london to southampton

I am a single sailor... looking for a moderatly priced way to get from London, to the cruise port in Southampton, and then back to Heathrow after the cruise.. Hoping someone out there has a suggestion. My cruise line had a transfer, but it seems awfully expensive...

We were on the Independence of the Seas this summer and found our transfers through a website called London ToolKit (not sure I can write out the website name, but just add a "www" and run the name I gave together and you should find it). This site provided links for tours, transfers, and cheap lodging. We found a transfer from London as well as someone to meet us when we arrived back in Southampton. he arranged a tour of Stonehedge and Windsor Castle for us before delivering us to Gatwick.

Rates were reasonable.

Enjoy your trip!

Coach service from London to Southampton Cruise Terminal with National Express currently runs 6 times a day and is around £30 return. Haven't looked at the train services but will probably cost more unless you can get a ticket in advance from one of the ticket agencies. That may be a problem from an overseas address. Currently the service doesn't go Heathrow to Southampton, so you'd need to get a train in from LHR to central London. Big coach terminus near Victoria Station.

We did London to Dover last year. We took a train, it was very easy and the train had a compartment where you could park your baggage. I am sure you could take a train to Southhamption also and for less than hiring a car. You could also take a coach. (we call coaches buses here in the USA) We were told about a coach with was considerably less, but we liked the idea of taking the train. We loved the train ride. The scenary of the countryside, the uniformed school children that we saw who took the train to get to their schools, etc. We felt as though our transportation was an excursion.

If you go over to the British Isles board, look for a poster who calls himself "Globalizer". He is from Britian and he is very knowlegeable. He helped us out tremendously before our trip last year.

We are familiar with RCCL wich had been charging $75 pp for the transfer. Taking everything into consideration, $75 is an OK price. They personaly meet you at the airport, take all your bags, then drop you off right at the ship.

Anything you do on your own is going to involve hauling your own bags, finding where the bus or train is located, an then doing the same all over again on the other end.

Europe is just expensive (when compared to the US). You are probbly spending $3,000 + for your whole trip (air, cruise, tours, food, souveniers). Make it easy on yourself and spend the $75 (each way) on the ship provided transfer. Even if you can do it for $50 (each way) on your own, it's just not worth the hassle and the possible disaster if you make a mistake.

Coach service from London to Southampton Cruise Terminal with National Express currently runs 6 times a day and is around £30 return. Haven't looked at the train services but will probably cost more unless you can get a ticket in advance from one of the ticket agencies. That may be a problem from an overseas address. Currently the service doesn't go Heathrow to Southampton, so you'd need to get a train in from LHR to central London. Big coach terminus near Victoria Station.

Our train ride was equal to about $100-125 US per person to Dover, but that was still a bargain compared to hiring a car.

We are familiar with RCCL wich had been charging $75 pp for the transfer. Taking everything into consideration, $75 is an OK price. They personaly meet you at the airport, take all your bags, then drop you off right at the ship.

Anything you do on your own is going to involve hauling your own bags, finding where the bus or train is located, an then doing the same all over again on the other end.

Europe is just expensive (when compared to the US). You are probbly spending $3,000 + for your whole trip (air, cruise, tours, food, souveniers). Make it easy on yourself and spend the $75 (each way) on the ship provided transfer. Even if you can do it for $50 (each way) on your own, it's just not worth the hassle and the possible disaster if you make a mistake.

They could be spending a few days in London prior to their cruise. We did, which is why we did not use the cruiseline transfer. Most people would not want to fly to Europe form the USA and risk flight delays to board their cruiseship the day they arrive. NO WAY would I have done that.

In fact we met a couple in the terminal before we boarded our flight, who were taking a cruise on a Regent ship and they feared they were cutting it too close as our plane would arrive in London 10 am and their ship was leaving 4 pm from Dover.

I was so glad we had planned a couple of days in London and I could not help but wonder why they had not taken a plane in the day before. After all, Regent is a nice line, so surely they were not trying to save money, also they flew business class and we were in coach. LOL!

