NCL Less expensive

Luke gs Daddy

One thing to keep in mind, it isn't only the itinerary but the class of ship. Normally there isn't as much difference in prices if you match class for class, but this depends. We have twice opt for Celebrity because of a less expensive price than NCL. Earlier this year we did Princess, same reason, the rate was lower than NCLs. Of course it was the Mex riv and NCL had one extra day. Still there seems to be on rhyme or reason unless one ship is much older than the other or something. For us the two lines that are most alike are Princess and NCL.

got your answer: big difference in the two ships: the Dawn is 4 years older and carries 800 less passengers. these are the types of things many don't think about...Does that make one more desirable? No, but it does explain the difference in price

I'm not so sure about this answer Nita, although b4 I get into this I must tell you I am a big fan of yours.

Your replies are almost always on the mark.

I have also found big price differences for similar dates/ same class of ship (that's tough to compare), same cabin catagory, similar itinerary.

My most recent example- which I have been writing about recently is my next cruise on the GEM in Aug. 2009.-Western Med

We bought our airfare for Barcelona, Spain early to get good price but more importantly to get 2 free frequent flyers.

So now I'm in Barcelona from 8/21-31 and my choices are basically NCL GEM, RCI Voyager and Costa Concordia. MSC has a new ship as well but the cabins didn't fit our family well.

Now- I'm not sure how you compare class of ship but NCL GEM is Jewel class and NCL's newest class. Voyager is bigger than GEM (133grt to 93 grt) but the ship is about 8 years older- I'd still say class is similar. And Concordia is among Costa's newest ship.

I compared getting 2 cabins (1 balcony and 1 inside) for my family of 4 or JR/Mini Suite catagory for 4.We chose Mini-Suite for 4.

Difference in price approximately $2000.00 less on NCL. (than RCI or Costa)

You may do the comparison yourself. Even today -although I booked about 2 months ago.

Go to your favorite on-line website and run the comparison yourself.

Now , although everybody has their own opinion about which cruiseline they like best, I bought 3 different 2009 cruisebooks (Berlitz,Fodor European Cruises and Frommers European CRuises) The star ratings or numbers rating were very similar (1 book had NCL-GEM rated higher than the other 2).

I don't know or care why NCL Gem was $2000+ less but that was my #1 reason for booking her. That money can go along way for our first trip to Europe. Private tours can be expensive.

Your thoughts on this?

Hi Steve,

There are exceptions to every rule and not always do they make sense. One time we choose Celebrity for price, it was between the Sun and the Connie, of course the Connie was, probably a better ship, but the cabins were identical and the age etc the same. The difference, one went out of San Juan, the other Miami. Of course this made a price difference. Still the Connie was a better bet...Again, one of those things and I think we should always compare price but research the differences. If there appears to be no reason grab the best deal. As for Costa, they always seem to be a little higher except when they run good specials which isn't often...Why, I have no idea, I personnally prefer other lines, but that is me.

Nita

ps everything about Europe can be expensive, but it is better now than a year ago. LOL

Hi Steve,

There are exceptions to every rule and not always do they make sense. One time we choose Celebrity for price, it was between the Sun and the Connie, of course the Connie was, probably a better ship, but the cabins were identical and the age etc the same. The difference, one went out of San Juan, the other Miami. Of course this made a price difference. Still the Connie was a better bet...Again, one of those things and I think we should always compare price but research the differences. If there appears to be no reason grab the best deal. As for Costa, they always seem to be a little higher except when they run good specials which isn't often...Why, I have no idea, I personnally prefer other lines, but that is me.

Nita

ps everything about Europe can be expensive, but it is better now than a year ago. LOL

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I was surprised by the price difference.

If prices were silmilar, maybe just a few hundred dollars for the total price, I might have tried chosen Voyager if only because I have not cruised RCI yet and I hear mostly good things.

But $2000.00+ differnece made it a no brainer. (actually if I include OBC it's closer to $2500.00 less).

And Yes, you are right-Europe is expensive. That's why I booked the airfare first (got 2 FF) and paid full price for the other 2. I will use the savings for private tours in Naples, Rome and Florence. Members of CC have been very helpful in getting me the names and numbers of Private Tour companies. If you have had a good experience with a tour company in those cities-please let me know.

As usual, I always appreciate your replies.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I was surprised by the price difference.

If prices were silmilar, maybe just a few hundred dollars for the total price, I might have tried chosen Voyager if only because I have not cruised RCI yet and I hear mostly good things.

But $2000.00+ differnece made it a no brainer. (actually if I include OBC it's closer to $2500.00 less).

