Do families usually eat alone or with others...

savannah2117

We were a family of 4 seated at a table for 8 on our last cruise. Our children, at the time ages 4 and 9, went to dinner with us every night because they enjoy dressing up and eating new foods. We had great table mates that we all, including our children, had fun with at meals.

That being said, go to the dining room the first day and check out your table assignment. Then, if you would like a different size you can go to the maitre'd and request a table just for your family or a larger group table, whichever you would like. They try to make everyone happy.

I'm wondering, do families sit alone in the dining room, or with other families or do they put couples with them? How does that work if the kids only come to the dining room a couple of times? Would their chairs be empty and we'd be all by ourselves?

You can request a table by yourselves or with other people. You will be assigned the same table for all of your dinner meals. If your kids don't come to the meal with you, their chairs remain empty.

Savannah,

When we cruise with our two boys, my younger son usually enjoys the kids activities in the morning, meets us at the pool for lunch and a swim, and back to the kids activities. But both know we eat as a family for dinner. I think there was one night they went to a children's pizza party instead of dinner with us. Sometimes they leave the table before dessert to go back to the cabin to change into more relaxing clothes for the evening (shorts or jeans).

On our last Carnival cruise the six of us were seated at a long table for eight, and the second night another couple my parents age joined us, and it all worked out fine. They were unhappy with their original dining time and they offered them the two seats at our table but warned them ahead of time there was 2 kids.

If you request a large dining table, the cruise lines are pretty good about trying to match dining partners...they would probably put you with another family of four or five.

Hope this helps!

We usually request that the kids be put at a different table. Gives us time to relax and enjoy dinner.

Just kidding!!!!!!!!

We are always afraid we will get a big table where everyone is together or family except us, and that usually does not work too well, but it has never happened and we always enjoy our dining room experiences.

A few cruises back DH and I were seated with a family. There were no kids just adults. Sisters, mom, dad, spouses, etc. We had a great time with them. We never felt left out of the conversations. As it goes, most of your dinner conversation ends up being about the marvelous food anyway.:)

When I have cruised without my child, I have always been put to sit with other people in my age range.

Ever since I have started traveling with a child, I have either been placed at a large table with other families with children, or at our own table.

We were seated at a table of 8 as well. It really worked out great for us because one of the girls was my daughter's age and they became cruising buddies for the rest of the week. They still e-mail occationally.

Punk

I remember my first cruise . We were sitting with 18 family members so it worked out well for us. But I felt really sorry for the young honeymoon couple that was seated besides us with a young family with kids no less. THe young girl maybe she was 19- kept talking to our family members. I think it was sad that at the time no one knew that you could request a change.

There are 4 of us.

First cruise had a table for 4 - didn't get to meet anyone new.

Second had a table for 8 and the others only showed up one night.

Third had a booth for 6 - shared it with a mom and son.

Fourth had a table for 9 & booth with 4 - all family and friends

Fifth - shared a table with a family of 7 (there were only 3 of us on that cruise).

If you want a certain options then be sure to check your deating assignments as suggested here. If we had realized on the first two that we could have switched we would have.

The five of us were seated at a four-person booth with an extra chair at the end. We were pleased with the arrangement, although being seated with another family would have been fine as well. Our oldest dined with us every evening, while our two younger sons alternated between the dining room and the Camp Carnival dinner in the buffet area.

Wth our 7 & 9 year old girls we enjoyed sharing a table with another family. I probably would have requested a re-assignment had we received our own table.

I enjoy meeting others and listening to where they have been. Frankly, I did not like the people we shared the table with, but nonetheless they were entertaining in their own way and fodder for discussion in the bar afterward!

Our family of five sailed on the Ecstasy last year and they sat us at a table with a family of four, similar in age to our two youngest children. We thought they did a great job matching us up.

We are on the Spirit in March and hope they do something similar.

Don

We are a family of four. We don't request any special grouping. Last year we were at a table of four/five people. It was a four night cruise. They only ate in the diningroom two times. We weren't the same age either. Maybe the parents but not the kids.

This year we were at a table of four. Next to us was a couple with children on their honeymoon. The little girl was a doll. The older girl was about 12.

Next to them was another family of four. They did have a teenage boy. By the end of the week, we felt like they were family. Unfortunately the dad had to leave a day early since his mother died. We watched him leave the boat from our balcony and felt so sorry for him.

Archived