It is much easier to take the National Express bus/coach to/from Heathrow than trying to take a train to Southampton. The bus leaves FROM the airport. The train leaves from Victoria Station IN LONDON, so first you have to get to London.

Direct from the Heathrow bus station to the bus station in Southampton. $10.00 taxi ride to the cruise ship terminal. About $25.00 one way. 1 hour 50 minute trip and the bus driver puts your luggage away under the bus.

National Express also has an option to take the bus TO the cruise ship terminal. HOWEVER, you have to take TWO buses to get there-into London, then another stop in London and change buses, then to the cruise ship terminal. One hour wait in London, generally only one trip per day, and the trip takes almost 4 hours. Unless you just want a bus ride, DON'T do it. If you are already in London proper (not the airport), you can board the bus direct to the cruise ship terminal at the Victoria Coach Station. BUT there is only one bus per day to the cruise terminal. Arrives at 3:30PM.

Take the nonstop to/from Heathrow. Leaves almost every hour. By far the easiest, cheapest way to get to/from Southampton.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

Pick HEATHROW and SOUTHAMPTON from the menu for the trip.

I think this is really sound advice and the price sounds really reasonable and hassle free.

I am a single sailor... looking for a moderatly priced way to get from London, to the cruise port in Southampton, and then back to Heathrow after the cruise.. Hoping someone out there has a suggestion. My cruise line had a transfer, but it seems awfully expensive...

Hi, there are two ways

1)to get the train to Southampton Central Station and hop in a taxi to the port. So only buy a single train journey.

2)cheapest is to prebook a coach/bus via Megabus.com then taxi to the port example fares:

08:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 10:15 1 seat = £6.00

11:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 13:15 1 seat = £6.00

13:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 15:15 1 seat = £6.00

16:00 Depart London, Victoria Coach StationArrive Southampton, Town Quay, High Street 18:25 1 seat = £4.00

21:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 23:18 1 seat = £6.00

Your return journey could be via coach/bus directly to Heathrow, again at Southampton port there are loads of taxis waiting and the bus station is maximum 10mins taxi ride.

Pj

If its only 75.00 that is not a problem. The issue is, I will be in London first, so in order to take the ships transfer, I would have to go back to the airport first, which would be at minimum another 50.00 dollars, if not more. Was wondering about the coach... In the states, I am reluctant to take buses.. They just arent very nice, the passengers are sometimes downright scary. .. But what are they like in the UK?

Hi, there are two ways

1)to get the train to Southampton Central Station and hop in a taxi to the port. So only buy a single train journey.

2)cheapest is to prebook a coach/bus via Megabus.com then taxi to the port example fares:

08:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 10:15 1 seat = £6.00

11:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 13:15 1 seat = £6.00

13:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 15:15 1 seat = £6.00

16:00 Depart London, Victoria Coach StationArrive Southampton, Town Quay, High Street 18:25 1 seat = £4.00

21:39 Depart London Waterloo Arrive Southampton Central 23:18 1 seat = £6.00

Your return journey could be via coach/bus directly to Heathrow, again at Southampton port there are loads of taxis waiting and the bus station is maximum 10mins taxi ride.

Pj

Thanks PJ, How are the bus rides...??? Are they safe and pleasant?

If its only 75.00 that is not a problem. The issue is, I will be in London first, so in order to take the ships transfer, I would have to go back to the airport first, which would be at minimum another 50.00 dollars, if not more. Was wondering about the coach... In the states, I am reluctant to take buses.. They just arent very nice, the passengers are sometimes downright scary. .. But what are they like in the UK?

No the middle class uses public transportation in England and in England it is very good, not like here in the US. In England you do not necesarily have to have a car.

That is why we are "over a barrel" here when gas prices go sky high. Yes they are higher in England, but in England there is an alternative-we don't have an alternative here.