And Yes, you are right-Europe is expensive. That's why I booked the airfare first (got 2 FF) and paid full price for the other 2. I will use the savings for private tours in Naples, Rome and Florence. Members of CC have been very helpful in getting me the names and numbers of Private Tour companies. If you have had a good experience with a tour company in those cities-please let me know.

As usual, I always appreciate your replies.

unfortunately I haven't cruised the meditarian, we have done the No Atlantic crossing plus a few others outside the caribbean but not the meditarian. I would suggest going to the roll call section..Always lots of good ideas by fellow cruisers or start with the ports a call...

Nita

unfortunately I haven't cruised the meditarian, we have done the No Atlantic crossing plus a few others outside the caribbean but not the meditarian. I would suggest going to the roll call section..Always lots of good ideas by fellow cruisers or start with the ports a call...

Nita

A Good Suggestion.

I will do that.

Thank you.

no, some of us are more open minded and see both bad and good. I have yet to find a cruise line I would not sail again. Yes, I have my preferences but am always open to trying new things and keeping a positive attitude..When I have had an experience on a ship and there have been a few, I try to let everyone know, it is my experience or opinion only plus after I state my case, I get on with my life. I don't continue to try and build myself up by putting others down....

NIta

Actually, Nita, Balcony Bum is a narcissistic troll which is defined in this context as " posting derogatory messages about sensitive subjects on newsgroups and chat rooms to bait users into responding." The fact that she posts alot, and tries to defend herself from being called a troll, is just more trolling by her. She knows it is not about her one-sided opinions, but rather her perverse pleasure in baiting others to criticize her so she remains in the "news." It's the criticism of others that sustains her. She doesn't care about the content of what she says or the content of the responses to her--just as long as there are responses to feed her narcissism ( self-absorption, an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and a need for attention and/or admiration from others).

Actually, Nita, Balcony Bum is a narcissistic troll which is defined in this context as " posting derogatory messages about sensitive subjects on newsgroups and chat rooms to bait users into responding." The fact that she posts alot, and tries to defend herself from being called a troll, is just more trolling by her. She knows it is not about her one-sided opinions, but rather her perverse pleasure in baiting others to criticize her so she remains in the "news." It's the criticism of others that sustains her. She doesn't care about the content of what she says or the content of the responses to her--just as long as there are responses to feed her narcissism ( self-absorption, an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and a need for attention and/or admiration from others).

so I guess we should all ignore her??? I want to but I get a little defensive and I was offended with one post she made a few months ago. No, not personally insulted but her language turned my stomach and I am not a goody too shoes, by any means, maybe an old lady, but never a sweet little thing. LOL

so I guess we should all ignore her??? I want to but I get a little defensive and I was offended with one post she made a few months ago. No, not personally insulted but her language turned my stomach and I am not a goody too shoes, by any means, maybe an old lady, but never a sweet little thing. LOL

Maybe if everyone ignores her, she will go away. People who post/talk like that get off on people's reactions, and if there are no reactions they don't get any satisfaction out of it. I too have been offended by many of her posts and even went as far as typing a response (several times), but decided it wasn't worth it and deleted the replies rather than post them.

so I guess we should all ignore her??? I want to but I get a little defensive and I was offended with one post she made a few months ago.

Oh, I just feel so much relief! I have been wanting to say this - YES YES YES!. Exactly. Just like with a bad dog or a naughty toddler, negative attention is better than no attention at all - they will keep on til they are ignored. If you truely believe that, and want them to go away then ignore them. Getting everyone so worked up is exactly what they are after.

(Not saying I agree about the person being discussed - just saying.)

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Who said or wrote that paying $2000.00 less on NCL is bugging me?

And I certainly never said that NCL (my preferred cruiseline) was a "low-class line"

And who said or wrote that that I want anything? Especially from you!

When I book a cruise, or right after I get back from a cruise I generally go to CC and read the boards. I look at all the threads and sometimes reply to the threads that are of interest to me.

This thread said "NCL less expensive". It interested me because I just finished researching the ships that cruised out of Barcelona and noticed a HUGE difference in price between the cruise lines/ships.

I shared my experience in booking the cruise lines and you took exception to one of my comparisons concerning "class" and proceeded to show that the three ships are different in size.

Well EXCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCuse me!!!

So they are not exactly the same size! My only point was that NCL was "Less Expensive" as the thread topic suggested.

And just to give a few FACTS I stated that most cruise books rated these 3 lines (NCL,Costa and RCI) in the same class of cruiselines (mainstream), that their food/service ratings are similar and they all did 7 night Western Med. cruises from Barcelona during the same week. You could have also been NASTY and did alittle research and pointed out that although Voyager and GEM went out exactly the same day, Costa's ship went out 2 days earlier and "OH MY GOD" returned 2 days earlier. HOW DARE I COMPARE UNDER THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES!

