10am flight

bahi

Do you think I can make a 10am flight from the Solstice on 12/7/2008 in fll?

Thanks MB

Hi Bahi !

I would say the odds are not great. I always suggest taking a flight that departs FLL at Noon or later, just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy your Cruise !

IF the ship arrives on time.

IF the ship clears customs/Immigration w/o any hangups.

IF you are in the first couple of groups off.

IF you can find all your luggage quick.

IF you clear Customs/Immigration.

IF the lines at the airport are short at check in and security.

IF anything else unexpected doesn't happen.

IF you like alot of stress at the end of your vacation that you probably worked hard for.

IF you enjoy a good gamble.

I agree with Andy, I don't think the payout is worth the risk.

Thanks MB

Hi,

I agree with the others, it's not worth the mental/emotional/physical post-cruise stress. Don't chance it.

We have seen instances in Ft. Lauderdale where the ship wasn't even cleared for disembarkation 'til 10:00 or 10:30 a.m.

CM

Thanks MB

Fll airport is a zoo on cruise days and you will need close to two hr. to get throug the security to bord I would not even atempt a 10:00am flight

Good Luck

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

We did it once and made the flight. We were very glad we did it - home to Long Island by noon. Would we do it again? Never! The stress we went through was not worth it. Even when we got off early, carried our own bags, sailed right through customs, quickly got at taxi, arrived at the the airport without delay, the security line was unbelievable! They were loading the plane when we got to our gate.

Barbara

Thanks MB

Great question!!! Unfortunately we have already booked a 10:10 A.M flight out of FLL! We are disembarking the Solstice on 2/08/09 and was assured by a local independent shuttle service that we would be fine and make the flight... With priority disembarkment and business / first class air fare we are banking (assuming) we would be able to expedite our check-inn at the airport. Living on the west coast it would be nice to get home early (need to get up early and pay-off the cruise) Is this realistic?

On one cruise last January, the immigration computers went down for over an hour while disembarking guests sat on the floor waiting to be processed. If there is a medical emergency requiring an air lift, Solstice might be delayed, if Solstice meets up with a raft of boat people as Century did last year, there might be a delay... there are many things that could go wrong. Just have a back up plan if "the planets are aligned perfectly".

There might be early disembarkation for guests carrying their own luggage so travel light, run hard.

Great question!!! Unfortunately we have already booked a 10:10 A.M flight out of FLL! We are disembarking the Solstice on 2/08/09 and was assured by a local independent shuttle service that we would be fine and make the flight... With priority disembarkment and business / first class air fare we are banking (assuming) we would be able to expedite our check-inn at the airport. Living on the west coast it would be nice to get home early (need to get up early and pay-off the cruise) Is this realistic?

Unfortunately, it is not realistic. On one of our cruises, the ship was delayed due to an air lift during the night of the day before we were to arrive at home port. We arrived at 10:30 a.m. Those who booked Celebrity Air were fine.Arrangements were made for them by X. Everybody else who a flight before 11:00 made a mad scramble to no avail! So many tried to carry their own luggage that it delayed the departure from the ship.

Unfortunately, it is not realistic. On one of our cruises, the ship was delayed due to an air lift d

Mercury is facing this issue right now. She has been forced to return to Hawaii because a passenger is too ill to be airlifted. You can go to the rollcall for Nov. 6 where one of the passengers on board just posted. Those who have experienced delays know better. Stuff happens. Be prepared.

If even ONE thing goes wrong, out of about 20 things, you won't make that flight. There have been times when we didn't even start to disembark until after 9:30, and that has happened for at least 7 or 8 cruises. You cannot rely on any independent shuttle service as they don't know squat, IMHO. They can say anything they want to get your booking.

Here is hoping you make it. The earliest flight I ever had out of Ft.Lauderdale was 11:40 & I was sweating it. We were one of the earliest off the cruise because we are elite members feb of 07(Millie). I would never try anytime earlier then that out of FT. Lauderdale. We flew jet blue & had to go through the puff eclosed machine during security which took longer also. Good Luck!

Last year I cruised on HAL twice out of Ft Lauderdale. Both times I carried my bags off the ship and was at the airport before 9:00 AM. I think the chances are pretty good to make a 10 AM flight. However, with your later flight there is now an option to spend the morning relaxing on the ship! (Better than sitting at the airport for four hours!)

Last year I cruised on HAL twice out of Ft Lauderdale. Both times I carried my bags off the ship and was at the airport before 9:00 AM. I think the chances are pretty good to make a 10 AM flight. However, with your later flight there is now an option to spend the morning relaxing on the ship! (Better than sitting at the airport for four hours!)

No one is saying there are not situations where you could make a 10:00 flight. Yes, as you've proved, there are. However, and this is a big however, we are talking about odds. I am in strong disagreement with you that 'the chances are pretty good....". In my experience of more than 20 cruises, the odds are overwhelmingly against making a 10:00 flight. So unless you are very flexible and unless you can easily afford a rebooking charge I think booking a 10:00 flight is taking a real risk.

Your comments regarding risk and odds are valuable. I've not sailed Celebrity and do not have first hand experience with their disembarkation process. (I recently booked the Galaxy and can't wait!) On HAL the risk is low, I believe, because they have a good early disembarkation process. They announce early disembarkation between 7:30 and 8:00 AM, and your off the ship by 8:30. With the short ten minute taxi ride to FLL a 10:00 AM flight is fine. I did it twice, like clockwork. Both times I was almost first off the ship, quickly passed through customs, walked right up to the taxi, and no line at the ticket counter at FLL. No problem, no stress.

Does Celebrity offer early disembarkation where you carry off your own bags? If so, what time do they usually announce it?

Yes, they do have early debarkation for people with early flights. But the issue, once again, is that it all depends. I have seen early debarkation in FLL as early as 7:30. I have also been on cruises where no one was allowed to leave until 9:30. (actually, I think there was even one that was 9:45). No one leaves until the ship clears customs and the Customs Officers give the go ahead - no one. It is true that it is a very short taxi ride to the airport, but if you are unlucky and don't get cleared until 9:30, the odds are still very low you can get through customs, grab a taxi, check in, and make your flight. could happen - might not happen.

Archived