Signature of Excellence Update for S class and Rotterdam

Modern_Viking

Forgive me if this is old news, but I found the following on the HAL web site.

When ships will return from drydock with major changes:

Veendam: April 2009

Rotterdam: November 2009

Ryndam: January 2010

Statendam: March 2010

Maasdam: Late 2010

There is also an updated set of deck plans on the HAL web site:

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=ve&deck=l9&year=next

I found this interesting and useful for planning, and I hope you do too! I will let the changes speak for themselves and not comment (just yet).

Wonder if they are going to have an elevator up to sky deck where new pool is.

Ruth & Jim

I think the pool up on the Sky Deck is the teen area. I am not sure if it will be re-themed or made available to everyone, but for now it is just for the teens. I think the "pool" is more of a shallow hot tub. I would guess that they figured that if this addition was just for the younger set, they would not need to add an elevator. Also, Maasdam doesn't have this "feature" so it will be interesting to see if it is added (for now, I will guess that it won't).

It also looks like the Retreat has cabins directly beneath it, so the water cannot be more than a foot or two deep, I would guess.

No matter what, I hope you enjoy your trip on Veendam!

Those deck plans are very interesting - thank you, Modern Viking.

Looking at Navigation Deck - near the stern - balcony area between A072 (port) and A082 - is this huge slice of balcony around the crew stairs part of A072's balcony? A lot of real estate!

Ditto A087 - A095 starboard.

Also, looking at the forward section of the verandah deck....is it just me, or are the ship's officers losing half a dozen cabins on the starboard side? Where will they put these people? :eek:

Looking at Navigation Deck - near the stern - balcony area between A072 (port) and A082 - is this huge slice of balcony around the crew stairs part of A072's balcony? A lot of real estate!

Ditto A087 - A095 starboard.

I think those ares are public. The cabin occupants only get the space directly in front of their cabin. At least, that is based on the little black lines I can see on the drawing.

Also, does anyone know if the addition of the Mirabella shop reduced the size of the Explorer's Lounge? That room can be crowed as it is at night, so reduced room would not be good.

I also saw the Hot Man office is moving from Lower Promenade to near the front office to make room for extra cabins.

I wonder if the outside doors (to the open deck) for the lanai cabins will have key card readers? It would be neat if they did, but I would guess that they will have to be locked and unlocked from the inside.

Those six cabins on Verandah deck starboard forward that will become guest cabins are currently occupied by Guest Entertainers and other Service Staff.

They look likely to be relocated to Lower Promenade Deck Forward - there are six white cabins not open for booking if you look at the new deck plans.

Makes sense as those cabins are underneath the Showroom anyway, and can often have noise issues from upstairs.

<snip>Looking at Navigation Deck - near the stern - balcony area between A072 (port) and A082 - is this huge slice of balcony around the crew stairs part of A072's balcony? A lot of real estate! <snip>

I think those ares are public. The cabin occupants only get the space directly in front of their cabin. At least, that is based on the little black lines I can see on the drawing.<snip>

That would certainly seem reasonable, Modern Viking - and that's the way I'd normally read the deck plans, too. However, on the Vista ship deck plans, deck 4 (Upper Verandah) aft port cabins VD4164 and 4166 also have the little black lines, as if the space adjacent to the crew stair was "no man's land"....and that area is in fact part of 4164's and 4166's balconies, making them double width.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=no&deck=up&year=next

Sorry, don't mean to obsess over this (who, me ? ;)) Just having fun speculating on whether the fleet has some new "guaranteed to book out first" cabins.

There is also an updated set of deck plans on the HAL web site.

I found this interesting and useful for planning, and I hope you do too! I will let the changes speak for themselves and not comment (just yet).

Thanks for the link to the revised deck plans. Thus ends one round of speculation & another begins! :D:D

The Sky Deck pool is not the pool that is changing. This Pool is for the teenagers. It is not changing. It is part of the Oasis that they created for this age group. If you look at the plan before and after the referb you will see that this pool never changes.

The Pool that is changing is the one that was one the Navigation deck. This pool is now moving to the Lido and it will be changed to a pool with deck chairs in them. If you look at the new deck plan on that website you will see the new pool with the deck chairs in it. It is suppose to be like some of the pools that they have in Las Vegas where it looks like a beach with sand.

Geoffrey

I am going to upgrade from an E oceanview on Main Deck on the Veendam to a CA lanai cabin on the lower promenade deck.

We really wanted a balcony and this is the next best thing! Hopefully, it is as great as it seems to be.

We are cruising Alaska May 24, and I'm looking forward to beautiful scenery and taking lots of photos. I would hate to miss a shot because I couldn't get outside in time!

It will be so nice to be on a newly refurbished ship. All spic and span! :D

• 3 months later...
I see that our cabin on the lower promenade has changed numbers. How does that effect our reservations? They seem to have renumbered things quite a bit on that deck.

sorry for quoting myself, but I got the answer and thought I would pass it along. The last price adjustment automagically had the revised room number listed. So I guess HAL took care of it without my asking them.

We are on the May 24th, as well, so interested in the new deck plans. I am also alarmed to see the Explorer smaller as that is one of our favorite spots. It does not seem too different! At least it will be pristine!

I too enjoy the Explorer's Lounge. It is normally my favorite pre and post dinner spot.

Having just come off the Maasdam, I have mixed feelings about the planned shrink of the lounge. On one hand, I would like to see it a bit bigger to better hold the crowds. On the other hand, the forward section of the lounge (at least on the Maasdam) was already cut off from the music and not well used. That section is more private, but not nearly as interesting (if you are there for the music and/or people watching). Thus, this change might not be as bad as one would imagine.

Now, on the Amsterdam, the lounge was bigger and always filled in the evening and made for a good daytime spot as well. But, there also seemed to be more wasted space on the Amsterdam (perhaps the tables were too big and there was not enough booth seating)? I'm not sure, but the room seemed a bit better on the Maasdam.

:confused: So, I'm not sure I have a conclusion, but felt like trying to add to the conversation.

I too enjoy the Explorer's Lounge. It is normally my favorite pre and post dinner spot.

Having just come off the Maasdam, I have mixed feelings about the planned shrink of the lounge. On one hand, I would like to see it a bit bigger to better hold the crowds. On the other hand, the forward section of the lounge (at least on the Maasdam) was already cut off from the music and not well used. That section is more private, but not nearly as interesting (if you are there for the music and/or people watching). Thus, this change might not be as bad as one would imagine.

Now, on the Amsterdam, the lounge was bigger and always filled in the evening and made for a good daytime spot as well. But, there also seemed to be more wasted space on the Amsterdam (perhaps the tables were too big and there was not enough booth seating)? I'm not sure, but the room seemed a bit better on the Maasdam.

:confused: So, I'm not sure I have a conclusion, but felt like trying to add to the conversation.

Keep in mind also that this change is not happening on the Amsterdam. :)

The details of this aspect of the upgrades is unknown to me, but some of the renderings for Mix look great! I'm hoping to get up to Vancouver one weekend while Veendam's in to arrange a tour with the Fleet department. (Not available to the public, sorry :( But if I can make it I'll be sure to take pictures like crazy)

Archived