What are your favorite souvenirs?

shofer

I always wondered what people consider to be a premier souvenier. Here are my choices:

Great spices from some islands, vanilla and silver from Mexico and of course, the Christmas ornaments from every vacation we have ever taken, including all the cruises. My very large tree is getting very full. On our previous Princess cruise, I bought a great shirt w/appliqués and beads from the boutique on the ship and get lots of compliments on it.

In Costa Rica, we bought the 1820 coffee in a grocery store for about $2.50/lb. We brought that home for the adult children. Much better than t-shirts which they don't want or need. I also purchased a diamond and tanzanite ring in St Thomas one year. On 2 trips to Hawaii got a Tahitian black pearl slide and a gold pineapple pendant. Until I started this, did not think about all the stuff I have acquired because of cruising

Several years ago, we decided that we would buy small (6" x 9") hand painted (& signed) art works depicting where ever we are. I framed them in metal frames of different colors and they hang in an appropriate area in our great room. It's really nice to revisit Hong Kong, Bermuda, London, New Orleans, Singapore, Key West and others when we look at them everyday.

As for what I get others...I just found 2 cashmere scarves from England and 3 silk scarves in a drawer that I must have purchased several years ago for gifts. Shows you what I do with them.

Bobbie

We are going to Alaska and I plan to get some of those work boots that everyone wears up there, I'm the practical type. I'll definately shop for some native art but unless I find something I really love, I probably won't buy. I rarely buy souveniers, my house is small and I have way to much stuff as it is. I'd rather spend money on shore excursions and treats on the ship!

For my housesitter, I give gift certificates for local resturants. That is something everyone seems to appreciate!

My most prized are the photos we take...they will last a lifetime (Not so long now anymore...) In Costa Rica we bought coffee 17 bags for ourselves and gifts at the plantation we toured to...one of the few really good ships tours we've been on. Since we've discovered a website to purchase similar coffee online (no shipping $$ sometimes and I buy then, for less than we paid there!) Never expensive items like Rugs or Emeralds. In Tahiti We bought a real black pearl (from local flea market style shop), real meaning one not cultured by adding a bead into the oyster shell. It was very large and irregular.(baroque)..and when we had it made into a necklace here at home, the jeweler went gaga over it. Paid a fraction of what a perfect cultured one would.

i always wondered what people consider to be a premier souvenier. Here are my choices:

Great spices from some islands, vanilla and silver from mexico and of course, the christmas ornaments from every vacation we have ever taken, including all the cruises. My very large tree is getting very full. On our previous princess cruise, i bought a great shirt w/appliqués and beads from the boutique on the ship and get lots of compliments on it.

In costa rica, we bought the 1820 coffee in a grocery store for about $2.50/lb. We brought that home for the adult children. Much better than t-shirts which they don't want or need. I also purchased a diamond and tanzanite ring in st thomas one year. On 2 trips to hawaii got a tahitian black pearl slide and a gold pineapple pendant. Until i started this, did not think about all the stuff i have acquired because of cruising

I collect tshirts

I have a colection form every port country city reastruant that i have bean to

every day when i meet with my frends for breakfast i whare a diffrent shirt

many times they now coment what shirt are you going to whare today

just returning from washington,d.c and have a new shirt

stur dayton,ohio

Caribbean cruise...

Rum swizzle mix, Hortons black rum cake, Outerbridge fish chowder,Outerbridge bloody mary fix, magnet, glass factory necklace, sm. poster butterfly farm & postcards, Bahams straw purse, Coach wristlet purse, & last but not least a 10 lb wheel of Gouda cheese!

I was just in Aruba and had to get some of the Dutch imported Gouda. I wanted a 10# wheel but it just was too much for my luggage so had to settle for 1 lb instead. Some cool t-shirts for the big boys and a very cute silver sandal necklace for the big girls.

Archived