Jewel banging noise: decks 4/5

johno95

My father and I heard a banging noise at various times. Our inside staterooms are on decks 4 and 5.

To me, it sounded like 55 gallon oil drums being rolled off shelves, down a ramp. My wife said it sounded like waves slapping against the side of the ship. Then I wondered if it was the ship being raised up, then crashing down on the water.

Any ideas? :confused:

My father and I heard a banging noise at various times. Our inside staterooms are on decks 4 and 5.

To me, it sounded like 55 gallon oil drums being rolled off shelves, down a ramp. My wife said it sounded like waves slapping against the side of the ship. Then I wondered if it was the ship being raised up, then crashing down on the water.

Any ideas? :confused:

Were you toward the front of the ship?

Nita

We had similar situation, but on a different ship. We were on our second cruise on the brand new Carnival Splendor this past July. We had no problem on the first cruise. On the second cruise we were in another OV cabin. From the first day on we heard these loud banging noise that startled us. We thought of all the possibilities, like waves, doors, service carts, etc. We were in mid-ship and thought maybe there's some heavy doors downstairs at the crews quarters being slammed. Spoke to the desk about the problem and they told us there wasn't anything (office, doors, engines, etc.) right under us. They couldn't figure out why. One night I saw a teenager sliding down from the stairways and landed on the floor making the same loud noise and figured that may be it. Then on our last sea day, the noise became unbearable. I went to the desk and ask them to come to the room and check it out. The purser came and listened to it then she called the engineers. The engineers figured it out right away. He told her to move us into another cabin because they had to tear the wall apart. Something inside the wall was making that noise! He said usually it happens to older ships but not new ships like the Splendor. Anyway, we were moved from an OV to a balcony cabin for the last two days of our cruise. Which was great for the canal passage into Amsterdam!

I was in Jewel cabin 4530. We could sometimes hear waves slamming into bow on rough seas. Other times heard bow thrusters when docking, and when we anchored at Sydney, could hear the anchor chain moving.

It wasn't that bad really. I found it kind of interesting.

I was in Jewel cabin 4530. We could sometimes hear waves slamming into bow on rough seas. Other times heard bow thrusters when docking, and when we anchored at Sydney, could hear the anchor chain moving.

It wasn't that bad really. I found it kind of interesting.

that is probably more what he heard, but being mid ship I wonder? Obviously others haven't experienced it much or we would know about it.

Nita

Those are crew corridors or storage behind each of the rooms. DS has no idea except possibly a door slamming or something like that. His other comment is: "it's a ship and they make noise." Sorry - can't give you a better answer. Hope it wasn't too bothersome.

Archived