Question on something in cruise docs

katier825

Just got my docs for my first HAL cruise and came across something I've never seen on Princess, Carnival or NCL.

It states that if you need a power strip, you must use a HAL provided one. I've always brought my own. Does anyone know why and can you depend on them having one available? Will I have a problem if I bring my own?

Just got my docs for my first HAL cruise and came across something I've never seen on Princess, Carnival or NCL.

It states that if you need a power strip, you must use a HAL provided one. I've always brought my own. Does anyone know why and can you depend on them having one available? Will I have a problem if I bring my own?

Wow, I've never seen that before and I always brought my own. It must be something new. I would assume it is for safety reasons with the electronics. I know at my office you have to use the heavy duty extension cord rather than the household type due to regulations of the fire department.

Never seen this before but no doubt it has to do with fire safety. There are cheap power bars without overload breaker protection and no doubt somewhere there was an incident or two. They may also want surge protection particularly when they are producing their own electricity on board. There may have been some liability issues associated with damaged appliances, computers, etc. Its related to not allowing travel irons.

Availabilty shouldn't be an issue if they are providing them. Was there a charge??

Yes, it was in the "Know Before You Go" booklet. I figured it might be for safety reasons. I'm sure there are some people that still use older ones that might not be up to today's standards.

I'd be surprised if the ship had 1000 +/- power strips available for everyone to use. I'm planning on bringing my own. Need it for CPAP.

I hope they consider putting more outlets on the new ships as they build them!

Never seen this before but no doubt it has to do with fire safety. There are cheap power bars without overload breaker protection and no doubt somewhere there was an incident or two. They may also want surge protection particularly when they are producing their own electricity on board. There may have been some liability issues associated with damaged appliances, computers, etc. Its related to not allowing travel irons.

Availabilty shouldn't be an issue if they are providing them. Was there a charge??

The booklet didn't specify if there was a charge, said to inquire at the front desk. As to availability, I can't imagine them storing 1000 +/- of them, but one never knows. Imagine the line at the desk on day one when just about everyone goes there looking for one!

The booklet didn't specify if there was a charge, said to inquire at the front desk. As to availability, I can't imagine them storing 1000 +/- of them, but one never knows. Imagine the line at the desk on day one when just about everyone goes there looking for one!

They wouldn't need a 1000+ since only a fraction of cabins would want one. I would take yours along to make sure you have one but might still inquire once you get there.

You are correct about the need for more receptacles. The new Eurodam now has 2 receptacles above the dresser.

If HAL is concerned about safety they should just place a power strip in every cabin. Unfortunately some of those may make their way off the ship in someone's luggage, perhaps they can charge for its loss. (How does HAL handle missing robes, for example? Do they charge the credit card on record? What about those that pay in cash?)

Just ask your cabin steward. On my last Maasdam cruise I had my own and the cabin steward brought me a new one, so that it was set up with my phone, computer, etc plugged into it when I returned with my strip sitting nicely on my bed. He said it was because the power fluctuations with the ship's engines - most power strips that people bring are OK, but they have actually recently had a small fire with a non-HAL power strip and therefore made this decision. THe strip looks exatly like any other, it just has a HAL logo on it.

As for the robes, they are $50 if you take them and it is charged to your on board account. I have no idea how they handle those people that payed cashed on aboard, but I assume that if you paid for your reservation, they have credit card history somewhere. Also, I believe that the $50 is a little less than what people pay when they buy their own, but remember that you are taking a used robe that's been laundered after how many people have used it and it's not monogrammed.

I just did word searches on a pdf file of the "Know Before You Go" brochure that I downloaded yesterday. I got no relevant hits on

power

strip

outlet

electricity

multiple

cord

elect

surge

protection

protect

plug

cable

adapter

If I read the whole brochure and find anything I will let you know.

There's nothing in the Know Before You Go booklet that we got 2 weeks ago about power strips.

