So what are you reading on your cruise?

Nicki61

Yes, Sparks has written some very good novels; and I am familiar with the Area where he sets his stories. Let me suggest Ken Follet; he has written a lot of Spy/Detective type but he veered away with a couple of recent novels; "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End". The last one that I have read; 2 day's ago; is "Hornet Flight". All are very well written and easy to read (not your 'penny dreadfuls'), and I would think; unless you are a sight reader; that one would be enough to keep your free hours fully occupied.:D

Yes, Sparks has written some very good novels; and I am familiar with the Area where he sets his stories. Let me suggest Ken Follet; he has written a lot of Spy/Detective type but he veered away with a couple of recent novels; "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End". The last one that I have read; 2 day's ago; is "Hornet Flight". All are very well written and easy to read (not your 'penny dreadfuls'), and I would think; unless you are a sight reader; that one would be enough to keep your free hours fully occupied.:D

"Pillars Of The Earth" is my #1 favorite book of all time. Running a very close second is "River God" by Wilbur Smith. For the ladies who want to put it in neutral for lighthearted reading, try the "Miss Julia" series by Ann Ross. I've laughed myself silly.

I just finished reading: "From Baghdad, with love : a Marine, the war, and a dog named Lava" by Jay Kopelman and Melinda Roth.

Great story & easy read about an American solider serving in Iraq, "finding" a dog and managing to bring him back to the States.

He also has a sequel entitled: "From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava".

Enjoy!

I'll be going to Australia and Southest Asia and like to read culturally-appropriate books, so thus far I am taking:

Soul Mountain by Gao Xinjiian

Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

The Ladies of Missolonghi by Colleen McCullough

3 books is not nearly enough for a 26 day trip so I'll buy others along the way.

As a belated birthday present, last August I bought a Sony Digital Reader. It holds 150 books.

So knowing me I'll most likely be reading one of James Mitchner's (guess I really should say re-reading as I think I've read every one of his books). That or Terry Brooks series - again re-reading. Or perhaps Steven Saylor's books.

I just finished reading: "From Baghdad, with love : a Marine, the war, and a dog named Lava" by Jay Kopelman and Melinda Roth.

Great story & easy read about an American solider serving in Iraq, "finding" a dog and managing to bring him back to the States.

He also has a sequel entitled: "From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava".

Enjoy!

This is the one I am going to read also, and Coyote Dailey by Shelve Stockton.

True story about a lady taking in an orphan Coyote puppy, and now he is a grown animal and they are still together.

"Pillars Of The Earth" is my #1 favorite book of all time. Running a very close second is "River God" by Wilbur Smith. For the ladies who want to put it in neutral for lighthearted reading, try the "Miss Julia" series by Ann Ross. I've laughed myself silly.

Absolutely loved pillars of the Earth but then again, I've not read a ken Follett that I've not enjoyed. each one is so different.

I've now stopped taking books on cruises after lugging a hefty tome the last 2 cruises and not having time to read it for doing other things. So now the only book I take is a Sudoku one - I can bear to put that down after half an hour or so, but a really good book - well i usually can't!

Follett and Cussler are great but do yourself a favor and read ANYTHING by Wilbur Smith. His Egypt series that starts w/ River God and proceeds thru Seventh Scroll, Warlock and The Quest is as good a starting point as any. You'll be a convert.

Also can't go wrong w/ anything by

Grisham, Stuart Woods, Robt Ludlum, Robt Parker, Frederick Forsythe, Daniel Silva, Stephen Hunter, David Baldacci, John Sandford

Hello,

Three recommendations....

"Blindside" by Michael Lewis...outstanding book about football and life.

"The Glass Castle" is a fascinating true story about a very interesting family of unconventional parents and their 4 children. You wont' be able to put it down.

"1776" by David McCullough...a wonderful read about the most significant year of the American Revolution, told by a master story teller and wonderful writer.

Fred

Great! I read "Pillars of the Earth"4-5 years ago and loved it. I'm bringing it again for our transatlantic and just checked out "World Without End" from the library!

I also plan on borrowing from the ships library as necessary... but those should keep me busy for awhile. :D

As a belated birthday present, last August I bought a Sony Digital Reader. It holds 150 books.

So knowing me I'll most likely be reading one of James Mitchner's (guess I really should say re-reading as I think I've read every one of his books). That or Terry Brooks series - again re-reading. Or perhaps Steven Saylor's books.

I too have the Sony Reader, absolutely adore it, can't imagine going back to paper.

I'm currently reading The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille, it's a great read.

Archived