Post-Cruise Complainers

Greymeowsr

// rant

I've noted an interesting thing as I've been reading these boards. There are a ton of post-cruise complainers. Often they have nothing nice to say about their cruise; even some who say they are experienced cruisers. I wonder if it's "halo" effect and something goes wrong early on and the person just goes off? Some are those posting are used to cruising in traditional ships and Freestyle doesn't appear to meet their needs.

But the thing I most notice is that apparently these post-cruise complainers for the most part do not do cruise reviews after their cruises. Now I don't mean none do. It's interesting to me to read those who give 2-ribbon reviews when others are giving 4-ribbon reviews for the same cruise. I wonder if they really sailed on the same ship?

Often it seems the complaint is poor food/service in the regular dining rooms. But then just as many praise their experience. I think that sometimes folks expect too much. I don't think luxury cruise foodie expectations are reasonable for cruise lines like NCL, even with the many and varied dining options.

The other thing I've noticed is that first-time cruisers far more often rate their cruise as exceptional. I wonder sometimes why so many folks' expectations change with experience?

Another thing I've noticed in these threads is the number of posts where folks are complaining about the rudeness of other cruisers, how they behave badly, or treat cruise staff poorly. I've never understood the mentality of folks who seem to have a sole purpose in life of making others miserable. How sad their lives must be. I'll be having the time of my life and won't have room for such folks' behavior to impact me negatively.

Here's my suggestion to those who let little irritants ruin their vacations. Just take a deep breath, see what you can do to bring the issue to light in a positive way. You know the cruise line and staff want you to have a good time. Happy passengers tip better (I know there's a service fee), cause less problems, and help keep the staff happier too. Deal with stuff in the moment. If your food isn't acceptable, let your server know and/or head waiter. Expect meals to take much longer on board. Take that time to talk with your cruise mates about the fantastic vacation you are having. Bring back great stories to tell your friends and extended families.

//end of rant

We just went on our third NCL cruise. Our first two were basically flawless on the Crown. We are the type of people that we don't let the little stuff bother us and like you said "take a deep breath" ..

This year we sailed on a different NCL ship The Dawn.

We didn't have the same experience on this ship and we really didn't enjoy it as much. We so look forward to our cruise and this one I guess disappointed us. We're not still bragging like we did the last two years.

While we're not giving up on NCL we will try another of their ships.

You can read my review and you'll see that although alot of it WAS positive alot of it was NOT. I gave an honest opinion based on OUR likes/dislikes and realize that not everyone will have the same expereince.

I have found that others who sailed that ship the same time or right before/after us had similar complaints . Then there are others who had a great time.

So.......... my likes are not necessarily yours and vice versa..

I'm another cruiser who came back with complaints about waiting times and service issues in the Venetian, specifically, following our recent Dawn cruise. It bothered us simply BECAUSE we're now more experienced cruises (it was our 6th NCL cruise) and these were issues we hadn't experienced up to this point. I know NCL can do better, and it was disappointing to see the decline in service and extended wait times on this ship.

I did post a review, and I think this one got 4 stars compared to my others that have had 5 or 5+. Did I have a miserable cruise? No. Was it as good as my previous 5? No. In fact, I'd love the opportunity to cruise the Dawn again and see if it was just an "off" week. The ship was beautiful and we loved the Canada/New England itinerary.

I think part of the reason for my disappointment is that so many people over the years have posted about how the Dawn is their favorite ship and cruise it over and over again. With the wait times we experienced for dinner (to be seated, not served), and the rather rude atmosphere of the hostess in the Venetian, I'm not too sure I could get my DH to sail that particular ship again.

We are taking our 35th cruise in 2 weeks. We have rarely ever had a complaint. We love cruising.Most of the time it's Celebrity & RCL.

We cruised NCL once in 2002 & said never again. We had a group that wanted to go on the Jewel in 2007. We decided to give NCL another chance. Our group was all disappointed. Many had not been on NCL. The big problem is the main dining room. The food & service was very bad. You are almost forced to go to the paid restaurants to get good food & service. After the 3rd. day, many discovered this so you couldn't get into the paid restaurants til 9:00 - 9:30 because all the earlier reservations were taken up.

