Nassau - what to do

mocka

Hey all! I'm cruising out next week 11/13 on Carnival Glory. First stop is Nassau Bahamas. I've been there before and we did the Blue Lagoon trip. We were not impressed. Any suggestions? We prefer more remote places. Love snorkeling. I've heard of Rose Island and Athol Island. Are they fun?

Any suggestions?

Nassau is a hole. Not much to do on land there besides walking around Atlantis or going to the beach. I have never done Athol for snorkelling but heard it was good. If/when I go back, that's what I'm planning to do. If I wasn't into snorkelling, I would just stay on the ship. What a waste of a port.

We had a very nice day in Nassau this fall - in the morning we took the glass bottom boat excursion and in the afternoon we left again for a trip to pet the sting rays and then we snorkeled for nearly an hour, taking lots of pictures. It was really fun, although the facilities were rather primitive there (Pearl Island).

The downtown shopping was disappointing - Diamonds Inc and other stores were open but empty and employees were standing at the doorway. We found a souvenir shop to buy a shot glass to take home. The straw market was temporarily moved a block away and we didn't have time to check it out as that was formal night and we were caked with salt so we had to get back to the ship and clean up.

Slinkie

Is the glass bottom boat excursion pretty good. We were interested in taking that in March 05 when we are on the "Glory".. Kind of feel the same about Bahamas not alot to do.. Was thinking about just staying on the ship and looking around since it will be the 1st port.

Any feedback on the boat excursion would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Laurie

:)

Nassau is not bad at all. It's all in the attitude but you are going to be there on Sunday. Not much open in town. I was on the Glory last year and we just walked around and purchased some bottled water to carry back on the ship. I have been to Blue Lagoon too many times to want to do that again. Same with Atlantis. There is a nice beach within walking distance from the ship at the Colonial Hilton. Sometimes they charge to use the facilities and sometimes they don't. Just depends on who is watching the place. It is right next door to Senor Frogs.

We've been to Nassau several times and we love it there! You have to get off the main drag and go exploring! I even went on a 'girl's trip' this past April. We were there for 4 days and had a great time. There is lots to do, fun shopping and sightseeing. We chartered a boat for snorkeling...there were only 5 of us! GREAT!!! Remember...it's NOT the United States, Mon!:D

We were in Nassau last month. The Glass Bottom Boat is a joke. The fumes from the engine were very strong and made several of us ill while we were trying to see fish through the plexiglass. We walked around Nassau and visited the Pirate's Museum. The Straw Market had very narrow aisles and was difficult to walk through. We purchased a diamond wedding band at Diamonds Inc. The store had several patrons in it and the staff was very helpful. We also shopped at one of the linen stores and bought a Holiday type runner for our dining room table. All in all, we had more fun on the ship while the other passengers were off swimming with dolphins.

Liner: as for sightseeing - what did ya see?

I'm thinking now either chill at the beach or do a cheap snorkel trip.

Mocka...We've gone over to the Atlantis a few times. Taken a glass-bottom boat. Found a great little snorkel catamaran (lots of Rum!!) --can't remember who it was. Shopped in town; including the straw market that my husband hates but I think it's fun. Taken a bus ($1.00) to Compass Point, a quirky little resort with a great restaurant and views of the ocean. Another great restaurant is Cafe Matisse. It's right in Gov't Square but not open on Sunday. Has a wonderful outdoor area. It's pricey but fab! I'm a foodie so don't like 'chains' while on vacation and love to try the local foods. Kalik beer, the local beer is also good! Try some Nassau Royale on the rocks...oh so good!!!:D We also like to eat at Lum's Iguana Cafe on Bay Street (upstairs) is good for lunch. Try the conch...wonderful! Not too pricey and great for people watching...sit outdoors or in.

Nassau is wonderful to explore. We still can't figure out why so many don't like it there!?!

Anyway.....get off the ship and have fun!!!:D :D

I'm not sure what time you will be in Nassau however, DH and I were there last week and did an independent excursion with Stuart Coves. It was a snorkeling trip and we had a blast....did two different snorkel stops on the boat for about 45 minutes each and then did a shark snorkel where they lowered chum in the water about 40 feet and attracted Caribbean Reef Sharks....it was very cool. When we got back in the boat he threw some of the chum on top of the water and there were all these fins swimming around, one even jumped up.... If you like snorkeling do these guys....they really know where the fish are. If you booked ahead of time it was $40 pp. They pick you up at the corner on the main street (they'll give you directions and generally you'll find other people from your ship waiting there too) and they'll drop you back off as well. The times are not conducive if you have a 5:00pm departure back on the ship but we did get back a little after 5pm. Check out their website at http://www.stuartcove.com

vermonter16

and pay a taxi driver $10-$12 to take you to Cable Beach for the day! It's absolutely gorgeous! Get away from the touristy areas. We love Nassau, but not the tourist traps. Everyone goes to the public beach close to the ship.

Have the driver drop you off at the Wyndham, walk through the hotel to the beach and find some chairs. We were there just a week ago, arrived at the Wyndham at approximately 10:15am and had the beach to ourselves until noon! The water was calm and turquoise and beautiful. You may order food and drinks from your chair. It was a perfect way to start the day! We left Cable Beach around 2pm. It was fairly crowded by then. Several people from Carnival had arrived - we could see their beach towels. ;)

We went to Nassau on our first cruise in October 2003, and I didn't think there was much to write home about, but again, it was my first cruise and I am not anywhere near as experienced as others here. We went to Blue Lagoon Island. You can do the dolphin encounter there, snorkel and swim with the stingrays, but it was a little pricey. The island is gorgeous though. My parents were taken to Nassau on their "Western Caribbean" cruise due to Hurricanes Ivan, then Jeanne, and they did the glass bottom boat. They said it was ok. Very green through the windows. And the windows were small (according to the pictures), so they appeared a little hard to see through. My mother said that she got a better view looking over the side of the boat. I know it's not a lot, but i hope it helps.

Archived