Notifying our credit card company we'll be out of the country???

farjar

Does anyone notify their credit card company that they will be using their cards out of the country? I was just wondering if the credit card company might get suspicious of sudden foreign charges appearing on our bill. I would hate for them to flag or cancel our card while we're sailing and they weren't able to contact us to verify the charges were legitimate. You're thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

I usually do notify them, but forgot the last time...a few weeks ago.

Used the card at Chank to purchase the dolphin swim photos with no problem. Daughter then tried to use her S&S at the sundries shop and was directed to the purser's desk. I had to go by and let them swipe my card.

All was well after that! But I will be sure to notify AMX next time I leave the country!

Does anyone notify their credit card company that they will be using their cards out of the country? I was just wondering if the credit card company might get suspicious of sudden foreign charges appearing on our bill. I would hate for them to flag or cancel our card while we're sailing and they weren't able to contact us to verify the charges were legitimate. You're thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

This is a must do especially if you plan on any big purchases.

They don't cover my butt, because I don't owe when fraudulent charges are made.

If credit card companies went out of business, I'd just switch back to cash. It's no skin off my nose. :)

You contradicted yourself in your first sentence. Of course they cover your butt. The simple fact that you AREN'T liable for fraudulent charges is the biggest butt-cover in existence. Somebody has to pay those fraudulent charges.

BTW, you aren't completely off the hook. If someone charges something on your card BEFORE you notify the company that you have lost the card, you may be liable for $50. Some cc companies waive this, but the law allows them to collect the first fifty. After you notify them, you are completely covered.

Why is it asking too much of you to help them cover THEIR financial butts by making a simple phone call?

You know, don't you, that the provision of the law that protects you was put in place in the very early days of bank cards, in order to encourage their use? Today, no encouragement is needed. Many people have become completely dependent on them. It sounds like you haven't. Good for you. However, the banks could lobby congress to remove that requirement from the law. I doubt if many banks would start holding customers liable for fraudulent charges, but they could. I don't like to depend on the compassion of banks.

People on these boards complain about the cruise lines nickel and diming us to death. The banks are worse. If they decide they can get away with it, they WILL begin holding customers liable. The only way banks have been able to increase revenue in the last ten years is to either buy other banks, or find ways to charge for things they never charged for before.

Paul

However, the banks could lobby congress to remove that requirement from the law. I doubt if many banks would start holding customers liable for fraudulent charges, but they could. I don't like to depend on the compassion of banks.

Well, it would have to be ALL of them doing it for it to work at all. If some did start holding customers liable and others still didn't, the ones that did would see all their customers fly out the door... Heck, I've dropped credit cards because they have made matters too difficult during fraud investigations. If a bank wants my business (and they should, as I have flawless credit and charge nearly EVERYTHING I buy to them), then they need to make me feel comfortable and safe.

Bad service:confused: Calling a customer to confirm a purchaseut of the ordinary is bad service:confused: This is the norm when they see a red flag. They do not cut you off automatically..........

First of all, we never notify AMEX that we are leaving the country. We always use the card to pay for our travel in advance, and I have never been denied any charges while over-seas. I have charged 10X's my normal usage and have never been denied.

I don't understand your statement. We have several platinum cards that we never use... they are there in case of an emergency. I had to activate one of them for our Cozumel excursion, as they did not accept AMEX.

We do not carry any credit card debt. If we can not pay it off in full when the bill arrives, we do not need it.... I love the companies that let you use their money for several years for large purchases... good business practice for us.

We have been smart with our money so far, and are very lucky, in this financially difficult economy.

First of all, we never notify AMEX that we are leaving the country. We always use the card to pay for our travel in advance, and I have never been denied any charges while over-seas. I have charged 10X's my normal usage and have never been denied.

I don't understand your statement. We have several platinum cards that we never use... they are there in case of an emergency. I had to activate one of them for our Cozumel excursion, as they did not accept AMEX.