The rest of the staff was fine, but paying that kind of money for a cruise, food is a big part of it.

I think it is a multilevel type experience. There are some people that are miserable no matter where they are or what they are doing. I remember when I was doing tours in Yellowstone, there was this one guy from New Zealand that wanted me compare to everything to NZ, and he was miserable to boot. I think his wife even wanted to throw him in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. But after an hour, I focused on keeping the other people on my tour happy, ignored him and figured well 35 out of 36 isn’t bad. (His wife tipped me generously, I wonder how much I would of got if I pushed him into the canyon?) Some people there is just no pleasing. They could have the captain come over do a soft shoe while juggling 3 wine bottles and they will be upset the captain didn’t do it while juggling 4 and breathing fire.

I think the other challenge with opinions on cruise lines is the fact that your entire vacation is balled into one. If you go to a fixed destination, there maybe a plane ride a hotel and eating off site. Airlines loses your luggage, you are pissed at the air line. Food is cold you get annoyed at that restaurant, not at the airline or the hotel. The challenge for the cruise line is the brand image is typed into everything, the embarkation experience, the ride when out at sea, the service at the restaurants and the entertainment. Some of which is within the cruise lines control (food service, quality of entertainment) some of which is not (rough seas, civil unrest at ports). So one bad experience and it is very easy to associated it with the entire brand, even for the most positive of people!

While I don’t doubt that some people experience bad service, while others enjoy exemplary service, I think a lot of a persons vacation enjoyment can be derived from their own realm of experience and personality.

I was trying to quote Zamboni girl's post and I keep getting a bunch of code.

I have to agree with the *brand* comment she made. We go to one of the chain steakhouse's in the area. We stopped going to one in a hoity toity area of the county because it was almost like we bothering them just by walking in. It was too much trouble to do practically anything. I was at the point maybe they should show us where the soda machine was or where they were hiding the steak sauce and we would get what we needed ourselves. I have stated previously that we reward good service. I know people work hard and I personally know how hard it is to work with the public because I am a receptionist. When I walk in my office, any problems I am having stop right there and I *smile* anytime I answer the phone or greet someone. It's just the way it is because that is my job.

A few weeks ago, a new steakhouse opened near where we go to our Miata club meetings. We decided to try it and had the most fabulous server. He was so good, the next time requested him by name. Following that visit, I wrote a letter to the company praising him, the store and the company and told them that we had quit dining at their other store because of the bad experiences. Well they wrote me thanking me for the lovely letter and said they rarely heard the *positive*. I was glad I did it. So you do tend to *brand* the whole company, rather than the one place you are dealing with.

I also had to laugh at your New Zealand guy comment. I was just there last summer (their winter) and they were among the most pleasant people I have ever met! Everyone was just charming! We had a glorious time with friends that I *knew* from my Elton John chatroom days. I left wishing we could have spent a lot more time with them....maybe if they come here we will drag them off on a cruise. Anyway, your guy must have been the one bad one in the bunch.....too funny!!:p

My 2 cents.... I do think people go in with high expectations-- especially if they have paid big bucks. Some people are just extremely demanding. On the other hand-- there are times that things go wrong-- bad service, cabin problems, missed port. Come on-- is there ever a "bad" cruise? We have been on several NCL-- and 3 other lines as well. We are not exclusive to NCL-- but we like NCL.... have we ever had bad service in the main dining room? YES!! The Spirit in Alaska a couple years back... it was terrible one night.... did we complain... right away... and did so in a polite way. On NCL, if we do eat in the main dining room, and have great service the first night-- we request that waiter/s again and again.... and get good service the rest of cruise. I am curious to find out how many who complain on the "boards" here at CC actually complain while they are still "onboard". Almost every cruise we have been on-- we have been told repeatedly to tell them when something isnt right. The majority of every cruiseline's staff are friendly and polite-- of course you will find a few that maybe having a bad day or are just plain rude....

Is the glass half empty? Or is half full?:)

I am just looking for a relaxing time with acceptable food. I found DCL food alittle to fancy with names I couldn't pronounce. I'd be happy in the main dining rooms with food similiar to timberlodge, red lobster, applebees, maybe a tad better does this seem like a fair expectation?

