Advice needed - Dry Pak Camera Case??

YoPhilly

I usually buy disposable underwater cameras to use while snorkeling, but the quality is always grainy and dull. I'm not ready to invest in serious underwater camera gear, so I thought I'd try this Dry Pak case over my regular digital camera:

http://www.ebags.com/dry_pak/camera_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=80267

Has anyone had any experience with these bags? Or a similar brand? Can I trust that the bag will not leak and ruin my camera?

I usually buy disposable underwater cameras to use while snorkeling, but the quality is always grainy and dull. I'm not ready to invest in serious underwater camera gear, so I thought I'd try this Dry Pak case over my regular digital camera:

http://www.ebags.com/dry_pak/camera_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=80267

Has anyone had any experience with these bags? Or a similar brand? Can I trust that the bag will not leak and ruin my camera?

Similar to Aquapak. Most reviewers agree that it's a good way to dispose of a camera when you want to get a new one.

Sorry, but I've never heard any good news about them for snorkeling. Ok for dodging a rain or dust storm in an emergency.

Dave

Similar to Aquapak. Most reviewers agree that it's a good way to dispose of a camera when you want to get a new one.

Love it!!!:D

If I did decide to buy an underwater camera, can you give me some relatively inexpensive recommendations for a once-a-year snorkeling? And a question about cases - I've read posts that mention specific cases - are they designed to fit just one camera?

Love it!!!:D

If I did decide to buy an underwater camera, can you give me some relatively inexpensive recommendations for a once-a-year snorkeling? And a question about cases - I've read posts that mention specific cases - are they designed to fit just one camera?

I have a little Canon SD800 for my 24x7 camera and I bought the Canon dedicated hard case for it. At $170, it was a tough choice since I am also a very occasional snorkeler. After receiving it, I was very impressed with the build and access to the camera controls. I realized that in addition to secure underwater use, it is great for any ugly or risky (to a camera) conditions like rain, dust, beach, etc.. A Canon "A" or "SD" series camera can be picked up for $200 - $350 and the case for A little less. Having the case for once-a year is a bit of a luxury, but it was worth it for me. Especially since it's also a foul-weather cover.

Another option it the Olympus Stylus SW series. They are waterproof to 10 to 33 ft. depending on the model and require no case. They run in the high $200s to low $300s and are pretty well reviewed.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I have a little Canon SD800 for my 24x7 camera and I bought the Canon dedicated hard case for it. At $170, it was a tough choice since I am also a very occasional snorkeler. After receiving it, I was very impressed with the build and access to the camera controls. I realized that in addition to secure underwater use, it is great for any ugly or risky (to a camera) conditions like rain, dust, beach, etc.. A Canon "A" or "SD" series camera can be picked up for $200 - $350 and the case for A little less. Having the case for once-a year is a bit of a luxury, but it was worth it for me. Especially since it's also a foul-weather cover.

Another option it the Olympus Stylus SW series. They are waterproof to 10 to 33 ft. depending on the model and require no case. They run in the high $200s to low $300s and are pretty well reviewed.

Hope this helps.

Dave

So the Canon itself is not waterproof - you need the case. The Olympus IS waterproof - no case needed.

I'll check them out. Thanks Dave.

BTW, do you think there's much savings by buying duty free in the Caribbean? (Since I'll be there.)

So the Canon itself is not waterproof - you need the case. The Olympus IS waterproof - no case needed.

I'll check them out. Thanks Dave.

BTW, do you think there's much savings by buying duty free in the Caribbean? (Since I'll be there.)

Less that there used to be. You also have to watch out for grey market items that do not carry a USA warranty. (Same items, same quality, but USA service centers won't accept an international warranty for repairs).

You also have to consider that half of the vacation you want to photograph may be gone before you have your new camera!

Reliable discount sellers like B&H Photo, Adorama, and Amazon have lessened the appeal of caribbean sales. Even Costco and Sam's Club can be sources of great deals if they have the model you want.

Dave

Less that there used to be. You also have to watch out for grey market items that do not carry a USA warranty. (Same items, same quality, but USA service centers won't accept an international warranty for repairs).

You also have to consider that half of the vacation you want to photograph may be gone before you have your new camera!

Reliable discount sellers like B&H Photo, Adorama, and Amazon have lessened the appeal of caribbean sales. Even Costco and Sam's Club can be sources of great deals if they have the model you want.

Dave

Good point. Thanks again.

Archived