I close by saying to Cruzin....."RELAX, and enjoy the readings" It's a great way to learn, share and discuss opinions.

whatever.... rant on

funny how we can give our opinion - never said you 'said' anything - gave my opinion, but yeah, alright.

I get up on the right side of the bed everyday. You commented on the huge difference in price, I gave my opinion. Pardon me - take your own advice: RELAX, and enjoy the readings" It's a great way to learn, share and discuss opinions

NO I said the NCL STAR SUCKS and because of that, I would not prefer to ever take NCL again. Deal with it. Go find my Princess thread about the details of the disgusting snot and or semen on our bed skirt, our filthy coffee pot, cold food, horrible rude and snotty service, filthy balcony. Have a ball!

Actually, I've always thought the cruise lines (all of them) should do away with the bed skirts as I have done in my own home. They do nothing but collect dirt, dust, food and drink spills etc.

I should confess that I greatly enjoyed our Pearl cruise last year. In fact, we've cruised on NCL, RCI and Carnival (our second cruise on Carnival coming up in a couple of weeks) and NCL is our very favorite cruise line. I have no issues with NCL. However, I dare say that I may be much like balconybumz insofar that I absolutely DESPISE a particular cruise line- RCI. We only had one cruise with them, but it was a bad experience. It was truly bad. I won't go into deep details but suffice it to say that the food was inedible or frankly, not available. The staff was rude and unhelpful. The kids club staff allowed our 7 y/o to check himself out and wander the ship alone (we spotted him going up in a glass elevator and chased him down).

We have never since even considered another RCI cruise, even though they may have an itinerary or pricing we find intriguing. Are we as bad as balconybumz? Also, take note that I don't post on the RCI board the kind of stuff that BB posts here. Are we THAT bad and do you think we should give RCI another try or write them off forever?

We have never since even considered another RCI cruise, even though they may have an itinerary or pricing we find intriguing. Are we as bad as balconybumz? Also, take note that I don't post on the RCI board the kind of stuff that BB posts here. Are we THAT bad and do you think we should give RCI another try or write them off forever?

It may depend on what ship and time of year you went. It may also depend if it was recently as we've noticed a number of petty-type things which could only be attributed to belt tightening and skimping on the part of the cruiseline in response to economic conditions (though giving us a lower price wasn't part of that).

We've only taken one cruise with RCI a few years ago on Voyager and enjoyed it immensely. Everything about it was exceptional (including the food) - especially the kids club - our daughter would be begging us to take her back whenever she wasn't there. On our two cruises since, she would not go to the kids club after the first meeting.

Howard

Actually, I've always thought the cruise lines (all of them) should do away with the bed skirts as I have done in my own home. They do nothing but collect dirt, dust, food and drink spills etc.

I should confess that I greatly enjoyed our Pearl cruise last year. In fact, we've cruised on NCL, RCI and Carnival (our second cruise on Carnival coming up in a couple of weeks) and NCL is our very favorite cruise line. I have no issues with NCL. However, I dare say that I may be much like balconybumz insofar that I absolutely DESPISE a particular cruise line- RCI. We only had one cruise with them, but it was a bad experience. It was truly bad. I won't go into deep details but suffice it to say that the food was inedible or frankly, not available. The staff was rude and unhelpful. The kids club staff allowed our 7 y/o to check himself out and wander the ship alone (we spotted him going up in a glass elevator and chased him down).

the cruise she was on didn't have bed skirts...Just an FYI...well let's put it this way, if they did she had one of the few cabins with bed skirts..

With all the choices out there I don't think any of us have to give a cruise line a second shot..We have a few we do not like as well as our favorites, we would sail any of them again, but pretty much consentrate on a couple we are happy with. If we cruised 4 or 5 times a year, that would be one thing, but we usually only cruise twice a year.

I understand you do not like RCI, but do you go to their boards constantly to blast away?

NIta

the cruise she was on didn't have bed skirts...Just an FYI...well let's put it this way, if they did she had one of the few cabins with bed skirts..

With all the choices out there I don't think any of us have to give a cruise line a second shot..We have a few we do not like as well as our favorites, we would sail any of them again, but pretty much consentrate on a couple we are happy with. If we cruised 4 or 5 times a year, that would be one thing, but we usually only cruise twice a year.

I understand you do not like RCI, but do you go to their boards constantly to blast away?

NIta

No way. I just don't cruise on RCI. We're happy with NCL and Carnival so we'll just leave it at that.

Archived