Child discounts on any of the glacier tours?

bug42362

Hi! We are a family of 5, requiring us to book 2 cabins onboard our ship. I am wondering if there are any discounts for children if you book independent tours for the glaciers. If anyone knows please let me know, any other savings tips for families I would appreciate. Thanks

Most helicopter glacier landings go full price- these flights are easily always full with waiting lists. The only discounts I know of are with TEMSCO on their glacier dog sledding. Best would be to contact the venders yourself and inquire- policies can change. http://www.coastalhelicopters.com http://www.temscoair.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bug...

We are on the same ship as you (saw you on the Who's going to Alaska thread). We have 6 going (two teenagers, us and two seniors), and are looking at different tour options as well. So far we are renting a van in Skagway, kayaking in Ketchikan and unsure in Juneau.

I have tried to start a Roll Call...but no one has responded...I think it was posted this past Monday.

Can't wait until June!

Most of the excursions we did this past summer did offer discounts for children. Except for the train ride in Skagway, we booked them all ourselves well ahead of time. Interestingly, some offered discounts when booking on your own, but would not offer the discount when booked through the cruiseline. We preferred to book independently, so this was not a problem. Temsco was one that we used and at about half price, the discount was pretty significant for a couple of kids.

My kids are 15,14, and 6, and I didn't really give them a choice on the flightseeing....we all go up or we all stay down!!! But they are excited about seeing the glaciers. My boys like to fish so the salmon trip in ketchikan has them satisfied.

Budget queen is correct that Temsco give half price for kids if you book direct. If your kids are old enough the dog sled fight is one of the best and most exciting.

We also purchased toursaver coupon books, 2 of them, to use for our family of four. One flightseeing trip paid for the book with the two free tickets.

http://WWW.toursaver.com

• 2 weeks later...

For clairfication- there hasn't been a TEMSCO toursaver coupon for years. These flights go full price and always full. If this is a priority - book it and enjoy. Toursaver coupons are MOST useful for independent INTERIOR Alaska travelers. There are flightseeing coupons out of Talkeetna for McKinley (some can be upgraded for the summit flights).

I contacted TEMSCO directly. They said they charge the same fare for adults and children. I guess my kids will be staying in the kids' camp on the ship while we do some sightseeing. At 5 and 6 years old, I don't think they will remember the experience well enough to make it worth the amount of money it will cost to take them.

Archived