Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

It is a bit risky to work through travel agents - they like to charge you as early as possible and pay the line as late as possible (naturally trying to maximize their use of your funds). If they go under before the line confirms receipt of payment, you can be at risk. While they might be able to find you somewhat better pricing, you can usually do as well yourself by calling around - following up, asking to speak to supervisor, etc. Particularly now, with many small businesses on the brink, it may be a good idea to eliminate as many middlemen as possible and deal direct with the provider (of whatever service) yourself.

I've never used a T/A, online or B&M, who charged my card. Whatever service they are providing, the charge is always made by the cruise or tour company. I don't think I'd work with one who did it any other way.

btw, our friends say that their AmEx bill shows the transactions are with HAL, not this agency.

I have a cruise booked through this TA and final payment was made last week, and directly to the travel company (not a HAL cruise), so I am OK.

I was suspicious after someone on this bb posted about this agency charging to themselves and then paying the cruise line. This happened to me on a HAL cruise this summer and I was told this was the way the group booking was handled (to get the group price). So, the next cruise was direct with HAL, but a deposit had already been made last year for a cruise next year. So, I had it in writing that they were only authorized to pay the travel company directly, which they did.

I did call the consortium, who didn't know about this (yet) and they took my number. The travel company handling my Antarctic cruise is taking over my booking and I will send them the confirmation information from the TA who is gone. They told me not to worry, they have my money.

It is a bit risky to work through travel agents - they like to charge you as early as possible and pay the line as late as possible (naturally trying to maximize their use of your funds). If they go under before the line confirms receipt of payment, you can be at risk. While they might be able to find you somewhat better pricing, you can usually do as well yourself by calling around - following up, asking to speak to supervisor, etc. Particularly now, with many small businesses on the brink, it may be a good idea to eliminate as many middlemen as possible and deal direct with the provider (of whatever service) yourself.[/quote]

Yes, but anyone can go down, even the original provider. :eek:

" can do this, but can someone explain why I need to? I'm paid in full, have new docs on the way, and waiting on a guarantee to be assigned. "

I don't know why you'd need to, at this date. as long as HAL has your money and you have your docs, you should be fine.

A question for those who've used this agency--our dear friends have two upcoming cruises booked through them. She can't reach her husband right now and she's concerned about the insurance they purchased through the agency--they purchased it at time of deposit because of a pre-existing condition. I told her that any agency I've dealt with uses a third party insurance and the docs should have come separately--did any of you purchase your insurance through this agency, and do you know what company issued the policy?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Des

We purchased insurance through the agency with ITravelinsured (iTI) before we knew we could do better on our own. They sent us a separate document showing we are covered.

" can do this, but can someone explain why I need to? I'm paid in full, have new docs on the way, and waiting on a guarantee to be assigned. "

I don't know why you'd need to, at this date. as long as HAL has your money and you have your docs, you should be fine.

A question for those who've used this agency--our dear friends have two upcoming cruises booked through them. She can't reach her husband right now and she's concerned about the insurance they purchased through the agency--they purchased it at time of deposit because of a pre-existing condition. I told her that any agency I've dealt with uses a third party insurance and the docs should have come separately--did any of you purchase your insurance through this agency, and do you know what company issued the policy?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Des

Des, your friend needs to check their credit card asap and see if thre charge was to the agency or to HAL or other cruiseline. They than need to call HAL and confirm they are paid.

I noticed they started advertising "Itravel" insurance on almost every cruise (instead of OBC). You need to call the insurance company to see if it has been paid.

If the trips are not paid in full yet, they can still purchase CSA Luxe or HTH at final and they cover pre-existing conditioms.

It is a bit risky to work through travel agents - they like to charge you as early as possible and pay the line as late as possible (naturally trying to maximize their use of your funds). If they go under before the line confirms receipt of payment, you can be at risk. While they might be able to find you somewhat better pricing, you can usually do as well yourself by calling around - following up, asking to speak to supervisor, etc. Particularly now, with many small businesses on the brink, it may be a good idea to eliminate as many middlemen as possible and deal direct with the provider (of whatever service) yourself.

Unless of course you work with a reputable agency who doesn't charge your credit card themselves, they process it with the cruiseline directly.

Before becoming a TA, I would not book with a company if they were the ones charging my card. Too many chances of bad things happening.

Des, your friend needs to check their credit card asap and see if thre charge was to the agency or to HAL or other cruiseline. They than need to call HAL and confirm they are paid.

