Peanut Allergy and Spa Prices

novaten

Hello Everyone- I will be on the Eurodam for the Thanksgiving week cruise with my extended family. It's a first cruise for many in my family! My niece (9 years old) is allergic to peanuts. I know my sister filled out a form from HAL, but does anyone have any experience with how the staff/chef's are with this request. She is highly allergic and gets nervous about trusting that foods are really "nut free"

Other question- does anyone know prices for pedicures and facials- or if they worth it?

Thanks in advance!

We can't wait for this family trip.

Novaten,

I am allergic to Onions and have always informed the dining room staff on the first day. After that they have given me the evening menu's for the next day prior to us leaving the dining room. We have had no problems.

In the Lido, I ask the staff to check and if they do not know I ask them to get someone who does know. I have had no problems here either.

I now the peanuts and onions are different allergies but I believe you should not have a problem as long as it is made known that she has allergies.

Peanut allergy is so common these days, I am sure the Chefs and Stewards are very accustomed to accomodating those who suffer thart allergy.

Of course, Mom's usual vigilance is always in order.

Have a great cruise.

Our 14yr DD is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She has had no problems with avoiding these on the Volendam and Westerdam. She knows to ask about nuts.

We travel with another family whose DS is allergic to chocolate and shellfish, also no problems.

I would recommend for you to bring an Epipen if she has one.

Also, Club HAL should have a form to fill out advising them as to what foods should be avoided.

Hello Everyone- I will be on the Eurodam for the Thanksgiving week cruise with my extended family. It's a first cruise for many in my family! My niece (9 years old) is allergic to peanuts. I know my sister filled out a form from HAL, but does anyone have any experience with how the staff/chef's are with this request. She is highly allergic and gets nervous about trusting that foods are really "nut free"

Other question- does anyone know prices for pedicures and facials- or if they worth it?

Thanks in advance!

We can't wait for this family trip.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Please join our Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621006

Be sure to let Club Hal know--write and repeat--and find out what they will be passing around as treats. My two are also peanut-tree-nut-allergic. They have managed to make it to adulthood--but we all do our due diligence--eat straight-forward foods, stay away from anything fried, asian, indonesian (satays), some mexican and s. american foods and drinks have "stealth" nuts. Watch out for nut oils; almond paste-marzipan-or ground-nut fillings in desserts and pastries. Read menus carefully-and still be alert because when you are working with speakers of english as a foreign language-on board or in port-you do not always get the same answer twice! In new restaurants, the boys stick to basic foods or safe cuisines like Italian, French, Spanish where not a lot of nuts are used in basic prep. Knock on wood--20 years of cruising and no problems, even as small children! Wish you well! Have a great time.

The manicures on Westerdam are very good ... a young lady named Mellissa did them during our Oct 1-16 cruise.

One thing: if you bring your own nail color (I like OPI lacquer in a certain color),also bring your own base coat and top coat for the tech to use. I didn't, and my nails turned reddish ... apparently the base coat used onboard wasn't compatible with the OPI color. And the top coat caused the OPI color to streak.

When I had my second manicure onboard, I brought my own base & top coats and had no problem.

Can't speak about the pedicures, because I never have them done professionally ... I'm certain the HAL pedicure bowls are clean, but I've read too many stories ...

There are discounts on salon services on most port days.

Archived