Klaus Lugmaier nominated for Seatrade Insider Award

Tomct

Fans and friends of Klaus Lugmaier may be interested to know that Klaus has been nominated for "Sea-Going Employee of the Year 2008" by Seatrade Insider.

http://www.cruise-community.com/Headlines.asp

NOMINATION:

Klaus Lugmaier,

Fleet Hotel Director

Norwegian Cruise Line

He doesn’t sing (ok, maybe in the shower), nor does he travel in a tricked out tour bus, but he comes pretty close to being the cruise industry’s own rock star. Klaus Lugmaier, a 20-year Norwegian Cruise Line veteran, is always on tour, taking center stage each day on board any one of NCL’s 12 Freestyle Cruising ships. He plays to adoring fans, although he likes to call them guests. Always “making it happen,” Klaus is NCL’s very own rock star, a celebrity among past guests, and an inspiration to his fellow officers and crew.

Klaus’ career began in 1988 aboard M/S Seaward as the head waiter in the first Freestyle specialty restaurant, Le Bistro. He then went on to hold a variety of shipboard positions before becoming one of the youngest hotel directors in the industry at the age of 26. In 2000, he was responsible for the introduction of Freestyle Cruising on Norwegian Sky, an entirely new concept that took the industry by storm. Since then, he’s gone on to launch eight new NCL ships in as many years, each one more successful than the last, including the much anticipated “It Girl” Norwegian Gem in December 2007.

Klaus takes guest service to new levels as the word ‘no’ does not exist in his vocabulary. He and his staff do whatever it takes to make each guest happy. In fact, he has been known to give guests his direct onboard phone number (8888) and tells them to call him any time of the day or night for whatever they need. In his words, “we give everyone rock star treatment.” And so, he likens his time as a hotel director to that of musician: “we have the opportunity to hit the right note from day one by setting the highest standard with the delivery of our product.”

After all those chart topping hits, Klaus was promoted to fleet hotel director in January 2008. In this role, he ensures NCL’s guests’ expectations are continually met and exceeded and that Freestyle Cruising is delivered properly on each and every NCL ship. One of his main responsibilities is to spearhead the successful roll-out and continued implementation of Freestyle 2.0, the company’s fleet-wide initiative to further improve the total guest experience which takes Freestyle Cruising to new levels. In Klaus’ capable hands, all of NCL’s guests will receive rock star treatment and that makes them want to cruise again and again.

It would be great to see Klaus win this award!!

Anyone know where Klaus is these days??

Hmmm, let's try this again since the last thread disappeared...

Klaus is fantastic and deserves any and all honors available in the cruising industry.

Thank you for posting this Tom!

PS, are you going to join us in January??? :D

Not sure why it disappeared - I'm glad you saw it as I thought I may have had a "Senior Moment"!

I'm still hoping to book a cruise, but still too much going on here, and haven't had a chance to pull the trigger. I haven't been able to find an alternative date or itinerary that would top this alternative, so it remains the leader. I know it's getting late, and we'll have to move on it pretty soon, but I'll surely let you know, as soon as it's final. It would be great to see all of you again. My time on this board has been limited, but look forward to getting back as soon as possible. On top of three new grandkids in the picture, each of the other three have had brief bouts with issues that included a broken leg, broken hand and minor surgery. One is completely healed while the other two are just getting back to normal.

[i've always hoped to book something that would stop in Key West, and did have something in mind until that got botched last week.]

I'll be in touch

Tom

Tom, I met Klaus on this past Sunday. He was on our Pearl cruise (they were filming "A Day in the Life of a Cruise Ship"). He was on his way to the Jewel as we headed for home:o He sincerely told us to e-mail him ANYTIME. Seems like a very sharp YOUNG man!!! :cool:

http://www.cruise-community.com/insider_cruise_awards/seagoing.html

For those registered the above link will get you to the nominees and the ability to vote

Thanks so much for the link--voting for Klaus was one small way to thank him for being so amazing!! No one like him--so many wonderful people on NCL doing a fantastic job, but Klaus is king !!

Hi Tom,

I was all ready to start a new thread with the link to voting but glad you beat me to it.

We voted for Klaus yesterday. Seatrade requires name, title, name of company and email in order to vote. DH suggests one write in "retired" in the title and company lines as Seatrade will not accept the vote unless all 4 are filled out.

Klaus is doing great, loves his new job, is on the ships constantly and is very much hands on.

Wonderful that he was nominated and we wish him the best! Rock star indeed!:D

Personally with a name like Klaus that alone should get him the award.

That is a pretty kick ass name!

He's a "Kick Ass" guy in all the positive ways!! So personable, and so sincerely dedicated to making sure you have a great time on your cruise. I'm sure he must have to kick butt sometimes, but I've never heard anything but the highest of praise from crew members.

[I hope this doesn't get posted twice, as my first try hung up about 10 min. ago, and as yet hasn't shown up. ]

Anyone, and I mean anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting him in any capacity on any sailing anywhere realizes what a exceptional genetleman he really is. He is extremely personable and dedciated to customer well being. He should be the standard for any customer service position anywhere. Actually I think there is more than one of him, because he was literaly everwhere on our cruise. A great pleasure it was to meet him, I wish him the best and hope he wins.

