Compare Celebrity to Holland America!

SusieV

Hi,

Just curious to see what some of the thoughts are over here.

I have never cruised but I'm booked on Celebrity's [i]Summit[/i] for my honeymoon.

My fiance and I are in our early twenties and plan to take a first anniversary cruise in 2006. Should we consider HAL?

We're not party people but we like to have a good time without breaking the budget.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Susie

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Hi Susie! And congratulations on your upcoming marriage. You should really love your honeymoon cruise.[/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]We have sailed both Celebrity and HAL and love both. Our last HAL cruise was 2 years ago and now we leave Sunday on our second. We sailed the Celebrity Millennium last November and absolutely loved it. I have said many times, and many will not agree with me, that I personally like the food better on Celebrity. But other than that I think they're very comparable. I do like that Celebrity doesn't make loudspeaker announcements all day. [/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]When I return on the 14th, I'll be posting a review and I'm sure I'll include my comparison of the two. But my gut reaction is you can't go wrong with either one. In fact, we're already signed up for the Celebrity Summit (the Millennium's sister ship) for a 2 week October 2005 Panama Canal cruise.:D [/size][/font]

[font=technic][b][color=blue][size=3]Susie,

Congrats from us as well on your upcoming marriage and honeymoon cruise. We agree with Heather 100% on the comparison of food. Our last cruise was almost a year ago on the Horizon and the food was just a notch above. It's also been two years for us since our last HAL cruise and we are anxiously waiting. The two lines compare very well and you should try them both and form your own opinion.[/font][/b][/color][/size] :) :)

Congratulations! My husband and I, both in our mid-forties, have cruises on both lines and they are both our favorites. Celebrity will have a younger, livelier crowd then Holland America. The disco is pretty much empty on H.A. I feel that the food is better on Celebrity, but there's a touch more elegance on Holland America. I think that you'll have a great time on either line!
Bon Voyage!
Cindy Sue :)

Well.. Two lines are very close.

I've never sailed on M Class Celebrity ships..only on C(Century).

About food...

I loved food on Celebrity a bit more in the dinning room (and service too, while we had good waiter they were less professional and had more tables to attend).

I liked buffets on HAL more than on Celebrity, more different stations and variety of fresh juices.

Standard cabins(inside and outside) are roomier on HAL and bedding is better ..but again because of less room attendants sometimes our room was made after 12 PM and my call!

Both lines have a slight upscale feel. :) I loved fruit basket in our (inside) room on Zuiderdam and champagne on embarkation on Century.

Good luck! I hope you'll love your cruise.

[quote name='Cindy-Sue']Congratulations! My husband and I, both in our mid-forties, have cruises on both lines and they are both our favorites. Celebrity will have a younger, livelier crowd then Holland America. The disco is pretty much empty on H.A. I feel that the food is better on Celebrity, but there's a touch more elegance on Holland America. I think that you'll have a great time on either line!
Bon Voyage!
Cindy Sue :)[/QUOTE]
Don't count on this age thing. When we went on our cruise last November I felt young compared to the majority of the passengers. It turned out they had extended last minute discounts to large groups so a lot of folks in South Florida took advantage of the opportunity.

Being a bit older myself, it certainly didn't bother me (in fact I felt young;) ). I think the ages have a lot to do with when you decide to cruise. I've always heard that both Celebrity and HAL tend to attract a slightly older crowd.

Archived