IKEA Shuttle/Water Taxi

Jfultz81

Has anyone tried taking the free water taxi or shuttle to IKEA in Brooklyn and getting to the port (Red Hook) from there? Is it far or will they not even let you walk?

Interesting routes for getting there.

By "shuttle" I assume you really mean the store's free bus service connecting it with nearby subway stations. I don't think you would want to bother with these bus routes since you're then left with the issue of getting to the pier itself. The MetroCard that you will have used on the subway includes a free transfer to local bus routes so why not just take the regular bus from the subway to the pier? Any subway into downtown Brooklyn, then the B61 to the stop at either Van Brunt St & Summit St or Van Brunt St & Commerce St. Then walk to the pier via the entrance at Imlay St & Bowne St.

The ferry is not a bad idea. It will drop you off at the rear of the IKEA store, south of Beard St, between Dwight St and Otsego St. From there I imagine it would not be difficult to find a car service or taxi on Beard St (at least during business hours), and the ride should only be about $5 or so. You could certainly walk to the pier (I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "[W]ill they not even let you walk?"). It would easiest if the gate on Wolcott St (west of Ferris St) into the terminal were open, but I haven't been to the terminal enough times to find out if the gate is regularly open or not. If not, then you would have to walk all the way north to Imlay St & Bowne St to enter, then essentially walk all the way back south. Nonetheless, anyone reasonably fit and not hauling heavy baggage should be able to walk it (a bit less than a mile via the Wolcott St gate, and a bit more than a mile via the Bowne St gate).

• 5 years later...
did anybody try it yet?

Is it ok to hop on the watertaxi with the luggage?

Is it ok to walk to the port?

Or are there any cabs in case it is raining?

we intend to do this end september....

The water taxi has been running for years, but it really isn't something that makes a lot of sense for passengers going to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Its purpose isn't to serve cruise passengers...it shuttles shoppers. It docks close to a mile from the cruise terminal...not something most would want to do as a walk with luggage, in a neighborhood that is safe enough, but not very attractive and which might prove to be unnerving to those not used to an older urban neighborhood environment.

PS...taxis in NY City are always scarcest when it rains.

It's your call...I wouldn't do it.

Edited by njhorseman

Ikea has a car service that will call cars for you. Although its best to call one yourself(Arecibo is a local car service 7187836465). The car service if you use a cell phone should be asked to meet you at the back of the Ikea parking lot. Its a long walk to the front of the store from where the Ferry pier is.

Boy this is an old thread. They started charging for the Ferry,

it s not about the money, but we just hate cabs and do not mind the walk. in europe we were walking to the port most of the times from train station/bus station. I think it s a nice way to start the cruise using a water taxi.

by the way:the ikea taxi hompage says it s free on saturday. and we are embarking on a saturday :-)

but is it ok to use it with our luggage or will they refuse us, as it s obvious that we re not about to visit ikea?

Wow, an old thread coming to life.

Not sure if NYWT would allow anyone to board with simple carry-on luggage, small backpack/daypack might be okay :D if there's room & you can get on. First run is 12 noon on weekday & 12:40 PM on weekend - http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/ikea "Shop, shop, shop and bring back as much as will fit in your blue IKEA bag" - in another words, they aren't expecting & planning for anything bulky for boarding the water taxi.

My advice, consider alternate transportation unless you are staying next to Pier 11 @ Wall Street. This, really, isn't the way to start off for a cruise, IMO. ;)

Edited by mking8288

• 2 months later...

We´re right back from our cruise with Princess and took the Ikea water taxi to Brooklyn/Red Hook and it´s the cheapest, quickest and most beautiful way to get there!

As we started on a Saturday it was FREE and although there was a long line of passengerns nobody said a thing about our luggage.

We didn´t only see the Statue of Liberty, but actually pass our cruise ship! I was so thrilled! It was a 15 minutes ride.

We got off at the Fair-Market Station (the one before IKEA) and could see the Royal Princess all the time on our walk.

That was about 5 minutes on a nice seaview walk and another 5 minutes through a deserted industrial area. Lonely but safe.

We didn t have to go all the way to the main-entrance ,but were using the opened pedestrian door at the fence....

There we saw what we heard afterwards from many other passengers: that you had to wait in a line for more than an hour with the cab, coach or private car. Being pedestrians we just handed our luggage to a service guy and went to the check-in.

So when the weather is nice and you have no problem in "rolling" your luggage for 10 minutes or so (no stairs!) it s a brilliant way to start your cruise! Should it start to rain you can still take a cab from Fairmarket or IKEA...but it´s honestly not a mile, as the pedestrian-door is much closer to the watertaxi stops.

and given today that the brooklyn bridge was only operating one way(the Mnahattan bound side was reversed to Brooklyn and the normally Brooklyn bound side closed) traffic was a mess. BTW its the Fairway Market....good place for a cup of coffee...

The closure takes place one weekend in 4.

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/store/red-hook-brooklyn-ny/

Edited by smeyer418