned that foreign tour operators aren't very good at responding to email inquiries. :) If they don't email me back, my only other option will be the ship excursions (although we may try to wing a couple on our own and try to snag a deal at the port).

cb at sea, thanks for the info - I thought it was going to be necessary to do a ship excursion to see the canal, but it sounds like staying on the boat might be a better idea!

Thanks for all the info! I was planning on primarily doing private tours, but so far I've learned that foreign tour operators aren't very good at responding to email inquiries. :) If they don't email me back, my only other option will be the ship excursions (although we may try to wing a couple on our own and try to snag a deal at the port).

cb at sea, thanks for the info - I thought it was going to be necessary to do a ship excursion to see the canal, but it sounds like staying on the boat might be a better idea!

I got off the ship and it was wonderful to see the beautiful countryside. We took a tour that went to the locks themselves and got to see ship transiting up close and it wouldn't have been possible if we stayed on the ship. We love seeing the countries.

Archived