GT Hop on/Hop off

booboo4031

I know people are saying that it is not up and running right now.. but we are not heading that way for a year...

Is this something that you normally can purchase tickets for normally right at the pier or do you have to pre-purchase on the ship? It sounds like one of those things the cruise line would charge you 4x the price for when all it is is transportation!

thanks

Diane

• 1 month later...
I guess it must be operating. But is it worth the 88. ticket price for us as a couple.

We were wondering that, too.

I can wait til you get back so you can tell me. How many ships are in this port with you in Grand Turk> We have two.. withus arriving one hour after the other ship

We were there 12/5. The Hop On/Hop Off was running and billed as a Hurricane Ike thing to see the island damage. Seems like it was less than $20 ea. You really didn't Hop Off anywhere. Just a trip around the island. I also heard you could make a donation to the rebuilding fund if you wanted. All the things that you hop off to see normally are damaged and closed for the most part.

We were there 12/5. The Hop On/Hop Off was running and billed as a Hurricane Ike thing to see the island damage. Seems like it was less than $20 ea. You really didn't Hop Off anywhere. Just a trip around the island. I also heard you could make a donation to the rebuilding fund if you wanted. All the things that you hop off to see normally are damaged and closed for the most part.

Thanks for the info. Did you take this tour? We will be there on 1/14, and have booked the hop-on/hop-off. May want to cancel. Undecided.

For our cruise the excursion costs 44.00 per person. It is supposed to stop at two places --where you can get off and tour the area-- then get on and tour the second area. (If I remember its some kind of prison and a lighthouse place.

I think i will wait til I get onboard to book because I cant find any answers about this tour.

This tour does not look like it runs independantly. I looked high and low to see if I can gt tickets once i get to the port. anyone?

This is a tiny tiny island. I read somewhere that Carnival employs 80% of the residents. You will not find endless folks trying to get you to take their tour like other islands. There are taxis outside the Carnival compound however that will take you wherever you want to go or just on a tour.

• 3 weeks later...

I know bumping up a post is against the terms of service-- but i am still undecided about this tour. So lost as what to do in this port.

Staying onboard is not an option as we will be doing that while in princess cay.

Any information regarding this hop on/off bus will greatly be appreciated

I know bumping up a post is against the terms of service-- but i am still undecided about this tour. So lost as what to do in this port.

Staying onboard is not an option as we will be doing that while in princess cay.

Any information regarding this hop on/off bus will greatly be appreciated

We are currently on the Grand heading to Trinidad. The Grand Turk Hop-on/Hop-off tour has been changed to "The Ike Experience" at a reduced price. So much of the island was much destroyed by hurricane Ike, and has not been rebuilt that the tour will just take us on a tour of the island showing us the destruction and the rebuilding status. We will be there in about a week, and we are booked for that tour.

I hope this helps.

serene56, I am curious. Why are you staying onboard instead of going to Princess Cay? We will be there in Feb.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Princess Cay. You can snorkel, enjoy a "free" bbq lunch and enjoy running your toes through the thick sand that they have imported to make the area even more lush. It is an enjoyable, relaxing day in a pretty spot.

you will have to let us know if you were able to get on and off or was it just one long bus ride. I will be waiting for your review

We did this tour this week on the Grand. The "Ike Experience" is a bus ride around the island showing the results of hurricane Ike, and the efforts currently in progress to repair the damage. There were many woodframe houses that were demolished and many, many roofs blown off or damaged. The guide talked about the extent of the destruction as he drove. We made one stop at the lighthouse park for about 30 minutes. It was interesting, and had good views of the northern coast (Atlantic ocean), but nothing special. Only you can decide if it was worth $19pp.

The day we were in GT, there was a Carnival ship in port that arrived before we did, and the Margaritaville area and pool was a disaster. About the only other thing to do there is shopping (of course).

For us, it was worth the money, as it may the the only time we get to GT.

serene56, I am curious. Why are you staying onboard instead of going to Princess Cay? We will be there in Feb.

We are going in February too. We have been to Princess Cay twice already. Grand Turk will be a mad house when we arrive but we never been there so we basically are resting up for that port, :D

Archived