NCL Less expensive

Luke gs Daddy

Can you give more information? What two ships are you comparing? Are you looking at the same sailing week? Same cabin category? Same port locations where the ships dock? NCL is currently having a sale on many sailings...ends this Friday.

coka

Is one reason I love NCL. The price is the other. We got 50% off our sailing to Canada and just got home from a great one. Some folks sailed for $249 each. Free upgrade to an AFT MINI from a BA AFT.

So now we wait til 2 weeks before the cruise to book & save major money. Drive to the port intead of air if we can to save more with a port city hotel stay to get free or discount parking.

I don't know why NCL is cheaper, but we found them to be very similar in what they offered. For us, there really wasn't much of a difference at all in the actual cruise. Prpincess was a little more formal; NCL had more speciality restaurnts. For that big a price difference, I'd grab it. We have done that twice now.

Why do you think NCL is less than Princess for a similar cruise ? We have reserved a Princess. We are thinking about switching to NCL. It is $ 1200.00 less. What is your opinion on the differences ?

Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind, it isn't only the itinerary but the class of ship. Normally there isn't as much difference in prices if you match class for class, but this depends. We have twice opt for Celebrity because of a less expensive price than NCL. Earlier this year we did Princess, same reason, the rate was lower than NCLs. Of course it was the Mex riv and NCL had one extra day. Still there seems to be on rhyme or reason unless one ship is much older than the other or something. For us the two lines that are most alike are Princess and NCL.

got your answer: big difference in the two ships: the Dawn is 4 years older and carries 800 less passengers. these are the types of things many don't think about...Does that make one more desirable? No, but it does explain the difference in price

Nita

We were booked on the Sapphire and switched to the Star. We saved $1300 for the three of us and got in on the NCL sale.

Our first 2 cruises were with Princess and we are eager to try NCL. Unfortunately we cruise after you so I can't help you with a comparison.

Price is not one of my major considerations when booking a cruise. Personnaly I prefer Princess over NCL, but for $1200 difference it may be time to give NCL a try.

We could not agree with you more. If someone always goes with the lowest pricee, but has a miserable time on the cruise or is always saying "Oh well they do this on such and such cruise line and NCL does not or visa versa", it isn't worth the savings of money because you have really wasted whatever you spent.

We have never sailed Princess, but we have sailed Royal Caribbean and I can tell you that, as Nita has found with Princess and NCL, we found Royal Caribbean and NCL more the same than different. The crews seem to have a little different attitude where as NCL's crew is a little more laid back, joking with you, etc, and RCCL's is a bit more formal. RCCL has the set dining times and NCL has the Freestyle, but they both are good cruiselines, each in their own way.

My thoughts are that if you book with the cruiseline that saves you the most money, and you go on the cruise with the attitude that you are not on cruiseline XYZ, you will have a good time. I have always tried to hold on to the belief that a cruise is what YOU make of it.

One last thing is, I have no proof, but I do believe NCL might be more expensive on some things like photos, drinks, etc,. But not so much so that you would make up a lot of the difference in the $1200.00 savings.

I can say that we paid more for our NCL trip then any cruise we have taken on Princess. I'll let you know what my experience is when we return. This will be our first NCL trip.

Are you comparing same accomodations, itinerary, time of year and so forth??? How about the size of the ship and ship ammentities. Most folks speak speak about how much less expensive NCL is than other mass market lines.

In our experience...NCL is less expensive when comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Having said that, we always dine in the surcharge restaruants so that makes up some of the money saved on the base cruise. Dining in surcharge restaurants only offers us a much more enjoyable dining experience, however, that dining in any of the main dining rooms on any cruise line.

Bottom line....we spend less on the base cruise fare for an NCL cruise but have an overall superior dining experience than dining in any main dining room.

coffeebean

Cappucino, latte & espesso is FREE on NCL, $4 a cup on other lines.

If you love vodka or prefer rum, then buy a liter bottle and make your own drinks savings HUNDREDS. Vodka martini is $10, make them onboard for $40 a liter or get cranberry juice at breakfast to bring down to your fridge, add vodka & lime to it & cosmo!

Many ports have FREE shuttles into DT from the port. On our Canada cruise that we just got home from Halifax had one that was free RT. Quebec has a free city bus called FRED that goes all around town for FREE. But some NL shuttles for $15 just get you to the city line from the ship. So a ride to the end of the port isn't good.

As far as Dawn over Princess' ship, I am not into shopping so missing St Marteen is great for us since the planes over the beach to the airport is the big deal on the island for us. SO I VOTE FOR DAWN with a great crew, great new beds, coffeemaker is staterooms, great restaurants that are 50% off PP on port days on many ships.

