Will the bad economy help or hurt Cruizin?

WinnipegCruiser

If this would be your first cruise, then you might opt to go on land instead because it SEEMS cheaper.;) However, those of us who have been cruising have figured out that it's just as cheap or cheaper than a hotel stay somewhere for the same amount of time and it's all inclusive, not to mention the fact that you wake up in a different place to explore about every other day if not more(and you didn't have to drive). We went on a land based vacation this year and we spent pretty near what we spend on a cruise. SOOOOO, no, I don't think it will hurt the industry much unless people start losing their jobs, and then they can't go on ANY vacation.:eek:

If this would be your first cruise, then you might opt to go on land instead because it SEEMS cheaper.;) However, those of us who have been cruising have figured out that it's just as cheap or cheaper than a hotel stay somewhere for the same amount of time and it's all inclusive, not to mention the fact that you wake up in a different place to explore about every other day if not more(and you didn't have to drive). We went on a land based vacation this year and we spent pretty near what we spend on a cruise. SOOOOO, no, I don't think it will hurt the industry much unless people start losing their jobs, and then they can't go on ANY vacation.:eek:

Certainly not my first cruise, and I agree with you completely about the all inclusive nature of cruising. I have been telling my in-laws about that for years. They go to Vegas for a week about 4 times a year. It costs them almost 1.5 times what it would cost for a week long cruise. Sure the room is cheap (they get a 'special rate'), but the food and entertainment kills them.

With the economy the way it is (and even before this fiasco) folks would place deposits and such on their Charge Cards. I hope that you've been reading your statements lately. Some are now charging $10 a month ($120 a year) just as a service charge to have them in your pocket. Others are upping the interest rates (even if you've never had a problem), while others are changing the monthly minimum payment from 2% to 5% of the balance. Then you have some with "all of the above"! The "opt out" options are "pay off the monthly bill" and "cancel" the account or pay, pay and more pay. It looks like credit cards are "forcing" folks to go "cash only". I wonder how the cruise lines are going to deal with this attack as booking a cruise and paying it off as you go, is no longer an option. What will we have to do, bring a blank check with you as you board? This is getting to be a bit much because the banks got themselves into this situation in the first place. :confused:

With the economy the way it is (and even before this fiasco) folks would place deposits and such on their Charge Cards. I hope that you've been reading your statements lately. Some are now charging $10 a month ($120 a year) just as a service charge to have them in your pocket. Others are upping the interest rates (even if you've never had a problem), while others are changing the monthly minimum payment from 2% to 5% of the balance. Then you have some with "all of the above"! The "opt out" options are "pay off the monthly bill" and "cancel" the account or pay, pay and more pay. It looks like credit cards are "forcing" folks to go "cash only". I wonder how the cruise lines are going to deal with this attack as booking a cruise and paying it off as you go, is no longer an option. What will we have to do, bring a blank check with you as you board? This is getting to be a bit much because the banks got themselves into this situation in the first place. :confused:

People will have to do what we had to do years ago. Stop using credit or pay it off the same month. It is really smarter to save up the money in advance in a savings account, and then use the credit card on the cruise and pay it off once you get home. You get to collect the interest instead of pay it. We only use 1 gas card (paid off monthly) and a debit card now during the year, and although we give Carnival a credit card, we pay it off as soon as the first bill comes.

I received an Email for a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise RT our of Ft. Lauderdale. $599.

On the Queen Mary II.

After the 9-11-2001 attacks, travel fell to near zero and prices fell along with the reduced cruising. The low prices were nice, but a dozen very nice little boutique cruise lines went out of business. They used a lot of old ship-type ships, rather than slab sided floating hotels. So they were a different experience. Plus their food and service were good which influenced the large cruiselines to maintain high levels of food and service, while keeping prices down.

Dan

People will have to do what we had to do years ago. Stop using credit or pay it off the same month. It is really smarter to save up the money in advance in a savings account, and then use the credit card on the cruise and pay it off once you get home. You get to collect the interest instead of pay it. We only use 1 gas card (paid off monthly) and a debit card now during the year, and although we give Carnival a credit card, we pay it off as soon as the first bill comes.

Very true Linda. However, some folks aren't in the same situation as you are (which is commendable). What gets me is that some cards will now charge $10 monthly, just to have it in your pocket and cruise lines don't accept gas cards or debit cards. This all is going to interesting in the months or years to come. Don't forget, the cruise lines need to fill up the boat and the majority of cruisers don't have the means to flip out $2000+. I wonder how that's going to be accomplished without credit cards.

We got into this mess because people lived beyond their means and greedy financial institutions and politicians took advantage. It may be a new dawn where we don't go back to the days when you could buy what ever you wanted and then try and pay it off. People wanted change.....and some of the change may not be what people expected.

We got into this mess because people lived beyond their means and greedy financial institutions and politicians took advantage. It may be a new dawn where we don't go back to the days when you could buy what ever you wanted and then try and pay it off. People wanted change.....and some of the change may not be what people expected.

This is what I was trying to say. I was caught in the last "recession". We had a lot of credit card debt that we couldn't pay when I lost my job. We learned then. Save up for your cruise. I still have credit cards. I just don't use them except in emergencies or when we cruise. If you can't pay for it, you learn to do without until you can.

Kind of Strange, Carnival has raised the cruise price of my short 4 Night New England / Canada cruise twice in the last two weeks for my cruise late Next summer. That's 10 months away and I have watched the Balcony Category's VERY close and don't see any of those selling ? Does not see the economy is worrying Carnival for this cruise. :eek: :D

Kind of Strange, Carnival has raised the cruise price of my short 4 Night New England / Canada cruise twice in the last two weeks for my cruise late Next summer. That's 10 months away and I have watched the Balcony Category's VERY close and don't see any of those selling ? Does not see the economy is worrying Carnival for this cruise. :eek: :D

I would guess they have a series of check dates for each sailing. If a certain percentage of cabins have sold by each check, the price could remain stable, more sales and it could rise or fewer sales and it could drop.

Just a guess.

Dan

Very true Linda. However, some folks aren't in the same situation as you are (which is commendable). What gets me is that some cards will now charge $10 monthly, just to have it in your pocket and cruise lines don't accept gas cards or debit cards. This all is going to interesting in the months or years to come. Don't forget, the cruise lines need to fill up the boat and the majority of cruisers don't have the means to flip out $2000+. I wonder how that's going to be accomplished without credit cards.

Carnival accepted my Mastercard Debit card,,,,no problem,,,Holly

They accept debit cards (not visa gift cards) as long as your name is imprinted on them :)

OPINIONS?

If less people are cruising, maybe the prices will go down to help fill the ships? Maybe there will be less ships in ports? Less people at ports might mean lower prices for excursions?

Is the economy making you think twice about booking?

First, if less people take vacations and trips then the cruise lines would probably start to discount trips. As for the economy making me think twice about booking a cruise? I'm already booked for next year.

They accept debit cards (not visa gift cards) as long as your name is imprinted on them :)

Sorry about that as I was refering to checking in for your cruise and how they place a pre-authorized amount on a credit card for your on-board cruise account. They do accept deposits and final payments utilizing your debit card but Princess, HAL, RCCL & NCL won't for the "onboard cruise account" that you set up upon boarding (I'm not sure about CCL though). It's all over the news how credit card companies are raising interest rates for no reason what-so-ever. New York is trying to establish a law against it as even "responsible folks" are getting hit up. While mortage interest is being adjusted down for some (who can't pay their mortgage), now others that are responsible are getting nailed. Probably as an attempt to recoup their numerous mortgage losses. We can't win for losing anymore! :(

Archived