I noticed they started advertising "Itravel" insurance on almost every cruise (instead of OBC). You need to call the insurance company to see if it has been paid.

If the trips are not paid in full yet, they can still purchase CSA Luxe or HTH at final and they cover pre-existing conditioms.

their cruise was charged directly by HAL. The insurance was purchased through this agency--I'll pass along the info for ITravel and tell her to dig around her files for the policy sent from the insurance company. Final payment was made two weeks ago so they really want to get the insurance situation straightened out.

thanks for everyone's responses

drbees,

I was very careful not to mention the name of the agency. The other CC thread was pulled because the OP gave the name of the agency. Now this one will probably be pulled too. :(

it is very important we don't mention names of agencies for any reason on these boards, we see threads pulled all the time for mentioning company names...

It is scary to think a company went under, but this isn't the case with most agencies. I think right now many are holding their own... I think the online, heavily discounted agencies might be cutting too much. You can only discount so much before you find yourself without enough revenue to keep going...

Nita

It is interesting to note that this agency is no longer listed on Cruise Critic. I wonder if the moderators would tell us when it was pulled/they stopped paying the ad? That would have been a clue.

I also noticed that the FL agency (the one that ever had a phone number) is no longer listed either.

Most of us know to never permit a TA to process the funds through their own business. We only authorize a charge made to our credit card directly by HAL only. I have always instructed every TA that if any charge should ever be put through by them, I will cancel it with the credit card company and threaten action..... they cannot charge your card without your authority.

If you pay in cash, good luck!

it is very important we don't mention names of agencies for any reason on these boards, we see threads pulled all the time for mentioning company names...

It is scary to think a company went under, but this isn't the case with most agencies. I think right now many are holding their own... I think the online, heavily discounted agencies might be cutting too much. You can only discount so much before you find yourself without enough revenue to keep going...

Nita

TA's are folding daily all over the country. Mine went down the tubes after over 30+ years in the business.c

I was very fortunate I sensed things were not good and I stopped making new bookings with them and only finished up cruises we had already booked. They folded about 9 months or so after we did our last business with them. I'm glad I trusted my instincts and pulled our business. (I'm sure they would have finished off honorably with us but who needed the aggravation?!!)

Hal told me to fax a note explaining the situation to the world cruise reservations center (206-281-0627) and HAL will move the booking.

I can do this, but can someone explain why I need to? I'm paid in full, have new docs on the way, and waiting on a guarantee to be assigned.

If it is easy to send the fax, I would move the booking to HAL for peace of mind. You may have other issues with your booking before your departure date and would know that you just have to make one call. In this case it is just a precaution I would take. Cherie

Most of us know to never permit a TA to process the funds through their own business. We only authorize a charge made to our credit card directly by HAL only. I have always instructed every TA that if any charge should ever be put through by them, I will cancel it with the credit card company and threaten action..... they cannot charge your card without your authority.

If you pay in cash, good luck!

good advise, good agencies prefer Credit Cards (it is easier) and they always apply payments to the vendor, not the agency direct....Credit cards protect the comsumer and make it easier for the travel companies.

Nita

The only problem people will find is that this agency was under pricing HAL and I doubt HAL will just give the discounted prices. There will be more problems for those on Celebrity/RCCL since this cruise line does not allow discounting. I know of people who were promised rebate checks when they returned even though Celebrity does not allow discounting.

It is a bit risky to work through travel agents - they like to charge you as early as possible and pay the line as late as possible (naturally trying to maximize their use of your funds). If they go under before the line confirms receipt of payment, you can be at risk. While they might be able to find you somewhat better pricing, you can usually do as well yourself by calling around - following up, asking to speak to supervisor, etc. Particularly now, with many small businesses on the brink, it may be a good idea to eliminate as many middlemen as possible and deal direct with the provider (of whatever service) yourself.[/quote]

Yes, but anyone can go down, even the original provider. :eek:

I'm sure many here remember when Rennaissance Cruise Line went under.

HAL /Carnival are as solid as solid can be! Mr. Arison will steer his ships through this storm and come out fine the other side. He isn't so massively successful because is not an able business person. He learned well at his father's knee....... talk about a brilliant businessman!! Who could have conceived what he did?? Carnival Corporation and all it has grown to.

Where are you getting that idea. Travel agents only set final payment up a week or so sooner than the vendors to make sure everything is in and nothing goes wrong. They do not keep any money (or the better ones don't) payments go directly to the vendor, be it a cruise line or land vacation...You give the company permission to charge your credit card, the payment is never seen by the agency, it is either called in or entered in a system directly to the vendor and a conformation is generated at that very minute...