On NCL, if we do eat in the main dining room, and have great service the first night-- we request that waiter/s again and again.... and get good service the rest of cruise.

That was actually our biggest complaint about the Dawn. We had a waitress that we really liked (we got her for lunch the first day), and in spite of requesting to be seated in her area for dinner, we were only able to get her about twice more during the cruise. When we asked if there was a table in her area, the hostess acted like we were making a totally unreasonable request. We would have been willing to come back later on the nights when her area was filled, but we weren't even offered that option.

Part of the problem was that we didn't receive nearly as good service from most the other waiters that we had done on other cruises. It was little things, like serving shrimp cocktail with no cocktail sauce (it happened 3 times) and not asking if we would like it, to running out of butter on the table, to issues with getting sodas (yes, we had soda cards) and once they came, not offering refills. It definitely didn't "ruin" our cruise, but it did detract from enjoying the same kind of dining experience that we've enjoyed on other NCL cruises.

I think it's all in the attitude, some people are just more negative than others. That's a shame. I think a better philosophy is to always make the best of it, otherwise life isn't as enjoyable. NCL's prices are very reasonable compared to other lines. I think it's a great experience for what you pay. I bet if these unhappy cruisers wrote a list of what they liked vs what they didn't, the positive would be a longer list! Life is what you make it...and so are vacations!

I have to disagree with you on this one as we are NOT at all negative people . ( I know it's not directed at us personally ) We always look for the best in people and situations and always give people a break..

I DO agree with you that NCL'S prices are very affordable ... Not an issue there at all BUT when you go on vacation with a very positive excited attitude and little by little things just aren't right it's hard to stay that positive. While we didn't at all let it ruin our recent Dawn Cruise we just weren't at all as happy as we were on NCL"S other ship we cruised on twice 2006 & 2007 ..

If you read my review you will see that I didn't write NCL off at all, I just would try another ship before the dawn.

I WILL agree with you that some people are just negative period... They go in looking for all the wrong things to find. I've seen/heard it. With us it was not our best cruise bottom line...and thats coming from positive , fun , happy (most of the time) people !!!

I think it's all in the attitude, some people are just more negative than others. That's a shame. I think a better philosophy is to always make the best of it, otherwise life isn't as enjoyable. NCL's prices are very reasonable compared to other lines. I think it's a great experience for what you pay. I bet if these unhappy cruisers wrote a list of what they liked vs what they didn't, the positive would be a longer list! Life is what you make it...and so are vacations!

// rant

I've noted an interesting thing as I've been reading these boards. There are a ton of post-cruise complainers. Often they have nothing nice to say about their cruise; even some who say they are experienced cruisers. I wonder if it's "halo" effect and something goes wrong early on and the person just goes off? Some are those posting are used to cruising in traditional ships and Freestyle doesn't appear to meet their needs.

But the thing I most notice is that apparently these post-cruise complainers for the most part do not do cruise reviews after their cruises. Now I don't mean none do. It's interesting to me to read those who give 2-ribbon reviews when others are giving 4-ribbon reviews for the same cruise. I wonder if they really sailed on the same ship?

Often it seems the complaint is poor food/service in the regular dining rooms. But then just as many praise their experience. I think that sometimes folks expect too much. I don't think luxury cruise foodie expectations are reasonable for cruise lines like NCL, even with the many and varied dining options.

The other thing I've noticed is that first-time cruisers far more often rate their cruise as exceptional. I wonder sometimes why so many folks' expectations change with experience?

Another thing I've noticed in these threads is the number of posts where folks are complaining about the rudeness of other cruisers, how they behave badly, or treat cruise staff poorly. I've never understood the mentality of folks who seem to have a sole purpose in life of making others miserable. How sad their lives must be. I'll be having the time of my life and won't have room for such folks' behavior to impact me negatively.

