Fuel Surcharge Refund??

CruiseGal28

Cruise Critic had a news article about this a few weeks back:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2874

The summary version of it is later in the article (elsewhere it lists Carnival's lines it applies to which includes Costa):

Carnival's official statement reads: "For 2008 and 2009 departures, if the price of light sweet crude oil according to the New York Mercantile Exchange Index (NYMEX) is $70 per barrel or less at the 2:30 p.m. close of business as reported by Reuters on each of the 25 consecutive trading days ending five trading days prior to the guest's cruise departure date, the fuel supplement will be refunded in the form of a shipboard credit."

So I would say that is a big maybe. If so, it will be an onboard credit and not a straight refund. The credits can be used toward tips normally though or other onboard charges.

David

It seems almost doubtful as the price has to be below that for EACH AND EVERY day of days 30 - 25 preceding the cruise. If one of those days goes a penny above then you are out and the clock re-sets. Doubt that oil will go, sustainedly, that low.

According to Seatrade Inside News:

Costa plans booking incentives in Europe

3/11/2008

Costa Cruises announced it will roll out a campaign in several European markets aimed at sparking early bookings for holiday cruises.

Customers in those markets will be able to make a reduced deposit of €30 for ‘Pronto Price’ early-booking fares and not pay any cancellation fee until 45 days before the departure date.

The Costa campaign’s message, for trade and consumers, will be: ‘Are you looking for good news?’

That question is followed by three incentives: deals for bookings on winter or spring/summer departures, free fares for children when sharing a cabin with their parents or reduced fares in a second cabin, and cancellation of the fuel surcharge for cruises departing from Jan. 1, valid for bookings made starting from tomorrow. Passengers already booked on 2009 sailings will get a refund of the supplement in the form of an on-board credit.

Ron

According to Seatrade Inside News:

Costa plans booking incentives in Europe

3/11/2008

Costa Cruises announced it will roll out a campaign in several European markets aimed at sparking early bookings for holiday cruises.

Customers in those markets will be able to make a reduced deposit of €30 for ‘Pronto Price’ early-booking fares and not pay any cancellation fee until 45 days before the departure date.

The Costa campaign’s message, for trade and consumers, will be: ‘Are you looking for good news?’

That question is followed by three incentives: deals for bookings on winter or spring/summer departures, free fares for children when sharing a cabin with their parents or reduced fares in a second cabin, and cancellation of the fuel surcharge for cruises departing from Jan. 1, valid for bookings made starting from tomorrow. Passengers already booked on 2009 sailings will get a refund of the supplement in the form of an on-board credit.

Ron

I just booked a Costa cruise this afternoon for April 2009 and was given a £100 shipboard credit. I wonder if the above applies to me or if the £100 is the refund?? Or should I have waited and booked tomorrow???!!

Tracey

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Booked the Fortuna repo cruise yesterday 02/12/08. XFt Lauderdale on the 15 of March 2009 and the booking shows a fuel charge of 126.00 USD each.

If I understand the various postings we should get a ship credit for 126.00 USD each if the price of crude stays below 70 USD per barrel. After reading the fine print on these postings and checking cruise critic boards it appears that the begining of the 30 days should be around Feb 1st. to be on the safe side I will begin tracking on the last week of January 09, probably overkill :) but there are a couple of holidays during this time frame and for 252.00 bucks I can watch this like a hawk.

If anybody sees a mistake in my caculations or knows something I don't PLEASE advise.

Lets see that leaves about 102 days, but hey! who's counting!

C&Dmich

SUN

SUN

SPLENDOR

DREAM

JEWEL

FORTUNA 09!!

thanks for the cool tracking sheet!!

When I was on the Concordia last week I asked the front desk if our sailing qualified for a refund of the fuel surcharge -- they had no idea whatsoever what I was talking about.

I will research the dates further back to see if we should have qualified!

Not at all sure if I will have an OBC or not for my October Classica cruise. Booked it months ago, around July I think.

I also have flights booked via Costa too, at 770 quid. The same flights (mine are not showing as booked yet on the website) that were 770 are now under 500 quid.

Wondering if my final invoice will reflect the drop in air fares and the fuel surcharge, as nothing on the site giving an OBC for the fuel.

Will miracles never cease! Looks like we get our $250.00 fuel surcharge back!!

Fortuna repo March 15, 2009, however will not spend it till I have it in hand. Still have 90 days till sailing. and lord knows what could happen between now and then.:):):)

C&Dmich

Archived