We took the Megatrain from Waterloo last year, and I think we paid something like 8 pounds, at the time about $16 for two people. The train is very nice, safe comfortable. Tickets go on sale about 45 days prior to the date. I would definitely do the train again in a heart beat. As far as getting back to Heathrow, I would definitely do the National Express Coaches. I have talked to others that used them and they are nice too. The Megatrain Megabus is simply a steal.

jc

thanks to all for the info.. Looks like both train and bus are good options.. Will probably do the train from London.. might be just a bit more convenient.... does anyone know which station i would pick it up at? I would like to find a room nearby if possible...

thanks to all for the info.. Looks like both train and bus are good options.. Will probably do the train from London.. might be just a bit more convenient.... does anyone know which station i would pick it up at? I would like to find a room nearby if possible...

If you go to the Mega site it quotes for trains and buses to Southampton, see my previous post. Trains depart London Waterloo and buses London Victoria.

Pj

As someone who lives near Southampton I would advise National Express coach to/from Heathrow and train to/from Gatwick.

If you are part of a large party or want to visit somewhere en-route then my advice would be different.

The coach fare can be booked on-line, using a US credit card I think, and uses an eticket which you print yourself. Note that there are price reductions for anyone over 50 years of age, click the option if it applies. The trip takes less than 2 hours and terminates at the coach station (next to the railway station) and is about 1 mile from the Mayflower and City terminals and a little further from the QEII terminal. There are taxis easily available from both railway and coach stations.

The coach ticket includes a seat reservation for the time you have selected. Please allow sufficient time to go through immigration and customs and then to the central bus station to catch your coach. However, I've not had a problem getting a seat on one for which I've not had a reservation, although that cannot be guaranteed.

Both Heathrow and Gatwick airport are well outside the city of London and you will be travelling away from Southampton if you go via London. Taking into account the additional travel and transfer time you will normally find the direct journey is the fastest.

Although I find the flexibility and speed of the train more pleasant in most circumstances, the coach will certainly the best way of travelling from Heathrow to Southamton for your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got home yesterday from our transatlantic cruise on the Independence. I booked on the internet for the MegaBus (train) from Waterloo to Southampton on the 8:39 a.m.and it was 2 pounds for my wife and I. I noticed the previous quote of 6 but I think I was discounted as a senior. We stayed at Trafalgar (Hilton) so it was just a 5 minute cab ride to the station. As I was waiting near the platform for departure a train came in so I asked an employee between the two platforms if the one train was ours to Southhampton. He pointed to a train on the other track and said it will soon be leaving. We boarded, were directed to a handicapped seat so we could place all our luggage in front of us and we were off. Only problem was that we boarded the "express" whereas the Mega must be a "local". The conductor checked our voucher when we were half way to Southampton and informed us that we were on the wrong train but made a note on our voucher that we were directed to this train by mistake. Anyway, we were not charged the 60 pound rate for the express and arrived in Southampton for 2 pounds. Quite a bargain on a very comfortable and scenic trip.

Europe is just expensive (when compared to the US). You are probbly spending $3,000 + for your whole trip (air, cruise, tours, food, souveniers).

Kia ora,

I presume this is pp. In any currency $3000 seems incredibly cheap! You certainly have an advantage with it only being a short flight to get there. We would expect to spend about 3 times this and are looking at keeping costs down by using the bus to London, when we dock in Southampton from Crown Princess next June. At this stage we are still looking at accommodation in London before we fly home via Hong Kong.

Aquarians icon7.gificon7.gif

As your post wasn't really that clear, are you travelling

from LONDON DOWNTOWN,

from LONDON GATWICK AIRPORT

or from LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT?

In which case the best options are;

LONDON DOWNTOWN; train; from LONDON WATERLOO train station to SOUTHAMPTON CENTRAL, 70-90 minutes. Buy tickets at the station, no need to book in advance, trains run every 20 mins or so. You can buy a return ticket for not much more than a single. Discount advance tickets available from http://megarail.com/ for some departures.

LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT; coach from the Heathrow central coach station, approx 90-120 minutes. Coaches leave every hour; advised to book your coach in advance.

LONDON GATWICK AIRPORT; train. Direct service to SOUTHAMPTON CENTRAL every hour (once/hour) and takes about 2 hours, from the LONDON GATWICK TRAIN station (elevator down from south terminal). Buy your ticket at the station.

Train Info: http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Coach Info: http://nationalexpress.com/

Archived