Here's my suggestion to those who let little irritants ruin their vacations. Just take a deep breath, see what you can do to bring the issue to light in a positive way. You know the cruise line and staff want you to have a good time. Happy passengers tip better (I know there's a service fee), cause less problems, and help keep the staff happier too. Deal with stuff in the moment. If your food isn't acceptable, let your server know and/or head waiter. Expect meals to take much longer on board. Take that time to talk with your cruise mates about the fantastic vacation you are having. Bring back great stories to tell your friends and extended families.

//end of rant

Great post, I have always felt, part of the veteran cruisers complaints have to with the same things you are saying. Could it be, the "awe" affect wears off after so many cruisers or experiences period. Take places like Vegas, after just so many trips it isn't the same, even Christmas loses some of its sparkle as we get older. This doesn't mean we don't enjoy ourselves, we do, but it just isn't quite the same...

With cruising, many of us forget we are paying no more and maybe less than we did 10, 15 or more years ago, no food isn't as good, nor is the service, but we certainly love the prices.

Nita

People can be on the same cruise and have completely different cruise experiences. On our recent Dawn cruise (10/26) we had a very enjoyable cruise while a couple of others from our roll call were disappointed. This could be due to the fact that some people enjoy "freestyle dining" while others prefer traditional dining. It's all a matter of personal preference. Cruise Critic encourages both positive and negative opinions. People can judge for themselves legitimate complaints from nitpicking.

NMNita - Thanks for expressing my thoughts....I truly believe you get what you pay for and how anyone can complain about much when the prices are so low. Two of us spent 12 days on Jade in the eastern Med in April at the height (or low) of the dollar's value and our total shipboard costs were under $2,400. I don't know of anywhere one can go and get room, board and drinks for $100 per day per person. Was it the height of dining? No. Did we occassionally have not the best service? Yes. Did we have a great time? ABSOLUTELY!

Clay

I think negative reviews are based on 3 different reasons: the poster is a negative type, it really was a bad cruise, or that cruiseline was a bad match for the cruiser.

I heard a funny story yesterday about a guy who booked his 85 yr old grandmother on HAL. She came back and told him never to do that again - the ship was full of old fuddy-duddies. She wanted to go out and have fun. Now she cruises on Carnival and it's a great match for her.

Since NCL's Freestye is so different from all the traditional dining products I can see how that's not a good match for a lot of people. It was perfect for us and now I'm sad it's not on all the lines.

Our last cruise was on Carnival. We got upgraded FOR FREE from a upper deck inside to a lower deck OV. I was so happy to have a window. It was such a great cruise I was just floating. At the end of the cruise while we were in line for immigration I heard the guy behind me in line complaining about his lousy cruise on his cell phone. He was saying the ship told him he was upgraded but how could it have been an upgrade if he went from an upper deck to down lower in the ship. Ha, we had the exact same experience and I thought it was a fabulous upgrade and he thought it was an insult. Funny!!

Everyone has made some really good points! I think some people do get "use" to something-- and it loses its awe affect..... but I don't know about you- every time we pull up to the dock in the taxi and I see our ship-- I can't help to smile!:) Sheesh! Sometimes all I need is to see a TV commercial for a cruise-- and I can't help but smile! There are some great NCL ones-- and RCCL has that theme song -- I will be doing something else-- and not watching-- but I hear the music-- and it just brings a smile to my face!:)

It does shock me how people complain about the food though-- my goodness-- there is no way you could eat out 3 plus meals a day and stay in a hotel, for the price we pay for a cruise... unless you planned on eating the dollar menu at McDonalds-- and stayed at Motel 6! Even then-- I am not sure if you could do it!

ute_fan: Sorry to hear about your experience. After the first night- we would ask the waiter, "Can we come tomorrow at such a such time?" They would tell us yes-- and go speak to the hostess-- who would write it down.... one day are plans changed-- so I made the effort to go by the dining room at lunch to tell the Maitre de.... We always got the same server and table for that matter... We had been told we could do this our very first NCL cruise.

It seems that some people act as if they are having to accept a substandard way of life if their every wish is not attended to RIGHT NOW. I think lots of people should just "get over themselves" and not consider a couple of inconveniences as dealbreakers. If things are better for you at home ---- I have a suggestion- stay home.

