Alaska with small kids - balcony vs. interior question

s318830

I will probably be doing an Alaska cruise on Carnival Spirit with my family in July 09. This will be my third cruise. The first cruise was a Caribbean on RCI in an internal cabin with just my husband. The second was a Caribbean on RCI with my husband and kids when they were 2 and 3. We had two connecting balcony cabins that time. This time it will probably just be me and my two kids alone since DH probably won't be able to get the time off.

I loved having the double balconies, but we had one negative issue... We're from California and were trying to keep the kids mostly on our time-zone. But since the kids are used to being able to get out of bed once the sun has risen at home, it was impossible to keep them in bed until they had gotten a reasonable amount of sleep. Since the sun was up, that meant it was "morning", and that meant it was time to get up. Yes, there blackout curtains in balcony rooms, but light still seeps around the edges and once they open their eyes they see light and don't go back to sleep. And with the sun being up for 22 hours in the summer in Alaska, this is a concern for me.

Money is also not unlimited right now.

But I've also heard that balconies on an Alaska cruise are virtually a must-have. And my daughter (who will be three by the cruise) still takes naps, which means extended time for me in our cabin.

I haven't decided which way to go on this, but I'm leaning toward an interior for price and lack of light for getting the kids to sleep. And since we won't be booking until a couple months out, there may not be anything but interiors left anyway...

Opinions? Anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks!

And with the sun being up for 22 hours in the summer in Alaska, this is a concern for me.

Money is also not unlimited right now.

But I've also heard that balconies on an Alaska cruise are virtually a must-have. And my daughter (who will be three by the cruise) still takes naps, which means extended time for me in our cabin.

I haven't decided which way to go on this, but I'm leaning toward an interior for price and lack of light for getting the kids to sleep. And since we won't be booking until a couple months out, there may not be anything but interiors left anyway...

Opinions? Anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks!

Sunlight hours vary where you are in Alaska and when you go. Most sunlight hours are in June and lessens from there. By August you are down to 15-16 hours and Sept down to 12-13.

I agree, if you wait until a couple months out, you probably won't have much cabin choice, so perhaps you won't have to make this decision.

I think that if you can afford the balcony you should book it. Also, while your kids are napping, you can sit on the balcony and enjoy the scenery. If you had an inside you'd have to sit in the dark.

Have you thought about getting your children used to some level of light when napping? Over the next few months, just start opening the blinds a bit each day when they nap. Eventually, they'll become adjusted.

I also think that after a busy day on the ship or doing an excursion, your kids will fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow!

I'm pretty easy going about what kind of cabin on most cruises (I do a lot of obstructed view cabins so I can cruise more), but I think of any cruise, for Alaska a balcony is something to get if there's any way possible. There's just so much astounding beauty so much of the time. To me it would be worth it if I could at all affort it - and it would also be worth letting the schedules slip. But, as always for me, any cabin is better than no cabin!

Best,

Mia

Archived