So what are you reading on your cruise?

Nicki61

I read the Shack. It was good although you will hear different opinions. I think parts of it were thoroughly depressing, though, and I would not recommend it for a cruise.

This was recommended so I tried to get a copy at the airport bookstore for my last flight and they had sold out in and afternoon.

Hello,

Three recommendations....

"Blindside" by Michael Lewis...outstanding book about football and life.

"The Glass Castle" is a fascinating true story about a very interesting family of unconventional parents and their 4 children. You wont' be able to put it down.

"1776" by David McCullough...a wonderful read about the most significant year of the American Revolution, told by a master story teller and wonderful writer.

Fred

I already have The Glass Castle on my list.

I'll be enjoying the principles of micro-economics by whoever wrote the boring book. I have my final when we get back. I also plan on reading James Patterson. I love his style and the woman's murder club series was great. Many good authors here so I may go grab one of the suggested instead.

I usually prefer to take paper back books on cruises because they are smaller and lighter to pack, and easier to read in a lounge chair, but I just started the brand new hardback "An American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" by Jon Meacham.

Turns out the book is so compelling that it is going with me on Solstice and Independence the next week.

I usually see what the Friends of the Library are selling. I lucked out the other day, got all three books in a Nora Roberts series for $1.50. Cheap enough to leave.

What is the name of the sequel to Pillars of the Earth?

Got to love getting cheap books. I always leave my books behind when I am done. A way to pass it on...

Is the sequel called "World without End"?

Ok, I am looking for a couple of good books for my upcoming cruise. I LOVE N.Sparks and see he has a new one out. Anyone read it yet?

And now I need another...

So what are you reading on your cruise?

I'll be reading all the activities each day on my upcoming cruise! I don't have time to read books! LOL

I... but I just started the brand new hardback "An American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" by Jon Meacham.

Turns out the book is so compelling that it is going with me on Solstice and Independence the next week.

Wow - I was wondering if it would be a potion for amnesia. Glad to hear it's interesting. Am on the wait-list at my library.

Blair Underwood (remember him from L.A. Law?) has a couple of books out. I picked up "In the Heat of the Night" ....but now I realize it's the 2nd in a series.

Has anyone read his books?

I can't go to sleep without reading, so in addition to a devotional book, I have to have a novel. On our cruise I took a Maeve Binchy and ended up rereading a Harry Potter book from the library. Has anyone but me read Jasper Fforde's books? Every one of them is amazingly wacky. I also liked "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson.

Do you have any suggestion for me?

I'd like to buy books with topics about cruising, sea, ships... maybe a novel, a mystery, tales, whatever, for reading when I am in my cruises. I can buy at Amazon.com and they deliver for me here in Brazil. Thank you!

Hello,

Three recommendations....

"

"1776" by David McCullough...a wonderful read about the most significant year of the American Revolution, told by a master story teller and wonderful writer.

Fred

I loved "1776". I usually alternate my reading between pop novel and a more serious book.

I bought Twilight for the cruise - big, thick paperback that I've heard good things about - but now I'm having second toughts that it might be too romantic.

My other books are a "Change We Can Believe In" - Obama

"Sarah" (book about Palin) by Kaylene Johnson

And I'll finish "A Time to Fight" by Jim Webb.

I asked my DH last night what was his initial thought when the word cruise was brought up - he said pool side, band playing, drink in hand.

My thought is early morning, balcony, quiet, book in hand!

Sharon

I asked my DH last night what was his initial thought when the word cruise was brought up - he said pool side, band playing, drink in hand.

My thought is early morning, balcony, quiet, book in hand!

Sharon

I am a complete mixture of both you and your DH.

Cruise=quiet, balcony & book, then pool, drink and book and some music.

My DH and I have a deal.... he picks any excursion he wants - I'll go along but I insist on a balcony.... for my quiet reading time.

The great thing about reading - I can go anywhere and be happy - I just need a book!!

Sharon

Me too ! I thought I was going to go crazy on our last cruise when I finished the books I brought onboard with 2 days left to go. I found a bookstore as soon as we got to the airport! From now on I will bring 4 books with me. Better to have one unread by the time I get home than to have nothing to read for the rest of our vacation.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my cruise reading outlined. Jodi Picoult... Vanishing Acts

Wanda Brunstetter... White Christmas Pie

Christina Feist-Heilmeier.... Nurses are From Heaven

Terri Blackstock.... Miracles ( the Listener, and The Gifted)

Now if I can just keep my hands off of them for the next three weeks:D.

Maybe I should borrow a few Dee Henderson books from my daughter just in case.

Oh, by the way. On our last cruise one of the people dining with us was a gal who had just had a book published and was waiting for it to come out. Quade 2400 It's a series of science fiction I believe. It is available on Amazon now. She's a lovely person and I can't wait to read her books.

• 2 years later...
I tend to read Wilbur Smith novels while cruising.

On another thread about good novels for a cruise, I posted "River God" by Wilbur Smith being one of my favorite books. Someone posted the title of another W. S. book saying it was even better than "River God." I've lost my note, never got around to ordering the book and can't find that particular thread. Does anyone remember?

I just finished "Unbroken" and thought it was very good. I've started several best sellers lately and can't seem to get into any of them. Any suggestions?

I've been saving an historical fiction by Thomas Hoover Caribbee for our Caribbean cruise in January. It's set in Barbados in the 1600's and deals with piracy, slavery and rebellion.

What I love about my e-reader though is if a book doesn't strike my fancy once I get into it I have several others as back up to choose from. For this cruise I won't even need my charger as the battery last about 30 days!

Archived