HMC clamshells?

bkreader

Can someone describe what these are and whether you would recommend renting them (Can't afford a cabana). We hope to do a little snorkeling but need shade for when we're out of the water. Thanks!

Jane - Westerdam 1/4/05

There should be plenty of loungers shaded by trees which you can use for free. There is also a great little bar overlooking the beach which is covered and always has a nice breeze blowing in. For me, the clamshells get a little too hot and stuffy.

We were very pleased with the clamshell we rented in May( and floats). No way could we have stayed as long as we did on that beautiful island without being able to get out of the sun once in a while. Well worth the money. Advise you to try.

Just don't let the HAL people pick where to put you. They put us right next to the music and so we moved on down the beach and took our pole (which puts up the clamshell) with us. Also advise going early to get a good location. Wish I was going to be there tomorrow.

Nancy

About the clamshells: I highly recommend renting one - in advance. They are supposed to be claimed by 11am. They were almost all occupied before 11am a couple of weeks ago (2 ships in HMC)

The HAL guy asked one couple to vacate a clamshell because they had not paid - and they refused to leave! After standing in the sun as the porter tried to talk the couple out of the clamshell, I'd had enough. I drew myself up to full height, went over and more or less insisted that they leave, which they did. Seeing as how I'm only 5' 5", I think the crazed look in my eyes must have helped. Thank goodness they didn't know it was just my usual squint from bad vision, always being lost, and 4 Bahama Mamas. ;)

So get there early - cuz yer gonna love it. :)

About the clamshells: I highly recommend renting one - in advance. They are supposed to be claimed by 11am. They were almost all occupied before 11am a couple of weeks ago (2 ships in HMC)

The HAL guy asked one couple to vacate a clamshell because they had not paid - and they refused to leave! After standing in the sun as the porter tried to talk the couple out of the clamshell, I'd had enough. I drew myself up to full height, went over and more or less insisted that they leave, which they did. Seeing as how I'm only 5' 5", I think the crazed look in my eyes must have helped. Thank goodness they didn't know it was just my usual squint from bad vision, always being lost, and 4 Bahama Mamas. ;)

So get there early - cuz yer gonna love it. :)

How did they put it up without the pole?

We loved the clamshells, DH would never have stayed as long without one.

We were the only ship there and they ran out eary (we had reserved in advance) and they ran out of floats early, we didn't get one :(

Having our own confirmed shade was imperitive for us in July. I learned on this message board to book a clamshell the day we boarded the ship. We did that and were grateful. It is hot inside the clamshells, but my DH found a rock and put it under the backside for a little flow through breeze. That helped greatly. It wasn't too expensive and the shade relief was well worth it. We loved our day on HMC and can't wait to go back. It was the most beautiful beach we had ever been to and we do Hawaii often! Have fun!

Hi all. I am the H of Skilla6. This is my first post. I love that gal. I took the picks of the clamshells. Do not under estimate the power of the sun... Wear sunblock whether or not you get a clam shell, whether or not you want to get a tan... no matter how tuff you are.

As I look at the clamshells, a stick under the backside of the clamshell would do beter than a stone.. AND... Neither are readily available on the groomed beach... Take a stick of any kind WITH you to prop up the clamshell on the back side.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.mcmillen/IMG_1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.mcmillen/IMG_2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.mcmillen/IMG_3.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.mcmillen/IMG_4.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.mcmillen/IMG_5.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.mcmillen/hot_girl.jpg

Happy crusing. I can't wait to go again.

Mike

Are all clamshells concentrated in one area or can you get one further down the beach? are they movable?

They are scattered down the beach in a row, you can move the pole that holds them open to another one down the beach but you cant move the clamshell. :)

If you absolutely want to be sure you have shade on the beach, I would think about renting a clamshell. Since the hurricane stripped the trees and some foliage, there is little natural shade. There are not that many trees and it will take at least some months for the foliage to grow back.

Two questions:

Knowing now that there will be two ships in port the day we are at HMC (Zui and Noordam) I am leaning towards renting a clamshell for the simple fact of having a chair to lay on. When renting the $9 clamshell, that does include two loungechairs, correct?

I want to make sure if you are renting a clamshell, you are not finding your own lounge chairs to drag over there on the beach to place under the clamshell (or if other people might move the chairs out from the clamshell before you arrive). So I just wanted to verify that the clamshell does indeed include two loungchairs.

Also, since you must arrive by 11:00 - I am assuming that if you get tender tickets in the morning as soon as they are available then you are fine? We are not in a suite so not receiving priority tender tickets. I don't want to book now, be in line early that morning for tender tickets, and then find the pre-paid clamshell already let go by HAL should the tenders be running behind between the two ships or because someone just decided to let them go.

Thanks for any clarification you can share!:)

Think I just found the answer to my first question by looking a thread further down. It stated that you are guaranteed two loungechairs with the reservation of a clamshell.

So with no priority tender tickets and two ships in port, is it still feasible to make it there on time before HAL relinguishes your pre-paid clamshell?

If you reserve it and go off the ship in the am , you should have no problems getting it, I just wouldnt wait till noon :)HMC is sooooooo beautiful, trust me you will want to spend every minute on her you can !!!!:) Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks Ziggy! We were there last year on Maasdam (smaller ship) and she was the only ship in port, so we had no problem finding shade. I'm an early riser so we aim for the first tender we can get on (and for being early in line for ticket distribution)... but I understand all suites and VIPs get priority. We're definitely looking forward to our day there!:)

Would suggest you get off the ship as early as possible. On our 10/23 cruise the first tender left at about 8am. and the last left back for the ship at noon or 12:30pm. So don't think about waiting till 10 or 11 to get one. The ships excuse for the short half day, or 4 hour visit to HMC was that the captain needed the time for the trip back to Port Canaveral. This seems to be a recurring problem with HAL and they should change the advertising of their trip itinerary to reflect this.

Jim

Would suggest you get off the ship as early as possible.

Thanks. That's exactly what we plan to do, but not being in a suite I realize we must wait even when we have tender tickets in hand since we are not priority. We got off as soon as we could last year at HMC and will certainly try again this year.:)

Archived