Fuel surcharge refunds??

crusinbanjo

We have a Carnival cruise booked for March 2009. We booked it in September 2008. Our agent swears our refund will ONLY be about $4.00. I find that hard to believe according to what others have been refunded on these boards. Should we inquire about it once we arrive on board??

[quote name='LHARTWICK']We have a Carnival cruise booked for March 2009. We booked it in September 2008. Our agent swears our refund will ONLY be about $4.00. I find that hard to believe according to what others have been refunded on these boards. Should we inquire about it once we arrive on board??[/quote]
Four dollars doesn't sound right. Check your confirmation paperwork ... it should show the fuel surcharge amount you have paid, and that is the amount you are due as, I believe, an OBC. Don't wait til you're onboard ... get your agent to square it away now.

I am not familiar with Carnival ... but when I book with my T/A, I receive an agency invoice as well as a copy of the HAL confirmation/invoice, and the total price is broken out as fare, taxes and port charges, fuel surcharges. It even shows OBC.

[quote name='camp637']Four dollars doesn't sound right. Check your confirmation paperwork ... it should show the fuel surcharge amount you have paid, and that is the amount you are due as, I believe, an OBC. Don't wait til you're onboard ... get your agent to square it away now.

I am not familiar with Carnival ... but when I book with my T/A, I receive an agency invoice as well as a copy of the HAL confirmation/invoice, and the total price is broken out as fare, taxes and port charges, fuel surcharges. It even shows OBC.[/QUOTE]

My receipt only shoes "Tax/Fees" all lumped into one sum. No way to tell what we paid for the fuel surcharge. This is an agent recommended by a friend. So far, I'm not too impressed.

Do any of you know what the fuel surcharge for a Carnival 7 day cruise is??

[quote name='LHARTWICK']My receipt only shoes "Tax/Fees" all lumped into one sum. No way to tell what we paid for the fuel surcharge. This is an agent recommended by a friend. So far, I'm not too impressed.

Do any of you know what the fuel surcharge for a Carnival 7 day cruise is??[/quote]

I saved the following from the HAL website, and it seems that the amounts apply across the board for all Carnival-owned lines:

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]"Because of the continuing rapid escalation of fuel prices, the North American brands of Carnival Corporation, including Holland America Line, have announced an [COLOR=red][B]increase to the current fuel supplement from $7.00 to $9.00 (USD) per passenger per day. [/B][/COLOR]The fuel supplement on third, fourth and fifth passengers will increase from $2 to $4 (USD) per person per day. The new fuel supplements [B][COLOR="Red"]will apply to [/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]all new bookings effective June 12, 2008[/COLOR][/B].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The fuel supplements will not exceed $126 (USD) per person per voyage for the first and second guests and $56 (USD) per person per voyage for the third, fourth and fifth guests in a stateroom. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]For bookings made from November 7, 2007 to April, 20, 2008, the initial fuel supplement of $5 (USD) per person per day will apply. For bookings made from April 21, 2008 to June 11, 2008, the fuel supplement of $7 (USD) per person per day will apply, with $2 (USD) per person per day for third, fourth and fifth guests.[COLOR=black]"[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Based on the above and your booking date, it would appear that your total includes $9/day/person. Is it possible your T/A absorbed your total fuel surcharges? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

I believe you are entitled to an OBC of $9/person/day ... insist your T/A confirm that in writing so you will have a leg to stand on should it not be reflected on your account once onboard.

Based on the above and your booking date, it would appear that your total includes $9/day/person. Is it possible your T/A absorbed your total fuel surcharges?

Thank you for this info! I doubt the T/A absorbed the cost, but I will try AGAIN to find out. It would help if she would provide a detailed receipt.

• 3 months later...

Archived