Hi Tom' date='

I was all ready to start a new thread with the link to voting but glad you beat me to it.

We voted for Klaus yesterday. Seatrade requires name, title, name of company and email in order to vote. DH suggests one write in "retired" in the title and company lines as Seatrade will not accept the vote unless all 4 are filled out.

Klaus is doing great, loves his new job, is on the ships constantly and is very much hands on.

Wonderful that he was nominated and we wish him the best! Rock star indeed!:D[/quote']

I did use "Retired" as my position, as not only was it true, but seemed most appropriate, anyway.

Folks voting should know that the deadline is Friday, November 14th.

I received the notification from Seatrade yesterday, thanking me for my nomination of Klaus. I'm sure I am one of many that did so, but I feel good that at least in some small way I can be a part of his nomination, and hopefully for his award. Though I am not familiar with either of the other nominees, I can't imagine how they could be "more" deserving than Klaus. It always amazes me how visible he is, how sincerely interested he is in making us happy, yet we know how much work he puts in behind the scene, doing all he can to please EVERYONE on the ship. It's hard to come up with someone else who does such a great job at their chosen profession.

Klaus is a big reason why we have continued to sail with NCL, with hardly a thought of going elsewhere. The current economic climate may have an impact for the future, but for now, I hope Klaus is rewarded for his exceptional performance.

FYI:

Sea-Going Employee of the Year Award to be presented during "Seatrade Med 2008", at a reception co-hosted by VISET Malta Plc and V.Y.S.A. (Venice Yachts Service and Assistance), in the Venezia Terminal Passeggeri, Venice, taking place between 5:30 pm-6:30 pm on Wednesday, December 10th.

I've cruised with Klaus a few times and he is a real Action Man, my only caveat would be who at NCL has been responsible for some of the less favorable aspects or spinoffs of Freestyle V2.0 and recent policy,like just for some examples

the increased specialty restaurant charges, the increased service charge coming in, and the ( I know this will be contentious) ban on smoking in the Cigar Room, the refusal of NCL to countenance anything but butter on the ship, the increased preferences shown to Villa passengers, increased nickel and diming like the charge for fresh squeezed OJ in Cagneys for suite passengers' breakfasts, the buffet in Cagneys rather than proper service at breakfast, removal of some special menu items from pay restaurants etc etc.

And of course this crazy F3 debacle.

I do hope these are not Klaus' ideas, he seems like one of the good guys but someone is doing it and if he is/was Fleet Hotel Director...................

Has anyone noticed the average age of the senior officers in the hotel dept seems to be much lower than it was a few years ago?

The current ones seem to just accept the failings in the main dining rooms, you read and experience personally the same old complaints time and time again, slow service, cold food, poor food quality.That would never have been allowed to go on for long in the old days. I don't necessarily agree with all the complainers however.

It makes you wonder if NCL really aren't bothered about this once they've got your money, and if they really are trying to drive more passengers into the pay extra restaurants.

So is this Klaus' doing or not? If it is then i won't vote for him.

Ah WikiWiki, I remember you from the Hawaiian Luau, wondered how long it would take for you to find our select gathering!

Don't worry, I won't let out your grubby little secret.(LOL)

By the way my alter ego was Les Baggs, but that was a year or two ago.

I did use "Retired" as my position, as not only was it true, but seemed most appropriate, anyway.

Folks voting should know that the deadline is Friday, November 14th.

I received the notification from Seatrade yesterday, thanking me for my nomination of Klaus. I'm sure I am one of many that did so, but I feel good that at least in some small way I can be a part of his nomination, and hopefully for his award. Though I am not familiar with either of the other nominees, I can't imagine how they could be "more" deserving than Klaus. It always amazes me how visible he is, how sincerely interested he is in making us happy, yet we know how much work he puts in behind the scene, doing all he can to please EVERYONE on the ship. It's hard to come up with someone else who does such a great job at their chosen profession.

Klaus is a big reason why we have continued to sail with NCL, with hardly a thought of going elsewhere. The current economic climate may have an impact for the future, but for now, I hope Klaus is rewarded for his exceptional performance.

Tom,

I didn't receive any confirmation of our votes. Is that because I'm not registered on the Seatrade site? I did put our emails on the "ballot" as instructed.

Is everyone else getting confirmation?

Only today and tomorrow left to vote! Let's give Klaus all the support we can. Anyone who has sailed with him knows what a super person he is and how much he cares about his guests.:D

Barb:

I can't say for sure that I received any confirmation. My first thought was no, but since I do occasionally vote on some "Internet" polls, sometimes I do get a "Thank you for voting", and sometimes I never know if the vote took. Some of them show a "results" page, then you know. Usually it's no big deal, but this time I sure hope it was posted.

Best of luck to Klaus!!

Tom' date='

I didn't receive any confirmation of our votes. Is that because I'm not registered on the Seatrade site? I did put our emails on the "ballot" as instructed.

Is everyone else getting confirmation?

Only today and tomorrow left to vote! Let's give Klaus all the support we can. Anyone who has sailed with him knows what a super person he is and how much he cares about his guests.:D[/quote']

Hi Barb,

I didn't receive a confirmation either and I am registered.

Archived