Aft Lover - I buy the little packet's of Wyler's Raspberry drink at Dollar Tree and mix it with water, ice a little lime and Vodka from my bar set up. I love it. It almost tastes like cranberry but so convenient.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It helps.

As for comparisons.

NCL Dawn vs Crown Princess

Both private islands

Both St. Thomas

Samana vs Turks an Caicos

Tortola vs St. Marteen

Same week in Feb. 09

Both Mini Suites

did you catch what I posted yesterday? You are talking about 2 different classes of ships even though they are sailing out of the same place, same date, similar itinerary. This is the main reason for the difference in price.

Nita

Recently I have seen several NCL fares in the neighborhood of $25 a day, for 4 nights out of Miami and even a seven nighter to the Caribbean for $35 a night. Do other lines offer fares comparable to that?

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It helps.

As for comparisons.

NCL Dawn vs Crown Princess

Both private islands

Both St. Thomas

Samana vs Turks an Caicos

Tortola vs St. Marteen

Same week in Feb. 09

Both Mini Suites

There is no question that the Crown Princess is more updated, and I think the food is better in the buffet, for example. I also like all the "nooks and crannies" that the CP offers (lots of smaller outdoor venues). Also the MUTS is a plus.

OTOH, I much prefer the NCL freestyle dining, and the Dawn is a perfect ship for this.

Having sailed the Dawn 4 times, and the Carib Princess (sister ship, though somewhat less updated than the Crown Princess), I would say I prefer the Princess except for the lack of really true freestyle dining. I would also say my tipping point would be about $300 - ie. it would take a $300 reduction to put me on the Dawn over the Princess (crown or carib). For the difference you are looking at, I'd take the Dawn in a heartbeat. You won't be disappointed with the Dawn, I can promise you that!

Ony been on Princess once-- it was very nice-- as others have posted-- a bit more formal... we were in an inside cabin-- and still had robes-- and fresh fruit everyday.... but for the price difference-- I would definitely go for NCL... and the Dawn!

That is a huge amount of money! :)

1. people on this list are more likely to think NCL is a good deal. I am NOT saying it is or isn't. Just saying.

2. i don't think you have to make sure the 2 ships you are comparing have the exact same number of passengers, same price drinks, etc. over time I have found, by looking for a cruise it my favorite site, that NCL was cheaper. and i found it over and over with (not last minute) cruises to the Caribbean. so I think NCL is indeed cheaper for those 7-day Caribbean cruises. It may be that those cheap cruises may have been older ships or poor itineraries. But why didn't the other lines have older ships and poorer itineraries at times?

3. I noticed that Carnival had cheap cruises too. Maybe Carnival Corp. (who owns many cruise lines) is trying to compete with NCL.

4. People on RCL and Princess cruises would tell me they weren't pleased with NCL. But when the Jewel turned up with good ratings from CC and others, we decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

NCL is ususally less expensive, (comparing apples to apples), and that is because it is more of an "ala carte" cruise experience. The idea of Freestyle dining includes many surcharge restaurants which make the dining experience on NCL ships so much nicer. You have to pay for the privlege of dining on superior food quality, having superior service, smaller dining venues and interesting atmosphere. NCL offers spa facilities for a fee above the base cruise fare.

In the end, NCL offers a great cruise experience but you pay extra for it once you are on the ship. It is possible that NCL will come out to be very comparible in price to other mass market lines but the dining experience is far better than any other cruise line's main dining room, including NCL's.

1. people on this list are more likely to think NCL is a good deal. I am NOT saying it is or isn't. Just saying.

2. i don't think you have to make sure the 2 ships you are comparing have the exact same number of passengers, same price drinks, etc. over time I have found, by looking for a cruise it my favorite site, that NCL was cheaper. and i found it over and over with (not last minute) cruises to the Caribbean. so I think NCL is indeed cheaper for those 7-day Caribbean cruises. It may be that those cheap cruises may have been older ships or poor itineraries. But why didn't the other lines have older ships and poorer itineraries at times?

3. I noticed that Carnival had cheap cruises too. Maybe Carnival Corp. (who owns many cruise lines) is trying to compete with NCL.

4. People on RCL and Princess cruises would tell me they weren't pleased with NCL. But when the Jewel turned up with good ratings from CC and others, we decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

Sorry, as frequent cruiser and travel agent, the size, age and class of the ship does make a big difference. We have chosen other lines because of the price being lower than NCL on several occassions. No, not all who have sailed RCI and Princess will say they were not happy with NCL, in fact this subject comes up often.. Yes, people on RCI and Princess board will say that, they are very defensive of the their chosen lines, more than NCL loyalist, but many on here will say, they have cruised other lines and love NCL, or have come back to NCL or have just cruised NCL for the first time and were happy.

Nita

Archived