Choosing to do business directly with the vendor is fine and your choice, but not for the reason you just gave...

Nita

I had a similar issue with a different TA (Florida based) that had me very uncomfortable for a time. First the TA double charged my deposit once to HAL and once to the agency. When I called they said I would be credited. After a week the credit hadn't shown up, I contested the charge with the card company. It took over two months for them to finally issue the credit. Then they charged the final payment to be paid to the agency, rather than HAL. When I called to question this, they said that since I was in a group booking they cut a single check to HAL for the group. Still on the HAL website, I was unable to print the signature boarding pass because the booking wasn't paid in full. I called the agency again, and was told that final payment had been made to HAL, but HAL had to distribute the payment to each reservation in the goup. It was a month after final payment that I finally was able to print the boarding pass, and I received my docs.

Needless to say, I was very nervous despite verbal and emailed assurances from the agency that all was normal. I'll be looking for a different agency for my next cruise. While it may be standard practice for some agencies to charge you, then pay HAL, in the past, I've always had the agency charge to the cruise line. :(

and they should charge the cruise line, if they are not, run, don't walk to another company.

The only problem people will find is that this agency was under pricing HAL and I doubt HAL will just give the discounted prices. There will be more problems for those on Celebrity/RCCL since this cruise line does not allow discounting. I know of people who were promised rebate checks when they returned even though Celebrity does not allow discounting.

I guess my lack of knowledge regarding moving a booking is evident. I did not know that if you move your booking to HAL they will adjust the price. I guess you could check the HAL website to see if their price is competitive or might have even gone down since you booked. Cherie

I'm sure many here remember when Rennaissance Cruise Line went under.

HAL /Carnival are as solid as solid can be! Mr. Arison will steer his ships through this storm and come out fine the other side. He isn't so massively successful because is not an able business person. He learned well at his father's knee....... talk about a brilliant businessman!! Who could have conceived what he did?? Carnival Corporation and all it has grown to.

I wasn't referring to a cruise line in particular, as the other poster had said a general statement to do things directly with ANYONE and cut out the middle man. I was just stating anyone could go out of business.

Where are you getting that idea. Travel agents only set final payment up a week or so sooner than the vendors to make sure everything is in and nothing goes wrong. They do not keep any money (or the better ones don't) payments go directly to the vendor, be it a cruise line or land vacation...You give the company permission to charge your credit card, the payment is never seen by the agency, it is either called in or entered in a system directly to the vendor and a conformation is generated at that very minute...

Choosing to do business directly with the vendor is fine and your choice, but not for the reason you just gave...

Nita

Nita, the agency in question charged my credit card directly to them for final payment a couple cruises ago. I was NOT happy. The payments had always been directly to HAL. HAL confirmed that some group bookings are done this way. Plus, a year ago someone at HAL told me they were reputable and one of their biggest agents. By that point I had confirmed that HAL had gotten my money, so I went with it. Plus it was a large savings. The next cruise stayed with HAL. This last one was with another company, and I got it in writing that payment was to be made direct to the company. I was so uneasy that I called my credit card company twice two weekends ago to say payment can only go to company x and not TA y.

This was after a regular on this bb posted about this over the summer. I wish someone could find that older post. I think it was on this bb. The only other one may have been Ask a Cruise question.

I wasn't referring to a cruise line in particular, as the other poster had said a general statement to do things directly with ANYONE and cut out the middle man. I was just stating anyone could go out of business.

Yes, that is understood.

I presented an example.

Nita, the agency in question charged my credit card directly to them for final payment a couple cruises ago. I was NOT happy. The payments had always been directly to HAL. HAL confirmed that some group bookings are done this way. Plus, a year ago someone at HAL told me they were reputable and one of their biggest agents. By that point I had confirmed that HAL had gotten my money, so I went with it. Plus it was a large savings. The next cruise stayed with HAL. This last one was with another company. and I got it in writing that payment was to be made direct to the company. I was so uneasy that I called my credit card company twice two weekends ago tosay payment can only go to company x and not TA y.

This was after a regular on this bb posted about this over the summer. I wish someone could find that older post. I think it was on this bb. The only other one may have been Ask a Cruise question.

I remember that and also remember you were not happy about it. I totally agreed. I would not permit a TA to charge my trip in any fashion except directly to the provider.

Your Antartica trip seems an exception. You had little choice.

Archived