21 questions for your princess cruisers to answer.

Tess2mommies

Since I am going on my 1st cruise (Caribbean Princess 11/27/04) I certainly have no answers for u but wanted to tell you to have a great cruise and not worry about the small things. That is my intention. Nothing will spoil it for me.

You live in such a beautiful area. My brother/sister in law live in Lafayette so very familiar with Walnut Creek.

Don't let anything keep you from loving the heck out of your cruise.

Also, did you find your roll call so you can get acquainted with your cruisers?

Jay,

Enjoy your first cruise! I hope some of my questions may have answered any questions you may have had.

The great thing about Walnut Creek, is there is great shopping! The just put an apple store and a Tiffany's downtown. Although I probably won't be getting anything from Tiffany's for another 20 years!

I will try not to let anything ruin my cruise. I just like to be well informed and know what to expect and the odds of occurences. That way I know how to prepare myself in advance. I do not like surprises and I take caculated risk! Guess that's why I'm cut out to be a doctor, a neurosurgeon to be precise!

Nonetheless, I have found my roll call. I'm attempting to get it live and kicking. Maybe they will wake up a little closer to sailing. I sure hope so.

Happy sailing

Do you tip each time?

Do they send up the same person each time?

Can you sign for these tips or do I have to scramble for cash all the time?

I don't mind tipping but I would like to do it all at once instead of each meal - isn't that what a cruise is suppose to be - hassle free?

Hi Icebrat,

Yes you live in a lovely city! I have a life long friend that lives in Walnut Creek and we love to visit them.

We were just on the same itinerary last month on the Golden Princess from San Juan. While you have received some great replies to your questions I thought that I might add specific information in some areas.

10. I'm a Internet addict, does the golden have net access, I'm bringing my laptop. If so, how much will it dent the pocketbook?

I would recommend that you save dragging the laptop along as the Internet café is on deck 5 near the Pursers office. They have plenty, some 30 plus, high speed PCs set up and there is never a wait. Also there are three PCs attached to the web located in the library on deck 6. Access is never a problem! The cost is $.35 per minute, but I think you can ask the Purser for a package offer that they have only onboard.

11. How much do cabs cost from the airport in San Juan (SJU) to the pan American pier? Is the price per person or flat rate? Do they charge extra for luggage? Since we are staying a while after the cruise, we packed a lot of stuff! Interested in how much that will cost.

Specifically, the taxi will cost you $17.50 per party. This includes luggage; four or five suitcases are normal, especially if you travel with my wife! LOL.

Details for what it is worth. After you collect your suitcases from baggage claim at the San Juan airport; go outdoors to the curb. Look for a guy the looks like he is in charge of the taxis. He is the Taxi Captain! Ask him to get you a taxi to the destination that you need. He speaks fluent English and is responsible to get you to your destination. He is a government servant put in place by Puerto Rico to serve the tourist. He will mark the fee on a paper form that he gives you and the driver. Do not try to flag a taxi without the help of the taxi captain because they will not respond to you.

5. I'm really uncomfortable having my luggage set outside my door, is there a way avoid this?

Sorry, No Way. But, do not put your valuables in the luggage that you put out the last night of the cruise! Put that stuff in your carry-on, as you should for flying anyway!

Do not miss the Island Night party on the Aft of the ship during your cruise! It is the BEST that we have experienced on any ship in the fleet, and we have sailed them all!

Rod

Do you tip each time?

Do they send up the same person each time?

Can you sign for these tips or do I have to scramble for cash all the time?

I don't mind tipping but I would like to do it all at once instead of each meal - isn't that what a cruise is suppose to be - hassle free?

No, it won't be the same peson and yes, tip each time according to the order that you've placed. You cannot sign for a tip on room service that I know of. For example, if we order breakfast for 4 (we travel with kids), that's alot of food that they've got to deliver (and remove) so we give a substantiolly higher tip than if they just deliver 2 hamburgers.