Are we the only passengers who never use a power strip? Never had a need for one as there are plenty of outlets. JMO
The last two times we brought one, it stayed in the suitcase. My laptop can use the 220v outlet (with an adapter), and we survive with just one item at a time plugged into the 110v outlet. We put away our cell phones when we leave the embarkation port, and charge camera batteries while we sleep, etc.

I just when through our "Know Before You Go" book that we got back in September for our up-coming cruise.

I couldn't find this.

What page is it on??

Maybe I missed it.

In my "Know Before You Go" booklet, it's on page 18, under the "Cruise Preparation" section, under the heading of "Electrical Appliances".

Are we the only passengers who never use a power strip? Never had a need for one as there are plenty of outlets. JMO

I've been on several different cruiselines, different ships and have never had more than one outlet. Were you in a suite? I bet they have more than the other cabins. Usually they are located at the desk, which is too far away from the bed for the CPAP. Other things I plug in are chargers for the camera, MP3, sometimes the laptop. I don't usually recharge the cell phone till the end of the cruise.

In my "Know Before You Go" booklet, it's on page 18, under the "Cruise Preparation" section, under the heading of "Electrical Appliances".
Interesting! In my KBYG booklet (received 2 weeks ago) on pg 18 I have sub-headings of Dining Venues:

Flexible Open Dining

Classic Pre-Set Dining

The Pinnacle Grill Experience

Other Delightful Dining Options

I have no heading of "Electrical Appliances" anywhere in my Cruise Preparation section!

How many pages does your booklet have? My last numbered page is 46.

Interesting! In my KBYG booklet (received 2 weeks ago) on pg 18 I have sub-headings of Dining Venues:

Flexible Open Dining

Classic Pre-Set Dining

I have no heading of "Electrical Appliances" anywhere in my Cruise Preparation section!

Mine has 54 pages. The section is located after the packing/clothing/medication section and before the dining section.

I brought my power strip earlier this year and used it, but really didn't have to, as there were 2 outlets at the desk. I was surprised because the year before, on the same ship but in a slightly better room, there was only one outlet. (VF vs. C)

As for the robes, when you buy them new and embroidered while onboard, they are slightly under $50.00. Much better than making off with the used one in your room

Flexible Open Dining

Classic Pre-Set Dining

Believe that most of us have the old "Know before you go" 46 page booklet, which we received in August..That one was published in July 2007...Look at your very first page where it says welcome..In small print at the very bottom it says 07/07..There must be a new booklet published in 2008 which very few of us have...

Believe that most of us have the old "Know before you go" 46 page booklet, which we received in August..That one was published in July 2007...Look at your very first page where it says welcome..In small print at the very bottom it says 07/07..There must be a new booklet published in 2008 which very few of us have...
My 46 pg one says 02/08, so there must be one even newer!

We have never used a power strip either. Seems to be plenty of outlets for us (camera, cell phones, hair stuff). We have never cruised with a computer though.

My 46 pg one says 02/08, so there must be one even newer!

OK...So now the one we received for our August cruise really old...:confused:

Wish HAL would put the "Know Before......." booklet on their WEB site & up date it when it changes, or am I expecting too much..;)LOL

I had been packing a power strip for previous cruises, but have never actually found the need to use it..Since we had to fly to Alaska, decided to leave it home.. Never missed it!

Happy cruising all..:)Betty

I have never received a "Know Before You Go" booklet for any of our HAL cruises. We just received our docs last Friday for our 12/7/08 cruise. How does one go about getting one? I downloaded one from the website and see nothing about Electrical Appliances.

I have never received a "Know Before You Go" booklet for any of our HAL cruises. We just received our docs last Friday for our 12/7/08 cruise. How does one go about getting one? I downloaded one from the website and see nothing about Electrical Appliances.

Hal has always mailed the Know before you go booklet with the documents..If you booked with a TA, they usually forward the booklet with your docs.. You might call your TA & inquire about it..

Archived