It seems that some people act as if they are having to accept a substandard way of life if their every wish is not attended to RIGHT NOW. I think lots of people should just "get over themselves" and not consider a couple of inconveniences as dealbreakers. If things are better for you at home ---- I have a suggestion- stay home.

Amen. It sure makes vacations a whole lot nicer to not have to hear someone complaining (usually very loudly) about some trivial matter. If the waiter forgot to refill your coffee, or your steward forgot to put the eggcrate on your mattress, call them and remind them politely. I'm sure they'd be happy to do it; I've never met any cruise-staff who said they wouldn't try to help me. However, if you think everything should be done fairytale perfect for you then you are living in a dreamworld and nobody can help you.

The title of this thread should be "Complaining about the complainers." :)

My view is that if you had a bad time, you should let it be known in a reasonable way, ditto if you had a good time.

A reasonable way is the important phrase here. Most negatives are not handled that way...

Nita

Great post, I have always felt, part of the veteran cruisers complaints have to with the same things you are saying. Could it be, the "awe" affect wears off after so many cruisers or experiences period. Take places like Vegas, after just so many trips it isn't the same, even Christmas loses some of its sparkle as we get older. This doesn't mean we don't enjoy ourselves, we do, but it just isn't quite the same...

With cruising, many of us forget we are paying no more and maybe less than we did 10, 15 or more years ago, no food isn't as good, nor is the service, but we certainly love the prices.

Nita

3 sayings worth remembering when we want cheap cruises:

Its very common for people to know the price of everything and the value of nothing

The quality remains long after the price is forgotten

There is nothing so cheaply and badly made that some other man cannot make it cheaper and worse

Who said these first ? - I've no idea, and I have no doubt misquoted them as well.

I am curious to find out how many who complain on the "boards" here at CC actually complain while they are still "onboard".

The cruise I went on to Canada in Sept, we were not pleased at all with our shore excursion. So we went to tell the desk about it after. Not much they could do about it after, but at least they have some customer feed back as to should they keep that excursion as a choice.

From my own work experience sometimes I sometimes here about complaints so late, or second hand I wanted to scream because a lot of times there was something I totally could have done about it had I been told earlier in the process.

That being said don’t think that every time you inform the desk of your dissatisfaction a free bottle of wine is coming your way. The last cruise I was on one woman was upset because she had to come up to the photo desk for a 3rd time, as they didn’t print her wallet sized photos. Mind you she went up once on her own to look at photos, the 2nd time to pick them up. Her reply “I have to come all the way up here again!!!" I am thinking in my head, the ship isn’t that big, where the heck are you going to get here? I think she was trying to score some freebies.

Bottom line I do my best to not the complainers ruin my time and I forward all comments POSITIVE and negative to the approrpiate people. Positive because oh so often good to great service is never commented on and it should be. And negative so action can be taken to improve the service.

My two cents...which I also shared with everyone on my last cruise (10/26 on the Dawn)

If you have a problem, tell someone... your room steward, reception, any one on staff.

I have always found that once NCL knows something is wrong they will do their very best to correct it. I know some things are beyond anyone's control, but please do not wait until you get home to complain, unless you have also complained on board and did not a suitable response.

A reasonable way is the important phrase here. Most negatives are not handled that way...

Nita

And I even dare to say that not only do we all have different expectations of our vacations, we also have different thresholds of what reasonable is!

I didn't have a bad time - we had a good time...... and I certainly didn't let the "irritants" get to me. But I might be one of those people that thought it was 2 star experience when there were certainly people on my same sailing that reported a 4 star experience. I don't think that's strange at all: people notice different things, place importance in different things - and we all run into parts of the ship, employees and activities that others never do. I think it's entirely possible to have a totally different experience than the next person on a ship, especially the big ones.

I actually have been feeling a kind of "duty" I guess to post my trip notes/review/report (whatever) because of the fact I was a little disappointed with my most recent trip. I have been wondering if part of the reason I was slightly disappointed is because there's too much good reported here, setting my expectations too high - since people that hang out on the different boards, tend to prefer that line and like it alot. So in a weird way I feel like I should report my negatives to balance it all out for future searchers. Am I making any sense? :confused:

And I haven't done it yet :o - frankly I get a little intimidated to say something besides YAY!

Archived