Prior to our cruise, we go to the bank and request lots of small bills for tips throughout the cruise. Keep them accessible. Not sure how much more hassle-free this could be.

Prior to our cruise, we go to the bank and request lots of small bills for tips throughout the cruise. Keep them accessible. Not sure how much more hassle-free this could be.

well, hassle free would be to just tip at the end. I'll be in europe for 14 days prior to cruising so going to the bank is not as simple. But it is what it is:(

Thanks NHCruiser for the taxi captain advice. . .do they have a taxi line like in most US cities and airports? You commented to Icebrat that Walnut Creek, CA is a great area, well I think that New Hampshire is beautiful too!:) We recently moved to MI last year. . .I never thought that I would miss NH so much. . .we lived in Manchester, close to Auburn. Specifically miss the mountains, foliage, the beach, the ocean. . .:( . . .Anyway, thanks for the advice. . .

1-Once you are on the ship, you are on

2-Unsure of waitlist--we DID love traditional, but heard personal choice would show up at similar times each night, get same table/wait staff

3-You will look FABULOUS! (and many will not...)

4-Early cc on personalizer seems to help

5-Don't worry about suitcases outside door--everyone does it! But valuables in carry-on, which you will put in room yourself.

6-My mom had partial obstructed that really wasn't...crapshoot here

7-white space is crew space, no worry, you won't even notice

8-We had same--they can be pushed together if you want

9-Pic packages or separate

10-Internet .35-$2/minute

11-DK about San Juan

12-Feel free to bring on wine, beer, pop, water, (booze in water bottles...but you can order liters for reasonable price to have in room)

13-room service free--have cash tip

14-Brochures will arrive 2-4 weeks ahead to order flowers, booze, etc.

15-yes, MIL bought us all emerald necklaces/earrings somewhere there

16-smart casual--tanks, polos, shorts, capris

17-I was rarely chilled, and wore sleeveless all week. Where it twice--I have NO idea what my tablemates wore (and usually I notice such things!)

18-Yes, jeans OK (some even wore to dinner...)

19-I didn't see a reason to put $100 down to get a $25 credit...

20-think "drive-in" movie while sitting at the pool

21-Star in Caribbean had a NICE 20 something population. You will have a blast!!

Happy cruising!

Kristin

Guess you can get off...but why? you will want to check everything out!

forgot about soda. soda card was $22.50/7days. worth it. Even got dh one w/ it. It is Coke products, so he brought on Mountain Dew. Juice at buffet or dining room.

Kristin

I gave you resort casual (daytime).

Smart casual, DH wore khakis and nice S/S shirt, I wore nice dress or pantsuit.

I didn't think I would buy pics, but many were very good, especially formal portrait, and where could we get that for $20??!! Plus, loved one of dining tablemates, and a few at ports. 8x10 $20 6x8 $10. You won't regret it.

BE sure to put all film in carry on, NOT checked luggage. Luckily had digital, but waterproof camera was in checked luggage...not sure if they are OK or not....

HAVE FUN!

Kristin

Hey Icebrat001, my partner and I live in Walnut Creek also (Tice Valley). Let us know how you like the CP. We're sailing on the Dawn, Southern Caribbean on 2/28 and are always looking for our next cruise. I enjoy hearing what everyone says so I have an idea what to expect.

Wow another person from Walnut Creek! That makes two. I've seen someone from Pittsburg and danville. Nonetheless, while I probably won't be doing any live updates unless I cough up the money or my SO allows me to go use the net on a port, which I doubt, I won't get any reports up till I get to the hotel post cruise. I''ll be sure to let you know how things are, and how it was us be being an

"alternative" lifestyle. Although I hear, it's no problem at all, because princess cruisers are great!

KKB,

Thanks for the tip on film, although I haven't used a regular camera for at least 5 years. I will be bringing the digital camera and it will be in our carryon luggage along with other spiffy gadgets, thanks for the tip.

As far as the smart casual thing goes, I'll be wearing dresses and my SO will probably wear the same or slacks and a shirt.

Thanks again

Archived