We do not carry any credit card debt. If we can not pay it off in full when the bill arrives, we do not need it.... I love the companies that let you use their money for several years for large purchases... good business practice for us.

We have been smart with our money so far, and are very lucky, in this financially difficult economy.

If you were quoting me.....I have know idea what you are talking about:o

You contradicted yourself in your first sentence. Of course they cover your butt. The simple fact that you AREN'T liable for fraudulent charges is the biggest butt-cover in existence. Somebody has to pay those fraudulent charges.

Yeah, the banks do. :)

They don't have a choice, so it's not out of the goodness of their hearts. if I become liable for fraudulent charges, I'll stop using credit cards.

BTW, you aren't completely off the hook. If someone charges something on your card BEFORE you notify the company that you have lost the card, you may be liable for $50. Some cc companies waive this, but the law allows them to collect the first fifty. After you notify them, you are completely covered.

Any bank that would hold me to the $50 would quickly find their card sitting unused in my drawer with many others.

Why is it asking too much of you to help them cover THEIR financial butts by making a simple phone call?

Um, because I'm the customer and I don't feel I should have to tell some corporation (aside from my airline, my cruiseline, and my preferred hotel chain) my travel plans.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you do call and let them know you are on vacation.

In June I was on the Destiny to the Southern Carribean. This was my third time and I knew to call the Credit Card Co. I called 7 days before leaving, giving the girl I talked to my itinerary and letting them know I would be in the Southern Carribean from June 21st through June 30th. I also wrote down the date, time, girl's name and number (which I asked for).

During debarkation in San Juan I was pulled aside while putting my card into the beep beep machine for the last time and told I needed to go back upstairs to the Purser''s desk because there was a problem with my Credit Card. The 2 other people I was with were already off the ship and in customs - they had no idea why I didn't show up at the baggage area as I was right behind them.

As you all know - it is a nightmare to go back up when everyone else and all the elevators are coming down. It took me 25 minutes to get to the Purser's desk, 20 minutes in line there for them to tell me my Credit Card Co put a block on my card and I owed them 8.00. I paid the 8.00. Then it took another 20 minutes to get off the ship after that. My friends were worried that something had happened to me.

Anyway - as soon as I got home I called the Credit Card Compnay and was on the phone for over an hour complaining about this - apparently the girl who I gave my agenda to didn't even bother to put it into my files, she just put a note that said "on vacation in June". It was still June then, and I was still on vacation when they blocked my card. The reason it took so long on the phone was because I remember her saying my call would be recorded and I had the exact day and time and I talked to a supervisor who was very nice and actually went and listened to the recording where I explained about my trip and the itinerary. In the end I got an apology (big deal) and had my Interest lowered to 1%!!!! Yes - 1% for life.

I think it still is a good idea to call and let them know when and where you be on vacation but be very firm about what you expect the Credit Card Compnay to put into your file and make sure you document who you talked to and what time/date.

We had issues on a Southern Carribean cruise also. We called the cc company and told them about being out of the country, gave the dates, the places. etc. They said they made a note, no worries, have a good time ... Something didn't feel right, so DH called a second time right before we left. They had NOT made a note on our account, so he went over everything again. They assured us that it was taken care of. :rolleyes: I went shopping in Aruba. Bought a tanzanite ring in one place, a blue diamond ring in another, some expensive leather purses somewhere else. Swiped my cc for a t-shirt at the Hard Rock and I was denied! :mad: Of course, they did call a few times back home saying they were concerned over the unusual purchases, our son told them we were on vacation, but since he wasn't the card holder, they couldn't do anything. And the 1-800 numbers on the back of the card do not work out of the country.

DH called very angry at the cc company when we got home, but no offers from them to make amends ... they acted like it was for our benefit, no apology for the hardship it put us in. We no longer have that cc ...

So, I would add be sure you bring the non 1-800 numbers with you, just in case.

Archived